PDA

View Full Version : Amelia's Grove WIP

AMXPariah
05-03-2013, 12:01 AM

Working on a city for a campaign. It's current population is 23,450 and is approximately 167.5 acres. The picture posted is a rough draft. Critiques and advice appreciated :)

feanaaro
05-04-2013, 10:36 AM
Nice layout.
However, when I see "Amelia's Grove", I actually read "Amelia's Groove", and think of something like this (http://www.topolino.it/sites/www.topolino.it/files/imagecache/blog_content/avatars/picture-77.jpg).

vorropohaiah
05-04-2013, 10:49 AM
coming along nicely. i like the small 'offshoots' of the river on the left - canals?

- Max -
05-04-2013, 11:47 AM
Looking good so far. Looking forward to more progress on it.

AMXPariah
05-04-2013, 06:08 PM
coming along nicely. i like the small 'offshoots' of the river on the left - canals?

More or less. I've seen other people do this in their maps and I thought it was a nice touch. My biggest question now is "satellite" or "old-school map?" I appreciate the feedback, y'all :)

- Max -
05-04-2013, 06:12 PM
Old school :)

AMXPariah
05-04-2013, 06:22 PM
Quite a challenge. I'll have to acquire some references <.<

AMXPariah
05-05-2013, 08:26 PM
54261 54262

So, I decided to go full hand-drawn and, to do so, figured that an enlargement was appropriate... This may take me a minute. Sorry for the crappy cellphone pics; my scanner is too small :(

Chashio
05-05-2013, 08:37 PM
The hand-drawn re-scaling is very impressive, Pariah. I would likely have scanned the small version, blown it up in photoshop, and printed the larger map in sections (if it's too big to fit on printer paper) and taped them together on the back side, then traced it all onto my chosen paper with a light box. ;) In fact, I did such a thing with a large Island map I've been picking away at since January. I give you kudos (and reps) for doing it the properly old fashioned way!

AMXPariah
05-05-2013, 08:41 PM
Many thanks, Chashio. Incidentally, 1/4 of the reason I did it this way is because my printer is also out of ink at the moment -_- The other 3/4's is because I never thought to do it that way O.o

AMXPariah
05-06-2013, 01:29 AM

Another update. Got the 'old market' district filled in and started on the dock area. I made the big bridge go over the docks instead of connecting straight to them; I thought this may add a little depth once the whole map was finished. Also, I need a little advice on the cliffs/rocky area near the bottom of the map. I'm not sure if the landforms there are discernible as cliffs... Also... (http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/37566197.jpg)

feanaaro
05-06-2013, 09:28 AM
The wharfs in the dock area seems too long, they appear to almost block the waterway.

AMXPariah
05-06-2013, 09:44 AM
Y'know, I was wondering about that. According to the scale, there should be 55-60ft of room between the docks and the river coast. Would that be enough for ships travelling up and down a river? If not, I can just push them back.

AMXPariah
05-08-2013, 12:45 AM

Update. Penciled in the castle and a little of the town below it. I think I got a little carried away last time with the other area, so I'm going to wait for the fine details on the new stuff. For the castle, I was inspired by Carcassonne (http://europeanhistory.boisestate.edu/images/cities/carcassonne2.jpg) in France.

feanaaro
05-08-2013, 09:50 AM
Yes, I would definitely push back the wharfs. Besides the width needed for the ships, also aesthetically is better if they don't overwhelm the channel

AMXPariah
05-11-2013, 02:14 AM

More updates. Most blocks on the south side of the city have been mapped and I started to work on the admin/upper class area. Still need the docks and north side. After all that... INK.

AMXPariah
05-12-2013, 01:52 AM

The city blocks are done! Now, I just need some new technical pens and I'll be on my way to the finished product.

AMXPariah
05-19-2013, 02:42 AM

I started inking the city and I added some terrain features to the surrounding area. The river coast and natural terrain was done by a brush pen. The rest is being done with a combination of .25, .35, and .45 mm pens.

arsheesh
05-23-2013, 05:17 PM
Ooh, very detailed! Are you planning to color this?

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

AMXPariah
05-23-2013, 10:36 PM
Thank you! I would love to color it, but I lack the skill however. I may give it a go with grey prismacolors at some point.

AMXPariah
05-26-2013, 11:58 PM

Okie doke. I feel like this is the last update I'll have before I post the full map. I just need to find a scanner big enough for it O.o Anyways, I wanted to show case the palace and its gardens. I used stippling on the gardens in front of, and flanking, the palace to create an 'art-garden' like in Versailles because why not? Besides the palace and gardens, you have the homes of the palace staff and sub-super rich; the richest of citizens just below the royalty live in the single houses you see just to the north of the palace. Also, sorry for the crappy cellphone pic :/

- Max -
05-27-2013, 03:09 AM
You're not going to add some colors on it? :(

AMXPariah
05-27-2013, 10:44 AM
I could try digitally. I'm afraid of ruining it.

Korash
05-27-2013, 12:28 PM
Well, The beauty of doing the coloring digitally is that it does not damage the original art. :)

With the detail that you have put in this map, I don't think you should sell short your ability to color by hand either. I strongly suggest that you practice coloring for a bit on smaller test maps in order to get comfortable with your style. And THEN come back and try coloring a COPY of this map, just to see what it would look like. If you like that, then do it for real. One thing though, I have found out the hard way (many moons ago), that it is VERY EASY to over do the coloring and that WILL ruin a good map. which is why I said to practice first on a copy before hitting the real one...

I have no doubt that you will be able to pick it up if you have the patence for it (and by the details of this map I believe you do) and having that skill in your pocket will only improve your mapping. Manual or Digital.

Nicely done:)