PDA

View Full Version : *** April Challenge VOTING - Using Dwarf Fortress ASCII Maps as a Source ***

Robbie
05-02-2013, 10:35 AM
This month's challenge was to use Dwarf Fortress as an ASCII source for a map. We had quite a turnout this month, and the entries look great!

Look through the month's submissions:

Challenge Thumbnails (http://www.cartographersguild.com/challenge_thumbs.php?type=regular)

Be sure to look in the WIP threads to see the original ASCII source maps for comparison before deciding who you vote for.

You can vote for as many as you like. Be sure to rep all those entries you vote for and may the best map win!

The voting will last for 4 days and the winner will receive worldwide recognition, the showering praises of his/her peers, and a neat little thingy (golden compass).

nolgroth
05-02-2013, 10:58 AM
Good luck everybody.

vorropohaiah
05-02-2013, 11:31 AM
my votes went to diamond, matty406 (my overall fave - love the shape and 'different' look this has compared to the other entries) and SK. very good month with lots of nice varied entries. shame i lost the drive to finish mine...

Larb
05-02-2013, 11:56 AM
Well this isn't easy. I'm still trying to decide. Great work everyone.

Chashio
05-02-2013, 12:07 PM
I voted for Diamond's. Attention to detail, clean, nice style, well labeled. Was going to vote for Schwarzkreuz as well, but the sausage-string borders kinda threw me off. :)

Really nice job everyone! You all get gold stars.

Edit: lol

- Max -
05-02-2013, 12:20 PM
My votes went to Diamond (very nice tones overall, some nice detailed map - Even I miss the creal celtic touch), SK ( nice drawline and lovely old touche with cartouche and heraldry - Though labels and borders would have need some work to make it better) and Javert (a very nice and clean map, pleasant to look at). Good jobs everyone!

Schwarzkreuz
05-02-2013, 01:14 PM
First Time I had the feeling, I realy finished a Challenge. :o

Diamond
05-02-2013, 01:27 PM
Well, I had to vote for SK, if only because he finished a challenge. :D Nah, just kidding, SK, awesome looking map. And then Javert's just for the sheer amount of info crammed into it (I like detail); Larb's for the cool off-the-beaten-path choice; Sap's usual vibrant colors and painterly layout; and Matty's for those awesome mountains and cool design.

Javert
05-02-2013, 02:20 PM
Larb had my vote. He took the challenge in an unexpected direction, and did it very well. I'm just glad I finished! Thanks for the votes guys

ravells
05-02-2013, 04:09 PM
Don't do yourself down, Javert, that was a super map. Diamond has the 'DJ Spek' effect on me. I just see his map, start salivating and vote for it. Vorri is a master of borders, really beautiful ones.

Bogie
05-02-2013, 04:36 PM
Great challenge, generated a lot of interest. I voted for Diamond and Swartzenkreuse because WOW, Sapiento because the map is very nicely put together, and Larb because he did a great job with the iso dungeon. There were some other very nice maps that would have got my vote if the competition wasn't as tough as it was this time.
I might have entered the comp if I had taken the time to realize the dwarven fortress program could be used to make dungeons, not just continents. Oh well, my loss.

Schwarzkreuz
05-03-2013, 01:03 AM
Even if i kill my chance of winning but i have to vote for Diamond, its a great entry!

TheHoarseWhisperer
05-03-2013, 01:36 AM
There were some really great maps this month. I had to restrict myself to only voting for two, but it was a hard thing. My choices:

Schwarzkreuz - superb. Like Chashio, wasn't too keen on the sausage-borders, and the trees without shadows bothered me a bit, but I absolutely loved the painterly style. Best map, without a doubt.

matty406 - really liked this little map. It stood out among the others as a simple but pleasing work. There's some room for improvement, but, as a first work, I think it was worth a vote.

Honourable mention to Larb. You can never go wrong with an iso map.

There was something about Diamond's that I wasn't too sure about; it's a great map, but perhaps the digital linework on the weathered parchment was a mistake.

Eilathen
05-03-2013, 06:28 AM
Yeah, a very strong challenge for April.

I voted for SK and matty406. Both had really nice mountains (:D) and just an overall pleasing layout. I especially liked SK's heraldry, very authentic looking.

Diamond's map is, as always, a looker. Nice landshape, i like the heraldry as well but i really didn't like the very abstract representation of forests and moutains. And (that maybe totally my hang up) the name just made me expect a much stronger celtic influence/vibe (although the compass rose is superb).

Too bad vorropohaiah didn't finish his map. I think this would have been an awesome map. I like the landshapes a lot. Maybe you can finish it later?!

vorropohaiah
05-03-2013, 06:42 AM
Too bad vorropohaiah didn't finish his map. I think this would have been an awesome map. I like the landshapes a lot. Maybe you can finish it later?!

ill try. dont seem to have much luck in these challenges, do i. i think its my insistence on shoehorning every entry into conworld, rather than just making an entry for the sake of it. i think it backfires as i try hard to find a way to fit the entry into my world, and the end result suffers as a result.

regarding this particularly entry i was perhaps too subtle with the textures i used (theres about 3 each on land and sea, o 6 different ones total, and none of them show that much) and the land was perhaps too white. i might go back to this one and try finish it off, though im more likely to start again from scratch.

perhaps some random entries to help hone my skills would do more good than harm.

Chashio
05-03-2013, 08:48 AM
That's the way to do it, vorro; random maps purely focused on design, style, technique, and detailing to best effect, and keeping them pretty small. Like filling a sketchbook full of masterpieces... if you're not trying to follow a certain set of rules or fit it into a larger picture, and you go at it from a perspective of 'it's a sketchbook so it doesn't matter if I screw it up' you'll surprise yourself with what you can do. I've found it so at least. :)

Schwarzkreuz
05-03-2013, 09:11 AM
thats the reason, i do those time maps. Get the energy and inspiration of a fast Little try, instead of forcing Big maps and become frustrated

Larb
05-03-2013, 07:27 PM
I had a hard time choosing my votes. Lots of very good maps. I broke my three votes only rule and even then I still wanted to pick more.

Javert's was a particular favourite. Sapiento's as always are finely crafted, Dimond's was really nice looking (love the palette), as was SK's. Also I think SK should get a special award just for finishing a challenge and not just giving us a wonderful picture to look at. (gold star for you, SK) =P

Vorr's was very nice but I don't really vote for unfinished maps - nothing to do with the execution but mainly because I think it is more fair to consider the finished ones primarily. I am sure Vorr's would have been wonderful if completed.

On a side note I am surprised by the lack of votes for Nolgroth. I think it is a very fine looking and clear map. I don't think there is anything wrong with it at all really. I hope the result is not discouraging. I put it down to the horrendously tough competition this month.

Oh and Larb isn't a he lastly I guess but I don't give out personal details.

*edit* I forgot to mention Khamero. I thought it looked good and I suppose the real life media helped. I find it hard to judge ACTUAL painting (my art practice has always been self-taught pen and pencil and then I bought a tablet - never did any real life watercolours or anything). But it looked good and I liked it so I voted for it.

Schwarzkreuz
05-03-2013, 08:04 PM
Its is a crazy race between Diamond, you and me. Every single Vote changes the ballance.

@CLeaders: What happens when there are several entrys with the same amount of votes?

Diamond
05-03-2013, 09:09 PM
I think there's been a time or two in the past with a tie where they both received a compass. Not sure how that exactly works though; I am but a noob CL...

ravells
05-03-2013, 09:16 PM
If there are joint winners then I believe that each of them gets a compass (regardless of the amount), rare thing to have 3 though!

Schwarzkreuz
05-03-2013, 10:13 PM
Would be funny if we had 3 winners this round :P

Depassage
05-04-2013, 06:23 AM
Woaow, lots of really good work here... It'll be difficult to give my votes...

1/ Eshtannakuth by Larb: good work and original given the topic
2/ Isiliad Delemai - The Wretched Realms - by Schwarzkreuz: nice work, I really appreciate the details and feeling, the border too
3/ Lorgan by Sapiento: good work, as usual, really like the color scheme and border

Honorable mention:
Khemet by vorropohaiah: really like the location icons
Tir Oiche by Diamond: would have been one of my first 3 without the mountain little problems
Bagsnubxesorosmlo by Javert: nice and original with not so used style about forest etc.
Orsmata by matty406: nice work

Other:
Numthur by mostly_harmless: nice, but for me this is not really a map, it lacks everything that makes a map, maybe it's not finished?

Cunning Cartographer
05-04-2013, 09:50 AM
Diamond got my vote, some really great entries, but when I looked at the detail as a comparison I feel Diamond's just kept the quality. Good job to all though.

Vyxxen
05-06-2013, 10:01 AM
Nice work from everybody. Just wish I had the time to spare on actually taking part instead of just voting... :P

vorropohaiah
05-06-2013, 12:31 PM
45 voters. that's got to be a recent record, i think.

Robbie
05-06-2013, 12:34 PM
Congrats to Schwarzkreuz! Very nice run this month! We'll hopefully have the May challenge up soon.

Schwarzkreuz
05-06-2013, 12:58 PM
Thanks you very much! It was an extemely close run for the #1 place, and i feel very honored.
I will join the Next Challenge and hopefully finish it too.

Diamond
05-06-2013, 02:33 PM
Wow, that was CLOSE! Three votes separating the top three...

Congrats, SK, well-deserved (except for the sausage-strings :D ).

Schwarzkreuz
05-06-2013, 02:39 PM
Please dont start making Jokes about German Wurst, too :D

En-Trap
05-06-2013, 02:59 PM
Congratz to you Schwarzkreuz!

- Max -
05-06-2013, 03:02 PM
Congratz SK, nice win! Close vote so some well deserved congratz to Diamond and Larb too ;)

Meshon
05-06-2013, 05:44 PM
Congrats to the winner(s).

Especially BIG congrats to everyone who started and actually finished a map! What an accomplishment! That poll up there is full of winners if you ask me ;)

cheers,
Meshon

nolgroth
05-06-2013, 07:16 PM
Congrats Schwarzkreuz. Close run there for a bit.

ravells
05-06-2013, 07:34 PM
Great competition all, and congrats to Schwarzkreuz!!!

Chashio
05-06-2013, 08:00 PM
hahaha :P What's that? Oh, look, I can see my comment floating over my head in the distant future.

Congrats, SK. It really is a nice map.

Sapiento
05-08-2013, 06:20 AM
Congrats to Schwarzkreuz!

Depassage
05-08-2013, 07:58 AM
Congrats Joseph!

And congrats all participants for these excellent challenge entries!