PDA

View Full Version : Change the outlines on my hand drawn mountains in GIMP the easiest way?

ptrben
05-04-2013, 12:22 PM
Well a beginner sometimes run in to problems...

Outlines on my hand drawn mountains are not the same, is there a simple way to fix this in GIMP?

And how do I change the brush size without screwing it up to much..

- Max -
05-04-2013, 01:38 PM
If you're using brushes, scaling them with always affect the look they have ( mostly blurry them) so you have to draw a set with all the several sizes you want for them on your map adn don't scale them. By the way, when looking close up to those mountains, the noise effect you used doesn't look that good and kind of kill the outlining. If you can have access to a scanner, I would suggest to draw them by hand, scan them, import them in GIMP in turn them into brushes. If you don't, try to draw simple outlines without too much effects on them in GIMP ( possibly using some thin light grunge roud brushes. Shwarzkreuz did post some of his own in his DeRust taining maps WIP, maybe it will help you). Hope it helps.

ptrben
05-04-2013, 01:53 PM
Well, I drew them by hand and scanned them. Opened up gimp used the lasso tool and then made them into brushes. Maybe it is my low budget pencils that creates the problem?

- Max -
05-04-2013, 02:10 PM
Hmm it has a lot of noise so that's weird...

ptrben
05-04-2013, 03:18 PM
Did cover up some of the areas with the pen tool. Does it look better?

The left one is the new one. The right one the old brush.

- Max -
05-04-2013, 03:19 PM
A bit but it's very sharp and still has noise on other parts :/

ptrben
05-04-2013, 03:21 PM
A bit but it's very sharp and still has noise on other parts :/

Yeah I know of the other parts, will fill them later, but will it get to sharp then?

- Max -
05-04-2013, 03:24 PM
Let's see how it goes once you scale them at brushes size ;)

aquarits
05-04-2013, 03:35 PM
probly you are using a photocopy as scanner what make a big diference. I had this problem with my scans too, trying to stel some machines in my job :) when i use the properly scan i get it right, when use the photocopy to get it, i have the same of your result.
I guess that you can changes the configuration of your scanner (if it is a photocopy like i do) i change the resolution and create a TIFF file, sometimes it clean all my image copied.

Chashio
05-04-2013, 04:24 PM
Pencil has a tendency to do that when scanned because the graphite sits on top of the paper and doesn't fill in the grain the way pen does, and the scanner heightens the difference. It can help if you set your scanner to greyscale, 600 resolution, and turn the brightness down. Then in GIMP you can adjust the levels or curves (values/lighting/whatever it's called in GIMP) to get a higher quality outcome and then when you're happy with the lighting, re-size the image to 50% (resolution 300, which is a standard print resolution). Doing all that should make the grain appear less pronounced, if it doesn't nix it altogether (depends on your editing).

I did this in Photoshop by doing a fuzzy color selection to grab the white, inverting the selection, creating a new layer and giving it a mask with the selection, filling the layer with black and adjusting the mask boundary and contrast until it looked mostly filled in (more like what a pen would do). I don't know how you'd do it in Gimp.

ptrben
05-04-2013, 04:44 PM
Pencil has a tendency to do that when scanned because the graphite sits on top of the paper and doesn't fill in the grain the way pen does, and the scanner heightens the difference. It can help if you set your scanner to greyscale, 600 resolution, and turn the brightness down. Then in GIMP you can adjust the levels or curves (values/lighting/whatever it's called in GIMP) to get a higher quality outcome and then when you're happy with the lighting, re-size the image to 50% (resolution 300, which is a standard print resolution). Doing all that should make the grain appear less pronounced, if it doesn't nix it altogether (depends on your editing).

I did this in Photoshop by doing a fuzzy color selection to grab the white, inverting the selection, creating a new layer and giving it a mask with the selection, filling the layer with black and adjusting the mask boundary and contrast until it looked mostly filled in (more like what a pen would do). I don't know how you'd do it in Gimp.

Wow, this will help me tremendously, thanks, +rep.

Just got to figure it out in GIMP now :)

Chashio
05-04-2013, 04:50 PM
You're welcome.

If I recall correctly, GIMP does have a color range select thingy somewhere in the menus or tools, and I'm 50% sure it has masks... but I'm not sure how easy they are to adjust. You might download a copy of Photoshop CS2 if it's just too much for GIMP to handle. ;)

RobA
05-04-2013, 07:15 PM
You're welcome.

If I recall correctly, GIMP does have a color range select thingy somewhere in the menus or tools, and I'm 50% sure it has masks... but I'm not sure how easy they are to adjust. You might download a copy of Photoshop CS2 if it's just too much for GIMP to handle. ;)

You would do it exactly the same way in Gimp.

Also, please do not encourage folks here to illegally obtain software.

Thanks,

-RobA>

Chashio
05-04-2013, 07:29 PM
My apologies. I thought it had been released as freeware.

Ah, no I see... an older post in the software discussions forum had caught the corner of my eye, but the widely spread rumor on the net appears to have been a misinterpretation of phrase.

ptrben
05-04-2013, 09:06 PM
I am getting crazy over here.

At step 3: Creating a new layer and giving it a mask with the selection, should I at [add layer mask] take the alternative "selection"? or "Black full transparency"?

This is a grey scale scan at 300 dpi

RobA
05-04-2013, 11:26 PM
My apologies. I thought it had been released as freeware.

Ah, no I see... an older post in the software discussions forum had caught the corner of my eye, but the widely spread rumor on the net appears to have been a misinterpretation of phrase.

No problem. I just ran across a debate on this specific issue a few days ago, so can appreciate the confusion. Just wanted to keep things on the up and up.

-RobA>

RobA
05-04-2013, 11:32 PM
I am getting crazy over here.

At step 3: Creating a new layer and giving it a mask with the selection, should I at [add layer mask] take the alternative "selection"? or "Black full transparency"?

This is a grey scale scan at 300 dpi

After fuzzy selecting the white, create a new black layer, and add a layer mask, picking the selection option and checking the invert.

Then select none.

You can apply a slight blur and play with the levels of the layer mask to soften or clean up the results.

-RobA>

ptrben
05-05-2013, 12:13 AM
Well thank you everyone for your help: but I have seen my limits and will have to start from the beginning at http://www.cartographersguild.com/tutorials-how/4276-quickstart-guide-fantasy-mapping.html to get a better education in this subject.