PDA

View Full Version : Atlas Style Mountains in GIMP

jturner
04-20-2013, 07:20 AM
Hello, This is my work in progress for a map using Ascension's Atlas Style tutorial for Photoshop. I've got some brilliant ideas, but the trouble is I'm using GIMP and the section on mountains and hills threw me. I did what I could, but the result is a bit 'blobby'. Can any GIMPsters help? Thanks
J

jturner
04-20-2013, 11:42 AM
Added a few more bits today. I might start the mountains and land colouring again from scratch.

jturner
04-21-2013, 12:01 PM
I looked around the CG site and came across the "Ascension's Atlas Style in GIMP" tutorial by Gidde. I'm pretty happy with the result. Now I want to apply it to the map I already have. I wonder how easy it will be to retro-apply it to an existing map.

EpicSpire
04-25-2013, 11:39 AM
Very nice, I'll check this out for my WIP map.

PapersAndPaychecks
04-26-2013, 03:02 PM
Looks like Alex Ander in your avatar there, jturner. :)

The main issue with that GIMP tutorial that I've found is that you don't have very much control over the placement of the mountains. It leads to mountains being placed in random splotches all over the map----it's a good learning tool while you figure out the GIMP, but in due course you'll want to move on to Arsheesh's Eriond Tutorial that teaches you to place mountains in long thin ranges and sculpt them with Wilbur. (Be confident with following the Gidde tutorial first).

jturner
04-26-2013, 09:42 PM
PapersAndPaychecks, you're right. One of the characters from Dungeon Master, which I recently rediscovered (http://www.ragingmole.com/RTC/). I wasted my week off work designing new dungeons for it, and was unable to explain to my family and colleagues, in satisfactory terms, what exactly I was doing. Both sides experienced a sensation of alienation. I think I might be a geek.

I know what you mean about placing mountains with Ascension's/Gidde's method. I tried cutting and pasting, but the result so far has been a bit blehhh. I'll try the Eriond tutorial. Thanks for the tip.

Jaxilon
04-26-2013, 10:06 PM
You may also want to check out some of the GIMP tutorials by RobA since those cover mountains in GIMP.

PapersAndPaychecks
04-27-2013, 05:50 AM
PapersAndPaychecks, you're right. One of the characters from Dungeon Master, which I recently rediscovered (http://www.ragingmole.com/RTC/). I wasted my week off work designing new dungeons for it, and was unable to explain to my family and colleagues, in satisfactory terms, what exactly I was doing. Both sides experienced a sensation of alienation. I think I might be a geek.

Careful with that thing. When I was recovering from surgery in 2009, I made a small (cough) RTC dungeon (http://www.mediafire.com/?knno25noig2)... then I decided I wanted finer control over the monster AI and some special effects that RTC can't do, so I moved on to DSB (http://www.ojnk.net/dm/dsb/). Which is similar, but scriptable. You can lose days and days in that stuff.

I know what you mean about placing mountains with Ascension's/Gidde's method. I tried cutting and pasting, but the result so far has been a bit blehhh. I'll try the Eriond tutorial. Thanks for the tip.

Yeah, it's good. The magic is in the process of smoothing out the land clouds once you've pasted them----which is really time-consuming. I'm halfway through my effort at that.

jturner
04-27-2013, 07:50 PM
This is the "Eriond" version so far.
TO DO:
- Reduce contrast between land and mountains.
- Figure out why rivers didn't work in Wilbur and/or if you can add rivers manually.
- Add title, compass rose, border, etc.

PapersAndPaychecks
04-27-2013, 08:18 PM
Yeah, I couldn't make Wilbur create rivers using "Incise flow" either. I finished up making my rivers by using the Erosion Cycle option twice. Slightly more detailed description here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/regional-world-mapping/23179-wip-hadra-divela-i-learn-about-wilbur.html).

nolgroth
04-28-2013, 02:38 AM
I was tinkering with making mountains and there is a method that I used to create a "patch" for one of my mountain ranges. It involves using a Stone texture, the Cubism filter, and the Bump Map filter on two or three layers. Once this month's challenge is over, I want to go back and take a closer look at that method and see if I can get a little finer control on the end result.

Also, one of the fine tuning methods for Ascensions (and Gidde's adaptation) for mountains is to use the Lasso tool with a generous amount of feathering to move the mountains around. It isn't a perfect solution, but there is more control over the end result.

Both of your maps are pretty awesome. I prefer your adaptation of Ascension's tutorial better, but they are both fine maps. Keep up the good work.

jturner
04-28-2013, 05:50 AM
Jaxilon: You may also want to check out some of the GIMP tutorials by RobA since those cover mountains in GIMP.

Will do, thanks. I'm working through all the tutorials I can get my hands on, and RobA's are definitely on my list. Time is the only limiting factor. It's great, though - I'm really learning a lot.

PaperAndPaychecks: Yeah, I couldn't make Wilbur create rivers using "Incise flow" either. I finished up making my rivers by using the Erosion Cycle option twice. Slightly more detailed description here.

I'll post over at your thread, but I'm interested to see your progress. Wilbur is completely new for me, but it looks really good. I can't believe people are willing to spend their time making these programs and then offer them for free. Just when I thought I'd lost faith in humanity...

nolgroth: I was tinkering with making mountains and there is a method that I used to create a "patch" for one of my mountain ranges. It involves using a Stone texture, the Cubism filter, and the Bump Map filter on two or three layers. Once this month's challenge is over, I want to go back and take a closer look at that method and see if I can get a little finer control on the end result.

I'd be interested in knowing more about your method when you have time.

Also, one of the fine tuning methods for Ascensions (and Gidde's adaptation) for mountains is to use the Lasso tool with a generous amount of feathering to move the mountains around. It isn't a perfect solution, but there is more control over the end result.

I'll try it!

Both of your maps are pretty awesome. I prefer your adaptation of Ascension's tutorial better, but they are both fine maps. Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the encouragement. I agree about Ascension's method. I think it's because of the palette he recommends - I really like his desert colours. I wonder if I could use Ascension's palette in a gradient map for Arsheesh's Eriond method. Hmmm...

EDIT: I just noticed in Arsheesh's finished Eriond map (http://www.cartographersguild.com/members/arsheesh-albums-my+completed+maps-picture24561-eriond-finished.html) he uses slightly different colours from the tutorial.

jturner
04-28-2013, 10:35 AM
Had 1/2 hour free, so I added some more. Funny how a bit of fluff can make a big difference.

Must credit Jazzon for the parchment background and www.clker.com for the celtic knots.

jturner
04-29-2013, 06:57 PM
So my mountains looked like bits of old chewing gum stuck to the sole of your shoe, and I had no rivers. Hence, I've gone back to the Wilbur height map stage in the Eriond tutorial and redone it. I still couldn't get Wilbur to add any significant rivers. So, after I followed Arsheesh's instructions for Wilbur, I selected Texture > Other Maps > River Flow and set it to about 0.1000 to show lots of small rivers. These don't show up when you save the file (any ideas???), so back in GIMP I drew them in manually, flicking between GIMP and Wilbur to get something approximately the same. Menial, but at least I've got some rivers now. I've read through some of the river threads in the forums, and I'm 90% happy that they follow real-world water flow rules (maybe some of the lakes are a bit unrealistic, but...that's magic). Any river-police observations welcome.

TO DO:

- Add colour. Maybe aim for a more Ascension-ised palette.
- Reorganise national borders and cities to match rivers.
- Re-add map elements. Any suggestions for prettifying would be welcome.

Open to any other suggestions. As well as what's in the tutorials, I've also learned that you need to leave some space for map elements such as the border, cartouche and compass rose. It's fairly elementary, but it saves a lot of hassle later.

PapersAndPaychecks
04-29-2013, 07:43 PM
I think those mountains might be too blobby if you bump map it as-is. If you find it so then I'd suggest that on the mountains layer, you try colours --> curves and scoop out a little in the midrange, and/or reduce the whole layer's opacity, and/or increase the brightness/lower the contrast on the land clouds layer.