PDA

View Full Version : I need a little advice and resource info

Scot Harvest
04-28-2013, 06:49 PM
This is my world map (only smaller) that was my first attempt at cartography.

Unless I can get some good advice I will probably commission one made from this image.

I'm a Photoshop user with fair proficiency familiar with layers and abr brushes.

TIPS?!?

CRITIQUES?!?

waldronate
04-28-2013, 07:37 PM
It's not a bad map. What's the scale on the map (and for the purists, projection)? What styles do you really like? How are you unhappy with this map?

arsheesh
04-28-2013, 11:47 PM
Along the lines of what Waldronate has said, it's a bit difficult to offer constructive criticism without knowing a bit more about what you are trying to achieve. However one recommendation I do have is to spend some time looking into the Photoshop tutorials on offer here. Depending on what style you are going for, you will no doubt find several tutorials which can help you achieve your goal.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Scot Harvest
04-29-2013, 02:30 PM
Nice active forum. Didn't expect such a warm and rapid reply.

As for the map... No scale only concept of 30 day to cross the continent by horseback. Don't really want to lock in scale in miles or kilometres I was looking for an old slightly inaccurate ie rough looking map.

I will look up the PS tuts.

Thanks

Scot Harvest
05-02-2013, 07:00 PM
Well just putting a parchment background and a Rose compass make a HUGE difference.

Scot Harvest
05-02-2013, 07:03 PM
Next step is to make the

GREY area look like open plains,

GREEN area like forest,

YELLOW area like desert

and BROWN area (already with really bad mountain texture) look like mountains.

Scot Harvest
05-02-2013, 07:07 PM
It's not a bad map. What's the scale on the map (and for the purists, projection)? What styles do you really like? How are you unhappy with this map?

Yup, unhappy with this map. I like the GRITTY hand painted look... I think I rushed this.

What do you mean when you say "the purists, projection"?

Korash
05-02-2013, 11:14 PM
I believe that waldornate is referring to a) "purists" - those who seem to always refer to their maps by the type of projection used to show the map , and b) "projection" - the method used to represent a spherical globe on a flat 2d surface (and I DO expect the "purists" to put me in my place by giving a PROPER definition of "projection") of which there are many. My understanding (limited at best) is that ALL projections have distortion to some extent or another, but some are worse that others. To the "non-purist" projection is the LAST thing to concern ourselves with.....

I will now run and hide in my cave before I get overrun by the stampede coming to teach me the error of my ways ;)

BTW, I like the layout of the map, but I am not too sure what some of your mountain sourced rivers are doing.....they seem to be either staying in the mountains or traveling through them....

Scot Harvest
05-02-2013, 11:41 PM
I appreciate you putting yourself in the line of fire in order to shed some light.....

READY....AIM.....

I believe that waldornate is referring to a) "purists" - those who seem to always refer to their maps by the type of projection used to show the map , and b) "projection" - the method used to represent a spherical globe on a flat 2d surface (and I DO expect the "purists" to put me in my place by giving a PROPER definition of "projection") of which there are many. My understanding (limited at best) is that ALL projections have distortion to some extent or another, but some are worse that others. To the "non-purist" projection is the LAST thing to concern ourselves with.....

I will now run and hide in my cave before I get overrun by the stampede coming to teach me the error of my ways ;)

BTW, I like the layout of the map, but I am not too sure what some of your mountain sourced rivers are doing.....they seem to be either staying in the mountains or traveling through them....

waldronate
05-03-2013, 02:36 AM
[Korash described what I was suggesting very well.

Sometimes I get a little carried away and do things I probably shouldn't. Applying the techniques described in the tutorial attched to http://www.cartographersguild.com/mapping-challenge-archive/18120-march-april-2012-lite-challenge-entry-csu-johnsondales-new-found-lands.html I added a little bit of landscape and river texture to that last map to see how it looked. It's an interesting variation on the idea, but probably not quite what you're after.
ATTACH=CONFIG]54180[/ATTACH]

Scot Harvest
05-03-2013, 08:46 PM
Thats a nice piece of work. I shall have to look at that tut to see how you did it.

But you are right, I was looking for something else .....more GRITTY and less satellite image a HAND DRAWN look (without all that work).

I appreciate your effort and will show this to my gaming group and see if the others want THEIR maps like this.

Scot Harvest
05-03-2013, 09:18 PM
I "LOVE" the look of these hills and mountains.

I think they are hand drawn... but if I could find some mountain STAMPS in varying sizes. I would use them!

I'm going to have to hand draw them.... aren't I?!?! lol

Jaxilon
05-03-2013, 09:45 PM
There are a few members around here who have put out collections of mountains along these lines that you can use like stamps. I'm pulling a blank but found StarRaven's here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/mapping-elements/13148-sketchy-map-symbols-magic-circles.html

Scot Harvest
05-03-2013, 10:18 PM
There are a few members around here who have put out collections of mountains along these lines that you can use like stamps. I'm pulling a blank but found StarRaven's here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/mapping-elements/13148-sketchy-map-symbols-magic-circles.html

THATS AWESOME!!

There are PS brushes for these on his Deviant Art site that make these.

Thank you, thank you!

- Max -
05-03-2013, 10:39 PM
I "LOVE" the look of these hills and mountains.

I think they are hand drawn... but if I could find some mountain STAMPS in varying sizes. I would use them!

I'm going to have to hand draw them.... aren't I?!?! lol

Those ones from the Green Havens are indeed hand-drawn. Btw what is this ugly red color you put on it??? :D

Scot Harvest
05-04-2013, 01:08 AM
Those ones from the Green Havens are indeed hand-drawn. Btw what is this ugly red color you put on it??? :D

I was fiddling with the contrast and hue to bring out the line art.... sorry :?

Scot Harvest
05-12-2013, 01:23 PM
Using the mountain PSD layers to construct a more aesthetically appealing map.

I'm adding some snow peaks as well, it seems to be coming along nicely thanks
to Jaxilon and the link!

Progress as of last night (partial close up).

Scot Harvest
05-12-2013, 01:39 PM
I intend to do the same "stencil/brush" treatment for the forest areas.

Forest areas are the solid GREEN layer.

I'm not sure what colors to add to the solid green under the tree stencil.... that could be tedious.

Jaxilon
05-13-2013, 02:39 AM
Not sure what you are going for but you might check out Ramah's Tree thing (http://www.cartographersguild.com/mapping-elements/11361-treething.html). It's pretty awesome.

I'm glad the links helped :)

Scot Harvest
05-18-2013, 03:56 PM
Tried to populate a forest on one of the small islands to see what it might look like with the new PS tree brushes
link courtesy of Jaxilon.

Ya... I know it looks like a rubber stamp fest :?

Scot Harvest
05-21-2013, 05:00 PM
Chugging along... its slow going (1-2 hr per evening).

I'm not liking the open ground area (now multi color) I think I want more snow... but snow is just white so its boring.

The mountains are coming along nicely.

The forests are looking rubber stamp-ish.

The desert area look too "satellite" I guess I need a texture for that too.

Any suggestions

Scot Harvest
05-21-2013, 06:56 PM
Found a really nice old world "wood stamp"? water TUT....

I like it.:)

Does anyone know where to find a better "Old World" water texture?

Scot Harvest
05-25-2013, 02:01 PM
I found some nice middle earth / rune style FONTs for the labels and names.

Forests is coming along better since I colored a couple of trees and used them as STAMPs to make the forest edges more random locoing.

Scot Harvest
06-29-2013, 11:29 AM
Working on Rivers.... I have seen some wonderful examples. but samples or no.... there is no substitute for SKILL!

Should I darken the water??55760

Vinoex
07-09-2013, 08:11 AM
Looking at the topography of the map, I seams to me that the rivers should be flowing out of the mountains into the plans. More of a northward direction. I would keep the origins in the same location, but have the rivers flow through the forest.

arsheesh
07-09-2013, 04:15 PM
Few thoughts. First, there are some inconsistencies in line width. The line work on your mountains and forests is thin and clear and looks pretty nice all around. The line stroke surrounding the island/continent on the other hand is large, fuzzy and pixalized. It looks rather odd. The line stroke along your rivers is thin but barely visible. I'd consider trying to make these lines more consistent; try redrawing the coastline with a pen of the same px size as that which you drew the mountains. Also, make the lines along the shores of the rivers much more apparent.

Second, I find the transition of water color and style from rivers to ocean odd. I think you would do better to pick one style and be consistent with it. My suggestion would be to go with the a solid color for the ocean, perhaps with a lighter hew for the shallower water surrounding the land. You could play around with layer blending modes to try to get the parchment texture to be visible as well.

Finally, there are some inconsistencies in color and texture within the land. Most of your land is covered with a grey-green texture but there are these textureless bright green splotches dispersed within it. These, quite frankly, are an eyesore. This is due to the fact that they both lack any texture, and are bright in comparison to their surrounding. Try to work on making these blend in a bit better by adding texture and muting the brightness a bit.

On the plus side, I like your mountains, forests and city markers. I think there is potential here.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Scot Harvest
07-15-2013, 06:19 PM
Vinex I will look into this, I want this map to look "natural" but also I like hand drawn look (mistakes and all).
I used the river layout from my infant stage of mapping. I think all the river DO need to be re-thought.

Thanks

arsheesh.... WOW insightful and FANTASTIC advice. I'm on it! :)

evilbrotherjohn
09-17-2013, 10:03 PM
I like this version, its more natural.

Scot Harvest
01-04-2014, 07:21 PM
Latest update Sill working (3 hr today) and hoping to finish and print this for the game on the end of Jan 2014

Still humbly requesting critique and suggestions :)

I condensed the pic here hope its not to unruly.