PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for a game map project

Haematinon
05-03-2013, 06:52 AM
My fellow cartographers, i've been lurking this wonderful community for some months (i am shy :)), but now i really need your help! I am working on a top-view city map, the setting is something like "alternative-cold-war future" with a touch of steam/dieselpunk style (something like this: File:1847 Lower Manhattan map.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:1847_Lower_Manhattan_map.jpg)), the problem is how to draw the building and the district of the city. Any good advice? Tips?
My thanks for your precious help!

Chashio
05-03-2013, 10:23 AM
Do you mean 'how' as in technique or style?

Korash
05-03-2013, 01:40 PM
I think as a start, I would use a vector drawing prog like Inkscape or Illustrator to get the linework done. All those straight lines just beg for it I think. If you are asking about the style, I think the subdued colours are what gives it the feel that it does. I would just pick the colours directly from this map and use them as your pallet. For the woodcut water markings, I would just see if the vector prog could select the land and stroke larger grown selections of it using thinner lines as you go out. .

Haematinon
05-04-2013, 04:34 AM
Do you mean 'how' as in technique or style?

technique :)

I think as a start, I would use a vector drawing prog like Inkscape or Illustrator to get the linework done. All those straight lines just beg for it I think. If you are asking about the style, I think the subdued colours are what gives it the feel that it does. I would just pick the colours directly from this map and use them as your pallet. For the woodcut water markings, I would just see if the vector prog could select the land and stroke larger grown selections of it using thinner lines as you go out. .

Yes, inkscape could work! One of my biggest problem however is how to mark the dfference between streets and "Open field", and how to handle the transition "city-countryside"

Chashio
05-04-2013, 09:49 AM
One of my biggest problem however is how to mark the dfference between streets and "Open field", and how to handle the transition "city-countryside"

Maybe change the style of the line or use a different pattern on it?

Korash
05-10-2013, 12:53 PM
or base color for the open fields as opposed to built up blocks