PDA

View Full Version : The Ring of Kryll - Fantasy map

- Max -
04-30-2013, 06:21 AM
Hi everyone,

Since I have a well established reputation of hyperspeed mapping to keep, here's my latest personnal work, the Ring of Kryll :D I wanted to test out some new mountains and go back with an oldy touch on this one.
The basic setting to explain the heraldic on this one : the lands of Kryll are ruled by 10 Houses that had discovered the power of some sacred glyphs and therefore spread their influences around the Ring.

As usual, the map was done in Photoshop using some hand-draw material, vector stuff and digital work. Size is 4252x4252px (with less resolution on the uploaded version)

You can find the WIP thread here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/regional-world-mapping/23157-wip-ring-kryll-fantasy-map.html). Thanks for the support and the comments, which always keep the motivation up. Special thanks to SchwarzKreuz that follow the map all over the process :) Comments are welcome, i hope you like it!

Feel free to rate, rep or run away :)

vorropohaiah
04-30-2013, 06:32 AM
great map. unfortunately youre unreppable at the moment :p i prefer a slightly darker colour on the sea though.

- Max -
04-30-2013, 06:45 AM
Thanks :) Yes the sea is kind of light but I wanted to keep the contrast a bit high between lands/frame and sea.

LaurentusVonSenin
04-30-2013, 09:57 AM
Wow, those mountains are awesome.
Beautiful map!

- Max -
04-30-2013, 10:32 AM
Thanks, comment appreciated! :)

Sapiento
04-30-2013, 10:34 AM
Really a fine map!

ravells
04-30-2013, 11:12 AM
Amazing work, Max. I missed the WIP on this one.

- Max -
04-30-2013, 11:15 AM
Thank you guys!
@ Ravells, eh well it was kind of fast that's true. How I like vacation days :D

Bogie
04-30-2013, 11:22 AM
Excellent detailing and the mountains are great.

- Max -
04-30-2013, 12:20 PM
Thank you Bogie, glad you like it!

arsheesh
04-30-2013, 03:20 PM
As always, lovely work Max!

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

- Max -
04-30-2013, 06:36 PM
Thanks you Arsheesh :)

Schwarzkreuz
05-01-2013, 06:56 PM
Another excellent map. I was able to witness the WIP closely and discussed with -Max- a lot about this map, but am Still very impressed by the time it took him to do such a well made map. I cant wait to see more maps comming from him.

What impressed me most is his skillfull implementation of the Shields and heraldic elements which blended perfectly into the map without overcowding them with elements!

aquarits
05-01-2013, 07:28 PM
yes, it is really a amazing work, i suggest you make a annex talking about the houses wut really make we wonder wut is happening in this place :D cant rep atm, but i gave my like :)

What impressed me most is his skillfull implementation of the Shields and heraldic elements which blended perfectly into the map without overcowding them with elements!

btw i see ppl talking about heraldic and tried search about it, just found that is something like a science about the build of shields. But still don't understand how it is implemented in the maps.

Schwarzkreuz
05-01-2013, 08:13 PM
Its about the symbolics, forms of images and their interpretation and what belongs to which noble houses.
I am interested in this kind of Icons seeing them lately a lot like on Vorro's maps and realised their importances for Fantasy Maps simulating an authentic Medieval feel.

aquarits
05-01-2013, 11:50 PM
You mean that shields will say what every house have like a main feature? Like a hammer says craft, cross religion, candle academics?

- Max -
05-02-2013, 04:29 AM
As far as I know, shields arms use to show the identity of the bearer of the arms and also his lineage. They could evolved with time passing, showing some personnal/political/familial changes like political/familial alliances, inheritance, title of honor. Humans always used signs and symbols to show their cultural/familial/political lineage (like tatoos, flags, signatures, sigils - mostly derivated from coat of arms at the first and so and in modern eras, flags and even logos...) By the way, there's only a fews things known about the meanings of symbols used on medieval shields.
So yes, I think heraldic is an interesting thing on map because you can show more or less things with them, adding nice design/colors details with it, along with some major informations about the background/settings of the aread depicted without crowding it with walls of texts. Maps are using a lot of symbolic/iconic stuff to spread informations so heraldic can just be used as a consistent part on them. Fantasy also gives the opportunity to create some nice evocative designs on heraldic that easily gives.
Oh and thanks you for the comments guys, much appreciated! :)

aquarits
05-02-2013, 07:55 AM
hell yes, but i suppose that some ppl dont know right about it, sometimes using absolute complex forms in shields wut make the heraldic wrong.
I saw that most part of times need to use simple singles like a sword, a small plant or a animal representing the region, in some specific situation uses different symbols if need to represent a academic group or religion group.

In Krylll specific we can see all the 10 different symbols wut tnx to the initial description makes all sense, maybe are not army houses or the army is more directed/ based in other culture.

That is why we are talking, and not for nothing :D suppose that we need something to clarify the things about the houses :D like a new project

- Max -
05-02-2013, 08:21 AM
hell yes, but i suppose that some ppl dont know right about it, sometimes using absolute complex forms in shields wut make the heraldic wrong.
I saw that most part of times need to use simple singles like a sword, a small plant or a animal representing the region, in some specific situation uses different symbols if need to represent a academic group or religion group.

That's indeed one of the first rule of the heraldry: shields have to be plain, consistent and not over loaded ( bu this rule has sometimes been broken over the eras :D ) but I guess that once you got the "spirit" of it, you can do many things with it in a fantasy setting.

In Krylll specific we can see all the 10 different symbols wut tnx to the initial description makes all sense, maybe are not army houses or the army is more directed/ based in other culture.

That is why we are talking, and not for nothing suppose that we need something to clarify the things about the houses like a new project

I'm not especially a world builder and most of the time, the very few settings ideas just come while mapping. Means that I don't start with a world to create a map but make a map to create the world ;) So I'll let you with your frustration (or your imagination) with the Houses of Kryll since I'm already on another project :D

aquarits
05-02-2013, 10:29 AM
:)
just bugin you, a good map just arouse curiosity!

HiighLander
05-08-2013, 10:42 AM
So, I found this on Google. Loved it so much I had to come make an account on this site and see it up close!

- Max -
05-08-2013, 11:04 AM
:) Thanks much Hiighlander, glad to have attracted you in this awesome place ;)

vorropohaiah
05-08-2013, 11:25 AM
yeah, i think most royal families crests/shields are pretty busy, for instance...

http://shard2.1stdibs.us.com/archivesE/upload/8643/313/XXX_8643_1331324341_1.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/dd/Coat_of_Arms_of_Baldomero_Espartero,_Prince_of_Ver gara.svg/250px-Coat_of_Arms_of_Baldomero_Espartero,_Prince_of_Ver gara.svg.png

- Max -
05-08-2013, 11:43 AM
Too busy for my tastes. The ones on Kingdoms of Kesh will probably be a bit more than the ones used on this map but not that much...

captainbill47
05-08-2013, 12:59 PM
I really like the idea of having the Island in the middle of the larger continent. All kinds of fun stuff could live on that island. :)

captainbill47
05-08-2013, 03:29 PM
I really love this map and that island in the middle just screams all kinds of fun and nasty ideas at me. :)

- Max -
05-08-2013, 03:32 PM
Thanks you Captainbill, be careful of the volcano and the rocky desert, some hard places to survive there ;)