PDA

View Full Version : Argyros: The Thousand Isles

Diamond
04-30-2013, 12:39 AM
I'm getting sick of and burned out by my other projects, so I thought I'd start ANOTHER map to relax. Yeah, right. :D

This is (pretty obviously) heavily influenced by Greece. I started out with a bog-standard atlas map of Greece, traced it, and altered it where I saw fit. We'll see where it goes. I swear to Hades I WILL draw my own mountains for this one.

vorropohaiah
04-30-2013, 12:44 AM
very nice, i love these archipelagos.

though it would be nice to see a finished map for once :)

Diamond
04-30-2013, 12:50 AM
*hangs head in shame* I know... :(

This time for sure!

Chashio
04-30-2013, 01:23 AM
haha! I'm right there with you Diamond. I have an uncountable number of maps floating around in various states of un-finish. No time to count them. :)

vorropohaiah
04-30-2013, 02:27 AM
This time for sure!

how i wish that were true :p

Schwarzkreuz
04-30-2013, 03:05 AM
*hangs head in shame* I know... :(

This time for sure!

This Words will be my epitaph on my tombstone :P

- Max -
04-30-2013, 06:51 AM
though it would be nice to see a finished map for once :)

I can just concur with that! :p

Eilathen
04-30-2013, 06:53 AM
Nooooooo!!!

Back to your Arnonas Redux map....now! Or i will be forced to publish the fotos when you were cheerleading.... :D

On the other hand, every new Diamond map is welcome... *puts fotos back into his blackmail-folder* ... WHAT?!

Diamond
04-30-2013, 03:47 PM
Never speak of that again, Eilathen. ;)

Diamond
05-01-2013, 12:45 AM
I know Eilathen will hate these mountains, but never fear! I plan to add some shading to them, probably a soft brown to indicate shadow on one side. What are your thoughts on the mountains, and on the crosshatching? Thanks to Rob for the pattern, by the way.

Schwarzkreuz
05-01-2013, 03:26 AM
I always envy your Basic skills in composition and your use of landmass forms.
Cant wait to see this taking shape

Chashio
05-01-2013, 10:08 AM
My mountains often look like that to begin with. I actually have a little watercolor map in my sketchbook with mountains and hills penciled to that effect, each shaded with a red-brown brushstroke. It's simple but effective. I might be tempted to apply a grunge mask to the crosshatching to break it up a bit and subtle-ify it.

Diamond
05-19-2013, 04:17 AM
Sooo... I decided to completely alter the shape of the region. I decided to go for more of a complete Mediterranean vibe. The northern landmass is home to a Roman Republic equivalent, in the east is a faux-Persian Empire, and in the south are the pseudo-Greek city-states.

Eilathen
05-19-2013, 06:42 AM
Sooo... I decided to completely alter the shape of the region.

... surprise, surprise... :D

On a more serious note: I like the new landshape. And you have a relatively simple but effective mountain-style, i like it (:o .... ;) ).

- Max -
05-19-2013, 07:11 AM
I concur with Eilatehn, this new landshape is great!

vorropohaiah
05-19-2013, 07:21 AM
seriously, this is getting annoying :p

is that the whole map or a cropped section? doesnt seem like the whole thing to me. have to say i think this is a bit of a step down rom the archipelago you had before, which offered a lot more scope for interesting details in the map, though thats more of my personal taste than anything wrong with the new one

Diamond
05-19-2013, 02:52 PM
@Eilathen: glad the mountains meet with your approval. ;)

@Max: thanks!

@vorro: as a matter of fact, this IS a cropped and altered version of the map below that I finished Friday. I actually went to this close-up version because I felt like the big map didn't have enough room to include more detail...

Chashio
05-19-2013, 03:43 PM
Are you going to erase the partial mountains that bleed over the edge of the map? That's the only thing that looks a bit odd. I like the land-forms very much. And that Circle map is Fantastic!

Diamond
05-19-2013, 07:47 PM
Finished up (most of) the borders and cities, and started adding in some regional and national labels.

- Max -
05-19-2013, 08:27 PM
Some classical Diamond's style :) Already like it!

Eilathen
05-20-2013, 06:12 AM
Oh, i like the "world" map! Nice touch with the kingdom descriptions.

@Eilathen: glad the mountains meet with your approval. ;)

After looking at them some more, i really dig them. Any chance for a brush you'd be willing to share?

Diamond
05-22-2013, 12:16 AM
You know what's going to suck? Thinking of dozens and dozens of pseudo-Greek and Roman and Persian names for all those towns...

Eilathen
05-22-2013, 05:49 AM
You know what's going to suck? Thinking of dozens and dozens of pseudo-Greek and Roman and Persian names for all those towns...

lol...yeah.
You know what's funny? A friend and i are working on a more or less identical setting to yours...and we also had our brains in knots for fitting names :D

And thanks a lot for the mountains, Diamond, highly appreciated!

And i know i am a pain in the ass but any chance that you'll do a tutorial for those awesome circle-heraldry-"shields" . They are awesome.

vorropohaiah
05-22-2013, 06:30 AM
Seventh Sanctum - Greek-Style Namer (http://www.seventhsanctum.com/generate.php?Genname=greeknamer)

:)

Diamond
05-22-2013, 01:44 PM
And i know i am a pain in the ass but any chance that you'll do a tutorial for those awesome circle-heraldry-"shields" . They are awesome.

Those aren't mine; they're scans of shield transfers from a 28mm miniature company that I've had lying around gathering dust for a couple of years. I'm probably going to redraw them, actually, so they're more 'original'.

Gumboot
05-22-2013, 04:15 PM
I have nothing to add really, buy just wanted to say I'm finding following the creation of everyone's maps to be fascinating and pretty awe-inspiring. That circle map is gorgeous.

thamupp
05-23-2013, 08:19 AM
Inspiring thread! Since you decided to move away from the real world shape I couldn't help my self but to make my own map of Ancient Greece. Gathering even more inspiration from this board the map started to look awfully much like vorropohaiah's WIP map of Korachan. Perhaps I'll throw it up here later in a WIP thread, but it doesn't feel very original at the moment.

Eilathen
05-23-2013, 10:05 AM
Those aren't mine; they're scans of shield transfers from a 28mm miniature company that I've had lying around gathering dust for a couple of years. I'm probably going to redraw them, actually, so they're more 'original'.

Ah ok. Maybe your redraw process is worth tutorial-izing?
Anyway, looking forward to the progress of this WIP.

WillP
05-23-2013, 03:34 PM

Think of normal names, plug them into Google Translate.

Diamond
05-24-2013, 12:52 AM
Think of normal names, plug them into Google Translate.

Oh, that's a good idea! I've been using vorro's Seventh Sanctum link too, but some of those names are either unpronounceable or just plain goofy.

rdanhenry
05-24-2013, 03:18 AM
You can also just use a lot of real names. Sure, you might want to stay away from a dozen or so really famous ones, but you should still be able to find a goodly list of names to get you started.

Diamond
05-25-2013, 11:31 PM
Wow. That was exhausting. I used four or five different name generators, plus Michael Grant's 'Guide to the Ancient World'. Also added some simple forests and major roads.

thamupp
05-26-2013, 03:08 AM
Wow. That was exhausting. I used four or five different name generators, plus Michael Grant's 'Guide to the Ancient World'. Also added some simple forests and major roads.

Wow, looks great! The forests are indeed very simple, but still very interesting. Do you intend to keep them in this form? I quite like it actually.

Oh, and how did you get a hold of that book? Did you buy it? I suspect it might be very helpful for my current project.

- Max -
05-26-2013, 05:01 AM
Very nice and clean job as always!

Eilathen
05-26-2013, 08:09 AM
The landshapes are very pleasing to my eyes (as almost always with your maps, D) and the mountains, as i already said, are very fitting.

The forests though... ugh. I think in a map where you have a realistic representation of the mountains, those abstracted placeholders for forests do not work at all (style-clash!). I hope you'll reconsider and do more realistically represented forests (for example through closely put together tree-icons or something similar).

- Max -
05-26-2013, 01:21 PM
i concur with Eilathen on the landshape. Your maps have always very nice ones, well balanced between lands and seas.

Diamond
05-26-2013, 01:22 PM
Wow, looks great! The forests are indeed very simple, but still very interesting. Do you intend to keep them in this form? I quite like it actually.
Thanks. I like 'em too, but... I think Eilathen is right. They clash with the mountains.

Oh, and how did you get a hold of that book? Did you buy it? I suspect it might be very helpful for my current project.
I bought it years ago, but a quick look at AmazonUS shows 35 copies, starting as low as $0.06.

jbgibson
05-27-2013, 02:01 AM
One thing you could do with this minimalist forest representation, or some similar effect that's low on busy-ness, is to show forests running up into the mountains. Many major ranges are virtually carpeted, yet using mutually exclusive symbols leaves a landscape looking like all forests are flat and all mountains are bare.

If the clash is that these area tints look more mechanical than handmade, maybe you could do the same thing with some mildly blotchy washes - unsaturated green maybe, and light enough to not compete with the labels?

Even as is, this already looks really good!

Diamond
05-27-2013, 07:30 PM
I'm still deciding how I want to do the forests (will probably revert to tree icons), but in the meantime I've started working on some sigils for the various nations. The sword & shield icons at the top of the two boxes are vector clipart from here: Image Of Shield And Crossed Swords Royalty Free Cliparts, Vectors, And Stock Illustration. Image 12889384. (http://www.123rf.com/photo_12889384_image-of-shield-and-crossed-swords.html)

You can see from the layout that I'm copying one of my cartoheroes. :D

jtougas
05-27-2013, 07:45 PM
Wonderful as always Diamond. I am such a huge fan of your work :)

Diamond
05-27-2013, 07:50 PM
Thanks, JT!

Schwarzkreuz
05-29-2013, 08:45 AM
I think the font is toooo playfull and stealing away the simplicity of the map, also the borders of the Paperbanners are too thick in my opinion I would reduce them by half. Normally I realy like your Map decorations, but this time, no. Everything seems way to thik and distracting from the map :(

vorropohaiah
05-29-2013, 08:58 AM
i quite like the font - reminds me of the maps on ancient warfare magazine - and it fits in with the type of setting.

though, shields/banners.. were seeing a lot of maps with shields and banners and they're fine as one-off sort of thing but im getting shield/banner fatigue to be honest.

Schwarzkreuz
05-29-2013, 09:00 AM
If I may reminding, wasnt you the one starting in with the new Heraldry wave :D ?

vorropohaiah
05-29-2013, 09:15 AM
if i knew the beast id be creating when i done it i would have left them out! i was trying to be 'original' as i saw very few maps with shields on them... (of course there were maps with shields and banners before then but i hadnt seen any recent ones in quite a while)

- Max -
05-29-2013, 09:26 AM
I think there were maps with banners/shields way before Vorro did his owns.

jtougas
05-29-2013, 10:19 AM
To stick my nose into the heraldry issue, I think a map of this sort needs those type of touches.

Schwarzkreuz
05-29-2013, 01:35 PM
Waves comes and goes, I was not implying he hat some innovation with Schields. Just that it was so well made that he inspires more than a few copycats, including myself in the Line.

Diamond
05-29-2013, 11:45 PM
To be fair, I was doing heraldry (or pseudo-heraldry) on my maps years ago: http://www.cartographersguild.com/regional-world-mapping/12948-union-holy-kingdoms.html :D I like coming up with banner/flag/shield/heraldry designs almost as I like to make maps, so it's probably fair to say you'll see a heck of a lot more of it from me in years to come.

SK: do you mean the line thickness of the banners on top of the swords & shields?

As for the font, I like it. It's legible at large and small sizes, and it has a Greek flavor to it. Be thankful I didn't use the font of the title box for everything!

vorropohaiah
05-30-2013, 12:56 AM
ok... i think i was misquoted or came across the wrong way - i never said i was the first person to use heraldry in maps *(ive only been posting regularly here for about a year anyway)! i just meant that were seeing a lot of maps themed around maps lately. seems like the 'new craze' so to speak. would be nice to see something different

Diamond
05-30-2013, 01:04 AM
Oh, I didn't mean to imply that you meant that! Darn internets - hard to convey correct emotions with mere pixels. :D

vorropohaiah
05-30-2013, 02:02 AM
not sure if this is any help - http://blog.coghillcartooning.com/1654/greek-key-pattern-border-generator/

Diamond
05-30-2013, 02:07 AM
That is WAY helpful. Thanks!

Eilathen
06-28-2013, 06:23 AM
Hey D, any news on this one? I'd really like to see this continuing on.

- Max -
06-28-2013, 06:36 AM
I can only concur with this!

Diamond
06-28-2013, 03:46 PM
Yep, I will finish it eventually. It's actually pretty close to done already, I just got sidetracked by other projects. :D

Eilathen
06-28-2013, 05:40 PM
Other projects?! Please show us :D

Good to hear this one's close to the finish line. Looking forward to it.