PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Virginia

Skycast
06-23-2008, 05:48 PM
Well, dusted off CC3 and decided to get back to some mapping; this time the Republic of Virginia for my Savaged! New World campaign.

Notations of what I've done so far:

1) I'm very happy with the way the ocean and its various fills has turned out.
2) I'm pretty happy with the forest and settlement symbols...sort of a water color type look.
3) I need to work on the background texture for the land. I need to find something that complements the water color feel of the current symbols.
4) Something, not sure what, seems to be lacking with the rivers.

The next steps for this map are as follows:

1) Label the current settlements, need to pick a good font for this.
2) My toughest quest...find mountain symbols that suit the map and combine well with the land color. I'm willing to tweak the land color if needed.
3) Label various regions, oceans, mountains, etc.

I look forward to all comments, suggestions, critiques, etc.

SeerBlue
06-23-2008, 05:56 PM
perhaps the rivers need the width to vary, start with them narrower and have them get wider as they flow and collect more water,,,some type of bank to them would be nice too. SeerBlue

NeonKnight
06-23-2008, 10:49 PM
Looks good so far.

A glow on the Rivers would be nice, as well as a slight blur effect on the water sheet to eliminate the Harsh fill style there.

Skycast
06-25-2008, 11:51 PM
Well, did some tweaking and took some of the comments into consideration; I also think I've settled on a mountain style...typically my biggest stumbling block. More comments and suggestions if you please...more work to come.

Ascension
06-25-2008, 11:55 PM
I like those mountains a lot. I've been pondering ISO mountains but have never seen anything I really like until now. Good job.

A. Smith
06-26-2008, 12:28 AM
I'm sorry to say I don't think those mountains fit very well with the rest of the map... it feels somewhat out of place.

jfrazierjr
06-26-2008, 12:33 AM
I'm sorry to say I don't think those mountains fit very well with the rest of the map... it feels somewhat out of place.

I have to say I agree. For one, they blend in a lot with the land color so if I had not seen something to suggest what they were in previous posts, I would not know they are mountains. Second, see my sig for my opinion on another topic concerning ISO mountains...

Joe

Skycast
06-26-2008, 06:15 PM
Mountains are always the primary thing I struggle with when creating maps...so much so that I often abandon a map because of it. I'm using CC3 and would be open to any suggest on a mountain style that's better suited to the map I'm creating. I'm using stuff from here and there to create my own look and feel so I'm pretty much a blank canvas.

Skycast
06-27-2008, 05:39 PM
Here's todays latest incarnation...lightened up the background a bit and used the "outline" on the symbols to sharpen them a bit. Still need to tweak the background color I think, but it's closer. Next step will be to add in the roads, text and finish off the vegetation.

Ascension
06-27-2008, 05:45 PM
I like those mountains even more, fit much better with the trees. Dig the lil towns as well, I never have the patience to do up some of my own.

jfrazierjr
06-27-2008, 06:02 PM
Here's todays latest incarnation...lightened up the background a bit and used the "outline" on the symbols to sharpen them a bit. Still need to tweak the background color I think, but it's closer. Next step will be to add in the roads, text and finish off the vegetation.

Hmmm.... I see tree trunks....all is right with the world(at least until Torstan and his buddies blow it up in August:D)

Yep, these mountains look much better. The others probably would have looked ok with a different background color, but they ended up blending in to much and just looked like a blob of brown and white to me. Anyway, these are much better and they also more texture to boot. One thing you might want to consider is using a post processing tool to create the rivers. If you were to follow RobA's Inkscape tutorial, you could get rivers that taper in size from start to end and finish up in GIMP. Likewise, ravells also has a tutorial, but I "THINK" it's for Photoshop.

I really like the whole lines on the ocean thing. Very cool

Joe

Joe

A. Smith
06-27-2008, 10:46 PM
Agreed, those mountains are great for that kind of map. Good job.

I think the rivers are fine, myself, although they might deserve to stand out a little more. Perhaps use a lighter blue then the ocean?

Skycast
06-30-2008, 05:54 PM
Still some work and tweaking to do, but here's version number 5 as of today. Some thoughts on things I want to do:

1) Soften up the roads so they aren't so prominent.
2) Need to add/finish up the forest areas.
3) Add scale, compass, etc.
4) Here's the biggie, I want to add some subtle "green" areas to represent valleys in the open areas between the mountain symbols that "fade into" some brown background surrounding around the mountains...this may take some work to get right.

That's all I can think of right now.

jfrazierjr
06-30-2008, 06:19 PM
Still some work and tweaking to do, but here's version number 5 as of today. Some thoughts on things I want to do:

1) Soften up the roads so they aren't so prominent.
2) Need to add/finish up the forest areas.
3) Add scale, compass, etc.
4) Here's the biggie, I want to add some subtle "green" areas to represent valleys in the open areas between the mountain symbols that "fade into" some brown background surrounding around the mountains...this may take some work to get right.

That's all I can think of right now.

Is this done in CC3? I can't say that I know CC3 that well, but I would think it would be harder to do 4 without switching over to GIMP or Photoshop or something like that. Of course, NeonKnight will come along and tell me I am wrong....

Anyway, looks pretty good. I rather like the roads as they are.
Joe

Skycast
06-30-2008, 06:44 PM
Is this done in CC3? I can't say that I know CC3 that well, but I would think it would be harder to do 4 without switching over to GIMP or Photoshop or something like that. Of course, NeonKnight will come along and tell me I am wrong....

Anyway, looks pretty good. I rather like the roads as they are.
Joe

Thanks Joe...yes, this is all done in CC3 and I'm already toying with ways to do #4 that look good. Yes, it can be done; I want to do all the work in CC3.

Skycast
06-30-2008, 07:48 PM
Bad habit...reply to my reply...updated version.

Skycast
07-01-2008, 08:14 PM
Well, except for some minor tinkering (which I'll undoubtedly do), I think this puppy is done.

torstan
07-01-2008, 08:47 PM
That's looking really good. Now I'm not a CC3 boy so I don't know whether this is possible, but I'd sharpen the border and the coast. Currently their blurred edges clash with the precise line art of the mountains and the hills.

Otherwise, very pretty. Good work!