PDA

View Full Version : [WIP] The Threalms | Illustrated regional map of Athtora

Felwynn
04-28-2013, 08:16 PM
Greetings, good people of C'sG!
I finally start a WIP thread, hope you'll enjoy this piece of work.
I'm currently painting a big illustrated map of Thomas C Durand's fictionnal world, Athtora.
I've already shared a black and white map of the Threalms (the three most powerful kigdoms in the world, where Durand's books take place) destined to illustrate some pages in the future.

Now, my current work is a coloured, painted version of them that could be used in a google-map-like app for his official website. Many elements, like towns and location names, would be interactive, while others (clouds, birds, vehicles, etc...) could be placed as animations. At this point my only occupation is to paint the "background" (just the most important part actually).

So. Here's the entire painting...

And the almost-finished sections.
Hasturget Peninsula. At the center of it lies Hasturget, capital of Kathtorn kingdom.

South coast of Kathtorn. The great port of Ressaq is the biggest city in the region.

At the North of Hasturget, these hills mark the frontier with the kingdom of Wirmariche.

Foothills of the mounts Vargarhr. I've been working on these for a while.

Big, primordial forest of Abéliaze, where the books begin.

See you soon for some new pictures!

Diamond
04-28-2013, 08:39 PM
Okay, that is just amazing. This is now among my top five favorites of all time. Repped.

- Max -
04-28-2013, 08:44 PM
Stunning job Felwynn. Repped you aswell

Felwynn
04-28-2013, 08:46 PM
Result! :D

Thank you for this. I feel proud and even more motivated now. Back to work!

Schwarzkreuz
04-28-2013, 08:52 PM
Breathtaking, this is properly taking a long time for all this shading. Respect for your patience.

Sojai
05-01-2013, 12:34 PM
wow! What program did you use?

Felwynn
05-01-2013, 06:12 PM
All is Photoshop now.
The author created his basic world map with fractal terrain, but then he didn't know what to do with it.

I took his first creation (jpg file), and used ps to turn it into a black and white file that I vectorized in illustrator to make it a far bigger file. Then, back to ps. :-) I transformed the all thing into a realistic satellite map to have an overview of the future map (if I finish this satellite version I'll show it to the guild obviously;-)), cut several map layers to define frontiers and other important thing.

Then, for this one work, I use the basic sharp of the land and all elements are painted on the same layer.

arsheesh
05-02-2013, 12:39 AM
Wow, that's some fantastic brush work Felwynn! I'm really excited to watch this develop. Repped.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Eilathen
05-02-2013, 05:35 AM
Wow! Very artistic map, i love it. Your mountains and forests are spectacular.
Have some Rep. !
And i hope you'll do a map of your own in this style.

Schwarzkreuz
06-11-2013, 05:45 PM
Some updates here?

Diamond
06-11-2013, 05:47 PM
Yes please! :D

Adam_Kadmon
06-12-2013, 04:32 AM
Love the style. It must be taking you ages to do!

Viking
06-12-2013, 10:23 PM
I find this map especially inspiring and love how you handled the forest!

Felwynn
07-07-2013, 08:10 PM
It takes hours to really finish one part of it, if it contains a new element, or like now, if I come back at the map after two months x) But it totally worth it! So much fun!

Felwynn
07-07-2013, 08:15 PM
I find this map especially inspiring and love how you handled the forest!
Yes, I'm pretty proud of it but it took me some hours -days ? - to finally find the exact touch I had in mind... A map from Final Fantasy XI helped me a lot when I zoomed in it and observed all textures and painting details.

No news today. After a big work time I want to have fun anew with this map... And can't wait to work on interactive details. Time is the privilege of gods ><

Caenwyr
07-08-2013, 03:50 AM
Wow, just wow. This must be one of the most beautiful maps I've seen on this forum... And there's quite some amazing maps here! My sincerest compliments, Felwynn. I'll be following this thread very closely!

Felwynn
07-09-2013, 06:56 AM
A big thank you. :)

Ilanthar
07-09-2013, 08:46 AM
You got a style of your own,

Your painted mountains are just awesome !! Already an good map, so I'm sure to love the result.

Jabberwockxeno
08-21-2013, 08:21 PM
I absolutely love the style used here. A shame that a lot of the tutorials and tips posted here are for either highly realistic, satellite style maps, or highly stylized, old fashioned maps.

There needs to be more for stuff like this.

CmorEffect
08-22-2013, 03:20 AM
Wonderful style, very inspiring. The detail is fantastic.

Jabberwockxeno
08-26-2013, 08:45 PM
I absolutely love the style used here. A shame that a lot of the tutorials and tips posted here are for either highly realistic, satellite style maps, or highly stylized, old fashioned maps.

There needs to be more for stuff like this.

In fact, have you considered making a tutorial or something on this?

Chashio
08-27-2013, 12:21 AM
In fact, have you considered making a tutorial or something on this?

Not to speak for Felwynn of course, but that might be difficult to do entirely, given the artistic, painterly nature of the style. But also given that nature, you'd do well to find a book or browse the internet for tips and tutorials on painting in general and more specifically for landscape features you have in mind. YouTube is invaluable that way so you can watch someone else do it, or, if you want a really valuable book on painting, take a look at James Gurney's Color and Light.

It doesn't really matter whether the tips are for photoshop or natural media if you plan to use photoshop or similar raster image creating software. The concept is basic: You're trying to create a 3-Dimensional area on a 2D surface. Just think of this type of map as a landscape painting viewed from a higher angle and somewhat condensed, and then paint accordingly.

You could start with a dark mid-tone and work toward the highlights as Felwynn is doing, for the most part, or start light and go dark like a watercolor... it's really just working preference. Strong lights with shadows pop forward, cool colors recede. Try to keep your color warmth pretty even throughout (if your light source is warm, your shadows are cool, plus or minus local color of objects, bounce light and reflective colors). It might help to start if you find a painting or landscape picture you like the color scheme of and pick your colors selectively from that for your brushstrokes. It also helps if you start with a loose sketch, whether a line sketch or a value sketch (paint it roughly in greyscale first then modify the layer with a hue adjustment to something close to the base or most abundant color in your intended piece so it won't stand out so much if you miss a few places) and then paint on top of it... kinda like a coloring book or paint-by-number :)

That was probably less than helpful, but maybe not.

Felwynn
08-30-2013, 02:29 PM
Coloring is a very special thing indeed. Everyone can find a tut on the net but in the end, what makes the difference? Your own way to use what you know about colors.
Maybe I could start with a grey, then paint lights and shadows, and then colorize it. It's the super effective, quick technique of many digital concept artists. I do not paint like this at this time.
I use only colors; with different opacities, and take new mixed colors with eyedropper. I work for long on every single new element and make numerous modifications as the painting takes a form.

Yeah. It is very long.^^
But it's my way to appreciate, imagine and reprensent each details of the little world I'm painting. I think It's the most important when you work on an illustrated map. Of course, the final result must be precise. But during the process I think you need you map to be "living", even if it implies many changes...

I can't give other advices now. But if you ask, yes, i'll try to write a tut about the map. as I still have to translate my first tut into english (http://www.rpg-maker.fr/tutoriels-353-creer-une-carte-avec-rendu.html). Because I also make satellite-like maps. (http://www.cartographersguild.com/members/felwynn-albums-zelda+maps+2010.html) ^^