PDA

View Full Version : March / April Lite Challenge - WIP - Kartin Lowlands

Carbus
04-09-2013, 09:45 PM
Hello guys, so itīs been a while since my last challebge, so I decided to give it a try. The theme is a little hard, inicially I thought of making a waterfall city, or even and underwater metropolis, but my drawing and manipulations skills are bellow that, so yesterday I came up with this idea....A region inside a crater ( original I know :D).

No one knows when Kartin Lowlands became populated, but itīs fame it know worldwide. Some theorist say a giant meteor fell in the region, resulting in the massive crater of 150 km wide, some say dark magic took place, and even other says of anciente powerfull civilizations that destroyed each others. The fact is, Kartin Lowlands is know for itīs rich mines, and strategic position. The only safe acess to Kartin Lowlands is through the villages of Prinkton Pass and Sauhuanis Pass, these two developed a safe transportation method, through ropes, and chains, making the acess much faster. (...Continues)

### LATEST WIP ###

Beoner
04-09-2013, 10:02 PM
Intersting, I like the idea where you are doing a "two views" map.

Want to see where this will end up ;)

Bogie
04-09-2013, 10:15 PM
Nice crater Carbus.

Carbus
04-10-2013, 09:09 PM
So quick update, started giving a little more detail to the rocks, cleaned up the water, added more villages, and the main change is the color in the lower map, what you guys think? With or without color? :)

### LATEST WIP ###

Carbus
04-11-2013, 08:56 PM
### latest wip ###

- Max -
04-11-2013, 09:02 PM
Looks interesting so far

Beoner
04-11-2013, 09:13 PM
For me, with color is better, specially now you ahve also coloured the top-view.

It is turning out as a very good map, keep it like that.

Bogie
04-12-2013, 01:49 AM
Yep, the color brings it out and gives it depth.

Diamond
04-12-2013, 04:25 AM
That is pretty cool. The only thing I wondered about is the scale and how it relates to the size of the villages - are you saying that each village is on the order of 30 or 40 km wide?

Bogie
04-12-2013, 09:55 AM
I noticed a similar issue, at that scale, the crater is 50 KM deep. That seems unlikely.

Carbus
04-12-2013, 10:28 AM
Guys I have to make a confession... I suck at scale :( I threw a more or less random number, which size you think would be a more reasonable one? Thanks!

Diamond
04-12-2013, 03:48 PM
I think Bogie's note on the depth is the real pressing concern. Unless your crater-dwellers are specially adapted to living in conditions of extreme pressure, you'll have problems. If you went with something like 6 or 8 km across that'd give you a depth of 3 or 4 km in depth, which is still DEEP but a bit more believable. I would also tighten up your villages (the ones on the crater floor) and make them less sprawling, although that's far less of a nitpick and could actually be explained away culturally.

Carbus
04-12-2013, 04:10 PM
I think Bogie's note on the depth is the real pressing concern. Unless your crater-dwellers are specially adapted to living in conditions of extreme pressure, you'll have problems. If you went with something like 6 or 8 km across that'd give you a depth of 3 or 4 km in depth, which is still DEEP but a bit more believable. I would also tighten up your villages (the ones on the crater floor) and make them less sprawling, although that's far less of a nitpick and could actually be explained away culturally.

At first I was thinking something around 300 meters, but I think in comparison with the diameter of the crater, that still would be something unbeliavable. Thanks for the tips, both you and Bogie! I will adjust the villages, so it's more believable, and maybe even take away the distances, since I still didn't figure it out =(.

Carbus
04-13-2013, 02:00 AM
Hello guys, another update, this time worked on the scale thing, I think it looks better now, I gave it some more room, made the villages more compact, as they were too far spread. Added more colours, some detail, but somehow still I think it misses something, even the Title Iīm not yet sattisfied. But with the little time I had, since I entered the contest this week, Im quite proud of my job this far. Now Iīm going to bed, and if thereīs any time left yet, Iīll try to work on something better!
Thank you guys!

### LATEST WIP ###

vorropohaiah
04-13-2013, 05:26 AM
seeing as the vertical scale is already not to scale with the horiontal, you could just add in a 'vertical scale exaggerated' and mark it as 1 km or whatnot. other than that, this is looking quite cool

Carbus
04-13-2013, 01:02 PM
Quick update!
### LATEST WIP ###

kildairem
04-30-2013, 07:21 PM
Really nice map.