PDA

View Full Version : [WIP] DeRust - Training Maps -

Schwarzkreuz
04-25-2013, 06:42 AM
I have been absense so long that I will resume my mapmaker training. Basicly its simple: Making a map within 1h, what I finish in taining I will post here.

Ok, first training map starts now.

Nocturniquet
04-25-2013, 06:51 AM
I got back into map making tonight and have been looking at all your work and styles to learn. Inspirational.

Schwarzkreuz
04-25-2013, 08:00 AM
I got back into map making tonight and have been looking at all your work and styles to learn. Inspirational.

Let me see some map when you have up!

Ok I will post the Results of 1h now (all files 50% Com,pression but full Resolution [18x24 inch])

- Frame 15min,
- Coast 15min,
- Textures 10min
- New Hillset and setup 20min

- Next 1h : Mountainset from scratch, trees/forest and Icons

- Max -
04-25-2013, 08:14 AM
What's the point of this? Doing fast maps or see how much time you spend on the different elements?

Schwarzkreuz
04-25-2013, 08:25 AM
The later. I wat to see how fast my workflow is, and see where I struggle. I am doing this kind of exercise with drawing and painting too.

It helps me reflect on my skills, and to see more clear what comes naturally in a good flow and what not.

- Max -
04-25-2013, 08:40 AM
That makes sense. If it's not for doing fast maps, I'd say, besides the repetitive look, that the outlines of the hills doesn't look very clean.

Schwarzkreuz
04-25-2013, 08:46 AM
Indeed, spend most of hour no. 2 for the mountains, which are much cleaner. This was a direct result of the first hour to see how I can sketchup the elements clean.

Schwarzkreuz
04-25-2013, 09:23 AM
Well here are the mountains for the Map, involving a masking for clone-stamp style.

Took me nearly an hour. Whats taking the longest time here is the Masking.

Schwarzkreuz
04-25-2013, 09:59 AM
Here are the Clusters of the Mountains

Lingon
04-25-2013, 10:36 AM
Looks fantastic for such a fast job – I just spent two hours on nothing but coastlines. Really nice mountains.

Your maps have been very inspirational to me too, by the way.

- Max -
04-25-2013, 01:03 PM
Nice mountains as usual ;)

Chashio
04-25-2013, 01:20 PM
Well here are the mountains for the Map, involving a masking for clone-stamp style.

Took me nearly an hour. Whats taking the longest time here is the Masking.

I know. I've been continuing with my photoshop fiddling to see if I can speed that up. Try starting off your masking process by color-selecting the outlines.

EDIT: To step by step it:

1. You have your line art on a transparent layer if you've drawn it via tablet/stylus, or you can separate it from a scan and arrange it thus.
2. Select > Load Selection OR Right-click the layer preview > Select Pixels.
3. Use the Lasso-Select (add to) tool to select the bottoms of your mountains from either side of the base of the line art outline. (Click and drag from one end to the other on a downward curve to include the base of the mountain). The selection will automatically close in a straight line on top.
4. With that selection open, create a new layer and give it a new mask with that selection. Fill the layer (not the mask) with a color so you can see the extent of the mask.
5. With the magic wand tool ('contiguous' and 'sample all layers' checked) select the background (everything outside the mountains).
6. Create a new layer below the line art and give it a new mask with that selection. Fill the layer (not the mask) with a color so you can see the extent of the mask. Invert it. Be sure to disappear the top layer so you can see everything.
7. Note, any mountains with a break in the top outline of the line art will not be fully masked; you'll have to paint those areas by hand (on the mask, with white color and a hard brush). Do that now.
8. Adjust the mask edge (in the masks panel). Contract the mask until it conforms to (disappears from the outside of) the line art outline.
9. Use a soft, low opacity brush on the mask to smooth out the bottom edge of the mountains.
10. Done. It takes longer to explain than accomplish.

Schwarzkreuz
04-25-2013, 01:42 PM
Yes, I thought so too but than how to proceed after selection? I could not figure out

- Max -
04-25-2013, 01:47 PM
*edit* herm, misunderstood the latests posts :/

Chashio
04-25-2013, 02:10 PM
I edited my post to include step-by-step instructions. Let me know if it doesn't make sense.

Chashio
04-25-2013, 02:21 PM
*edit* herm, misunderstood the latests posts :/

Max, he's making a sheet of png (opaque+transparent, colored) mountains to clone stamp onto his map.

S, I wonder if it'd be easier to make patterns out of them. You wouldn't have to reset your clone location... just click on the mountain pattern you want. hmmm. I'll work on it. :) EDIT: :( Nah, got nothing.

- Max -
04-25-2013, 03:15 PM
Thanks Chasio, I edited my post cause I did an answer which wasn't related to SK's issue :D

vorropohaiah
04-25-2013, 05:16 PM
- Coast 15min,

completely hand-drawn os clouds/threshold? if its the former, im very envious and if its the latter... that's cheating! we cant all make random coastlines.

Nocturniquet
04-25-2013, 07:11 PM
A quick question is your parchment. How do you get your continent to look that way

Schwarzkreuz
04-26-2013, 02:42 AM
@ Chashio: You just saved hours of my lifetime!

@ Vorro: I am Not cheating :| i have a set of 20 Brushes generated from clouds, jagged coast, wobble Coast, nebula, sandbank, cliffs and so on, its than giving you controll over a Black claud on a White layer, use the contrast tool to make it pure black white. Than select all Black, New layer, alter selection Round edges 1-2 Pixel, expand 2px, contract 2px, round 1 px. For the last Things i just created an Action.

@ Nocturn: use the selection and copy a Part of the underlying texture, than make it more light and less contrasty than the ocean, add darkblue borders, add immer glow yellow with strongline and a slight noise

Chashio
04-26-2013, 02:02 PM
@ Chashio: You just saved hours of my lifetime!

;) Glad I could help. I actually just came up with most of that on the spot. I find it much easier to draw everything by hand as needed. But I will have to apply this masking process to a mountain brush set I began a few weeks ago... 'twill help a lot. :)

Schwarzkreuz
04-26-2013, 02:19 PM
I am sometimes not seeing the clearest Way in Working, and am overcomplicated. But we are all here to improove ;)

Here is the newest iteration. Also I have decided to make it a full project not just a training map

vorropohaiah
04-26-2013, 02:25 PM
@ Vorro: I am Not cheating :| i have a set of 20 Brushes generated from clouds, jagged coast, wobble Coast, nebula, sandbank, cliffs and so on, its than giving you controll over a Black claud on a White layer, use the contrast tool to make it pure black white. Than select all Black, New layer, alter selection Round edges 1-2 Pixel, expand 2px, contract 2px, round 1 px. For the last Things i just created an Action.

i was joking, though you;ve intrigued me now. when yo usay you have 20 brushes, do you mean brushes that you use to create coastlines?

- Max -
04-26-2013, 02:25 PM
I sometimes feel obercomplicated aswell :/.....:D Great job so far! That blue sea *love*

Chashio
04-26-2013, 03:35 PM
Also I have decided to make it a full project not just a training map

Just a larger form of training... that you can display in your portfolio when finished.

Schwarzkreuz
04-26-2013, 03:55 PM
i was joking, though you;ve intrigued me now. when yo usay you have 20 brushes, do you mean brushes that you use to create coastlines?

Yes, brushes to paint a Cloud. I did a small Tutorial on that.
Its more compelling to me than puzzle it from Cloud pieces or draw by Hand.

vorropohaiah
04-27-2013, 02:18 AM
cool. i guess thats one of the benefits of coming up with your landmasses on the fly

Schwarzkreuz
04-27-2013, 03:42 AM
Thats why i do this speedmapping training. Its helping me to find new ideas and let me see flaws in my workflow.

Schwarzkreuz
04-27-2013, 10:04 AM
Ok here is another mayor update.

- Max -
04-27-2013, 10:09 AM
Hmm very nice cartouches but I don't know I expected something more "fantasy" to fit the map. maybe it's just me.

Schwarzkreuz
04-27-2013, 10:28 AM
Fantasy stuff is like Sugar, sometimes its over the top.

- Max -
04-27-2013, 10:39 AM
: D Eh well let's see how it will turn!

Schwarzkreuz
04-27-2013, 10:48 AM
Ha, ok, i will try a more fantasy frame later on.

- Max -
04-27-2013, 11:14 AM
Well, go on on what inspires you, it was just a comment ;)

CthulhuPunk
04-28-2013, 08:17 PM
Another inspirational thread subscribed to. At this rate I'll never get to sleep! :D

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD

vorropohaiah
04-29-2013, 02:14 AM
i like the cartouche elements on this. very cool.

Schwarzkreuz
04-29-2013, 04:07 AM
Let's see how to finish this. I am still unsure.

Schwarzkreuz
04-29-2013, 12:50 PM
I have tried a new Water-Style which I like more than the neonblue version. It looks more like a 'real' deep Sea.

- Max -
04-29-2013, 01:04 PM
Nice, I like this deep blue sea!

Chashio
04-29-2013, 01:07 PM
Is that a whale shark I see?

Schwarzkreuz
04-29-2013, 01:15 PM
Whale shark ? Where ? :D

Diamond
04-29-2013, 01:51 PM
I love those cartouches! (Cartouchi?) :D

Chashio
04-29-2013, 02:09 PM
Just right there, see? :D

Schwarzkreuz
04-29-2013, 06:29 PM
Indeed, that was unintended.

Chashio
04-29-2013, 06:53 PM
Indeed, that was unintended.

Just be glad it was a marine animal in the ocean, and very small.

Schwarzkreuz
04-30-2013, 05:29 AM
It was generated by accident with cloudclusters, but I will let it stay :D

Schwarzkreuz
05-02-2013, 10:03 AM
Ok, here is a fully Automated generated Coast + Ocean. I created an PS Action with nearly fifty steps, so it can generate all what is visible here exept the basic landform and the papertexture.
This is to improove my Workflow and to find a way for streamlined Mapping a series of similar maps. Now it only takes half a Minutes to generate a Map Base from scratch and I can concentrate on Landform sculpting and Landscape-Elements placements.

vorropohaiah
05-02-2013, 10:48 AM
so im guessing the action includes blank layer maks that you then fill in with the respective landforms you made for the relevant map? thats cool

aquarits
05-02-2013, 03:22 PM
i am liking this thread. Its a organized workflow almost make me believe that i am drawing the entire map with you, bad can wait for the detailed elapsed time for the entire build :D will be a nice reference for evebody know how are going in the progress.

BTW the names of this places must receive names like you time: Mountains of the 30 mins, Five mins Plateau and your compass follow something like a clock :)
just imagining the map follwing your work.

This shape remember a lots a lich dragon or a t-rex.

arsheesh
05-02-2013, 08:19 PM
This is very cool Schwarzkreuz. Now more than ever I want to get PS so that I can learn how to set up Actions to save myself some time in map creation.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Schwarzkreuz
05-02-2013, 08:53 PM
so im guessing the action includes blank layer maks that you then fill in with the respective landforms you made for the relevant map? thats cool

Its based on Torstans Dungeon Tutorial, just that I record carefully all steps in the Action, which by the way is named Script in french version (Caused some confusion for a certain french person :D ) All you need is having Black and White as selected colors and the selection of your outline, the rest is generated with a selection and a Path. Used stroke path with Brush a lot, and selection keeps the dark textures inside the landmass instead of just be on top of the line/coast.

- Max -
05-02-2013, 08:58 PM
Action, which by the way is named Script in french version (Caused some confusion for a certain french person :D ) .

I wonder who's that confused frenchie :p

vorropohaiah
05-03-2013, 02:40 AM
Its based on Torstans Dungeon Tutorial, just that I record carefully all steps in the Action, which by the way is named Script in french version (Caused some confusion for a certain french person :D ) All you need is having Black and White as selected colors and the selection of your outline, the rest is generated with a selection and a Path. Used stroke path with Brush a lot, and selection keeps the dark textures inside the landmass instead of just be on top of the line/coast.

Im confused, i thought actions didnt record specific brush strokes/paths but generic commands? or did i misunderstand?

Chashio
05-03-2013, 03:04 AM
Im confused, i thought actions didnt record specific brush strokes/paths but generic commands? or did i misunderstand?

You can create a path from selection and stroke it with the current brush. That's all record-able in actions. Then of course you can continue with it by creating a selection from the path and contract/expand/smooth etc and do it all again, and create an action out of another action, yadda yadda yadda. ;) Lots of fun.

Schwarzkreuz
05-03-2013, 06:15 AM
Yes exactly, its very nice and stunning what you can do with those. I have actions creating cloudlayers, colerfill and textures. The only wonky thing is that the actions tends to messup when you record the change of layer orders. So always give them specific names.

Schwarzkreuz
05-24-2013, 10:52 AM
New Trees for the DeRust Set, they are realy realy tiny, but intended for a more Pattern like effect. I hope they work on the map.

C&C welcome

- Max -
05-24-2013, 11:21 AM
Looks good but we have to see that on map to really say

Lezales
05-24-2013, 12:02 PM
I really like it ! How did you achieve that water ? It sure does look gorgeous !

Schwarzkreuz
05-24-2013, 03:52 PM
I really like it ! How did you achieve that water ? It sure does look gorgeous !

Emm thats no water. Its the backdrop to fillin color to the trees and that I dont overlook some spots. That was just a blank color layer

- Max -
05-24-2013, 04:05 PM
I assume Lezales was talking about the water of the previous maps in the thread ;)

Schwarzkreuz
05-24-2013, 09:01 PM
Oh, that was a cloud layer + Textures + 16 Gradientlayers with surbverted and degrading lines in a 1/15 ratio on a 10% vanishing curve. I programmed an action for that. Its easy.

Schwarzkreuz
05-24-2013, 11:17 PM
Here is another update done before I had tachnical issues. Max said that the Density was too low in another version, now others said its too much :/ I dont realy know to get the balance as it seems. C&C welcome.

- Max -
05-25-2013, 07:43 AM
I concur with the others It's now a bit too dense and transitions with lights forests areas should be smoother. Ah well, now you have the light and the dense, I'm pretty sure you can find the balanced one! ;)

Schwarzkreuz
05-25-2013, 10:36 AM
New Version of the trees.

Diamond
05-25-2013, 04:06 PM
Maybe it's as simple as the color of the trees being too dark. What about using a lighter green and seeing how that looks?

Schwarzkreuz
05-25-2013, 04:43 PM
Like this?

Schwarzkreuz
05-26-2013, 01:13 AM
Another try with the forest...

I used Ramahs Treething to make the Forestplacements. Ihope this looks better now?

Diamond
05-26-2013, 02:00 AM
Yep, I like that lighter green color. Not too much of a fan of that treething experiment; it looks too patterned and repetitious.

Ramah
05-26-2013, 10:15 AM
Looks like it could do with the jitters being played around with a little.

Schwarzkreuz
05-26-2013, 05:21 PM
I can use the Jitter now, and had some time while Ramah explained the features to me. I will update soon