PDA

View Full Version : *** May Challenge - Hexcrawl ***

arsheesh
05-06-2013, 07:36 PM
THE CHALLENGE

Hi guys and gals, this month's challenge is to create a regional hex map suitable for a hexcrawl style campaign. The hexcrawl mechanic was a mainstay of fantasy role playing games during the early days of the hobby but largely fell out of use by most gamers somewhere in the 90s. One of the many fruitful projects of the OSR movement has been to resurrect and breathe new life into this venerable form of game play. That said, by the admission of many within the OSR community, the typical hex map is somewhat lackluster. These maps tend to be functional rather than artistic, and while some enjoy this Spartan aesthetic the goal of this challenge is to create a more artistic hex map which ideally preserves the functionality of the hexcrawl mechanics. To that end, each entry must contain each of the following:

1) A numbering system for each of the hexes;
2) Symbols or drawings of "known" cities, towers, keeps, monster lairs, dungeons or other places of interest;*
3) A Map key (which should include a scale indicating the size of each hex);

* These should each fit within a single hex.

Other optional things which you may but need not add include: an Encounter Table, a Hex Key offering a title and/or short description of the contents of some or all of the hexes. Depending on how much interest there is, this month's challenge could lead into a followup challenge in June based on the winning entry.

Title each new thread May 2013 Entry - <your title>

Precede each WIP image with the tag ### Latest WIP ###.

The challenge will end on or around the 31st of May, and the winner will receive a golden compass, and the envy of your peers.

RESOURCES

If you are unfamiliar with the hexcrawl trope, Justin Alexander has a wonderful 10-part series of blog posts on the topic here (http://thealexandrian.net/wordpress/17308/roleplaying-games/hexcrawl). Looking for a way to create a hex-grid? There is a discussion at the Guild on that here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/board-game-mapping/21968-hexmaps.html).

vorropohaiah
05-07-2013, 12:11 AM
Cool. Guess we could also design a fake board game map with this.

Korash
05-07-2013, 12:20 AM
arsheesh, I just did a slight edit as this is not a Lite challenge.

I might even have time this month....

arsheesh
05-07-2013, 12:31 AM
arsheesh, I just did a slight edit as this is not a Lite challenge.

I might even have time this month....

Oops, thanks for the assist Korash.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Schwarzkreuz
05-07-2013, 03:59 AM
Oh i like Games like Settlers of Catan and Twilight Imperium. They use hexfields to randomise a Map each game.

Chashio
05-07-2013, 08:57 AM
That's an excellent blog resource for those of us who don't know the design elements and layout of gaming maps. I was just wishing for such a resource the other day, but I don't know the terminology well enough to do a proper search. Thanks Arsheesh!

And I am so tempted to join in this month, but I have to finish a few other projects first :(

Chashio
05-07-2013, 09:00 AM
Cool. Guess we could also design a fake board game map with this.

Why stop at fake?

vorropohaiah
05-07-2013, 09:03 AM
well i say fake as in unlikely to be used on a real published game

Carbus
05-07-2013, 10:26 AM
Last year I started a game project called Teramorphers. The idea is a game that combines Civilization, Magic and other strategy game, all in a hexagonal board. I had some good ideas, but got lazy and quickly demotivated since I had no one to discuss or develop the game. Whit this thread I saw an opportunity to revive the project! The problem is, there would be pre-generated maps, but the main idea relies on 2 players Morphing the terrain so that it works with the player strategy. My idea for the contest is to simulate a game between two players, and how they could change the terrain, create buildings and manage troops. And the final map having a little more polish than the other ones, but the entire process would matter more than the final map.
So the question is, could this project fit in this particular Challenge?
Thank you guys!

Schwarzkreuz
05-07-2013, 12:24 PM
Seems lot of us like it to go the Boardgame direction, which is not the same As a hexcrawl map.
Also with movable tiles of Hex in a boardgame there would be no consistent map, but his idea to create a " active running Game Session" could Be a Solution.
How would this be possible?

vorropohaiah
05-07-2013, 12:38 PM
i think youre confusing settlers of catan with a generic hex-based boardgame. many WWII boardgames have a set map 'ie pacific theatre' or 'mediterranean' with overlaid hexes, which are used to facilitate movement etc.

EG: http://wwii.sepic.org/images/worldmap.png

arsheesh
05-07-2013, 05:31 PM
Last year I started a game project called Teramorphers. The idea is a game that combines Civilization, Magic and other strategy game, all in a hexagonal board. I had some good ideas, but got lazy and quickly demotivated since I had no one to discuss or develop the game. Whit this thread I saw an opportunity to revive the project! The problem is, there would be pre-generated maps, but the main idea relies on 2 players Morphing the terrain so that it works with the player strategy. My idea for the contest is to simulate a game between two players, and how they could change the terrain, create buildings and manage troops. And the final map having a little more polish than the other ones, but the entire process would matter more than the final map.
So the question is, could this project fit in this particular Challenge?
Thank you guys!

Well this sounds like a very cool idea, but I don't think it is a good fit for this month's challenge. It would be a better fit for monthly challenge that involved creating a board game. A "hexcrawl" refers to a specific rpg gaming trope which is similar in many ways to a "dungeoncrawl". Both involve the creation of a map with bounded points of interest that are keyed in advance for players to explore (with additional content being added via random encounter or wandering monster tables and via re-stocking of the dungeon / hex map).

Seems lot of us like it to go the Boardgame direction, which is not the same As a hexcrawl map.
Also with movable tiles of Hex in a boardgame there would be no consistent map, but his idea to create a " active running Game Session" could Be a Solution.
How would this be possible?

You're right Schwarzkreuz, the two are not the same. In the past we have had a challenge or two based around coming up with a board game, and this could be a good challenge to bring back at some point in the future since it does seem like there is some interest in it. But the current challenge is to create a hex-map specifically with the hexcrawl mechanic in mind. Traditionally these have been single-unified maps with points of interest keyed in advance. However you could design a more modular tile based hex system for the hexcrawl, provided that your entry contained some way of generating points of interest (such as cities, towns, towers, keeps, monsters, lairs, dungeons etc) for the hex tiles, and that you created some form of key indicating what the symbols or pictures you used to represent these points of interest stood for.

Carbus
05-07-2013, 05:36 PM
Well this sounds like a very cool idea, but I don't think it is a good fit for this month's challenge. It would be a better fit for monthly challenge that involved creating a board game. A "hexcrawl" refers to a specific rpg gaming trope which is similar in many ways to a "dungeoncrawl". Both involve the creation of a map with bounded points of interest that are keyed in advance for players to explore (with additional content being added via random encounter or wandering monster tables and via re-stocking of the dungeon / hex map).

Thanks you Arsheesh! I was a little bit confused, but now you clarified everything! I had a boardgame in my mind, but it's a hole different story ( I guess my project will be delayed again xD). I stil don't know specifically what to do, maybe I'll wait other entries to see what it really is about!
Good luck to everyone.

Schwarzkreuz
05-07-2013, 06:12 PM
Yes this is indeed a very specific challenge

arsheesh
05-29-2013, 05:25 PM
Hi everybody, just a friendly reminder that there are two days left to wrap up work on this month's challenge.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Diamond
05-29-2013, 05:53 PM
...Yeah, I'm not gonna get her done, I think.

eViLe_eAgLe
05-29-2013, 07:48 PM
Shame I can't use the commission i'm doing currently, it would be perfect.

arsheesh
05-31-2013, 08:50 PM
Just an update, I will be gone for the rest of the day so I won't have time to set up the voting for this challenge till tomorrow afternoon. Which means that anyone still working on a map has a little more time to complete it before the challenge is officially closed. I'll give everyone an hour's notice before I close the challenge and set up voting.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Diamond
05-31-2013, 09:44 PM
You... you... :D You mean I could've got some sleep last night?!? :D

vorropohaiah
06-01-2013, 01:14 AM
i think its become default that the challenges last at least until the first of the month now, if not the second :p

Diamond
06-01-2013, 04:17 AM
Yeah, but the one time I rely on that is the one time it won't happen. :)

Schwarzkreuz
06-01-2013, 05:07 AM
Just an update, I will be gone for the rest of the day so I won't have time to set up the voting for this challenge till tomorrow afternoon. Which means that anyone still working on a map has a little more time to complete it before the challenge is officially closed. I'll give everyone an hour's notice before I close the challenge and set up voting.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

OMG, a reliable closing of the contest? How shocking :P

arsheesh
06-02-2013, 02:01 AM
OK guys, got home latter than expected, but I'll be closing her down in about another hour so if you have any last minute work to do, now's the time to finish it.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh