PDA

View Full Version : Skandinavia in 1368

thamupp
05-08-2013, 08:30 AM

Here's something I've been working a little bit on for the past few weeks. It's a map of Scandinavia in 1368, before the creation of the Kalmar union, where the danish monarch took control of all three Scandinavian Kingdoms.

The text is in Swedish and the geography of the map is based on a map from 1794.

Currently I'm working on adding towns and cities.

I do hope 'real world mapping' is allowed on this board, if not, I do apologize for posting it here.

Lingon
05-08-2013, 09:51 AM
Real world mapping is definitely allowed, and that one is looking awesome! Swedish is really the best language for map labels; few things sound as cool as "Tysk-Romerska Riket" ;)

Do you plan to add anything in the wide border? It looks a little empty now, I think.

thamupp
05-08-2013, 10:00 AM
Do you plan to add anything in the wide border? It looks a little empty now, I think.

I haven't really, no. But I'd love a suggestion if you have any good ideas. The to-do list right now goes something like this:
-Add rivers and more lakes
-Add more text
-Add even more text

I really thinks getting the map filled with text will make it look really cool.

Getting mountains on is of course also something I'd love to do. But I just don't feel I have the skills to make it look good.

vorropohaiah
05-08-2013, 10:41 AM
that's gorgeous. love the texture used on the paper (is it your own creation or something you downloaded?)

hope you get to add a nice action-packed cartouche to this. not sure what i mean by action-packed, but I do love a full cartouche :)

EDIT: a quick note about the mountains. this type of political map rarely has very artsy mountains. If even depicted at all it's usually along the line of the marching caterpillars, as some people around here refer to them :) and that's perfectly acceptable on this sort of map, which is certainly designed to look more like a real-world utilitarian map, rather than a lot of the more arty types we see on here. also, the large empty margin is fine. you'll see loads of similar-styled real-world maps with large empty margins like that.

thamupp
05-08-2013, 10:54 AM
that's gorgeous. love the texture used on the paper (is it your own creation or something you downloaded?)

I used two different free paper textures I found online to achieve the current look.

And about the mountains. Yeah, that's what I've been thinking as well. I'll leave them completely out, at least for now.

The trickiest part so far is figuring about what cities to add. I want to keep the map as historically accurate as possible and it's really quite time consuming to figure out what cities were around and which weren't. Not sure what I'll do when I get to the Danish and Norwegian cities, since I don't have that much knowledge (or google search abilities) about those regions.

thamupp
05-09-2013, 03:18 PM
hope you get to add a nice action-packed cartouche to this. not sure what i mean by action-packed, but I do love a full cartouche :)

Having this in mind I've made an attempt at redesigning the cartouche and I think it turned out okay. I'm a bit concerned that perhaps the style of the map is a bit inconsistent now. Maybe it's a bit too much.

Oh, and don't worry, I'll see if I can figure something out to replace the current border as well.

vorropohaiah
05-09-2013, 03:58 PM
the new one seems more consistent with the style of map, though the earlier one is fine too. will you be adding in another cartouche with key, scale,and other details?

thamupp
05-09-2013, 04:03 PM
the new one seems more consistent with the style of map, though the earlier one is fine too. will you be adding in another cartouche with key, scale,and other details?

Yes, at the bottom right.

thamupp
05-09-2013, 07:11 PM
New border and scales added.

Lingon
05-10-2013, 11:21 AM
That looks great! The different measurement units is a really nice touch! I actually didn't have any ideas for the area outside of the border, personally I think I'd have cropped it a little, but that's a boring suggestion… Honestly, it doesn't really matter if you do anything with it, the map is fantastic either way :) I kinda miss some dots or something for the cities though!

thamupp
05-10-2013, 12:25 PM
That looks great! The different measurement units is a really nice touch! I actually didn't have any ideas for the area outside of the border, personally I think I'd have cropped it a little, but that's a boring suggestion… Honestly, it doesn't really matter if you do anything with it, the map is fantastic either way :) I kinda miss some dots or something for the cities though!

Thank you!

Well, I have actually decided to make use of all the empty space, here's some testing I've been doing so far. And the reason you don't see any city dots is because I haven't made any yet. The Idea is to add one for capitals, one for big cities, one for small cities and one for forts/castles.

- Max -
05-10-2013, 07:08 PM
Great job! The two little gothic titles on the top of shields aren't really legible though.

Jacktannery
05-10-2013, 07:44 PM
Wonderful map - good job thamupp.

ravells
05-10-2013, 08:04 PM
Absolutely stunning! I wonder if might be worth knocking back the pure black of the border by just a tiny bit.

Schwarzkreuz
05-10-2013, 08:21 PM
Realy nice typography here, looks realy authentic

thamupp
05-11-2013, 10:48 AM
Thank you everyone.

Here's latest WIP, not any big changes: Made border opacity slightly lower (bit to much maybe), added norways shields (can't find any good shields for Denmark :?), added some more text, experimented with some icons.

5446854467(cityies)

Lingon
05-11-2013, 10:58 AM
Gorgeous! Much better idea than my dull cropping!

For the Danish heraldry, have you tried Danish history books (with Danish in double meaning there; written by a Dane, on the topic of their history)? I assume you are doing most of your research in Swedish, and I guess it'd be easier to find stuff on Denmark in books published there.

thamupp
05-11-2013, 11:31 AM
Gorgeous! Much better idea than my dull cropping!

For the Danish heraldry, have you tried Danish history books (with Danish in double meaning there; written by a Dane, on the topic of their history)? I assume you are doing most of your research in Swedish, and I guess it'd be easier to find stuff on Denmark in books published there.

Well, I have tried googling in Danish, English and Swedish. My next stop: Crusader Kings 2 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crusader_Kings_II).

Schwarzkreuz
05-11-2013, 01:11 PM
I like your symbols but villages just seem to be croped and looked blury, maybe you should redraw it with the proper linesize. I would never resize symbols or you end up with different linesizes, which would spoil your beoutifull map.

thamupp
05-11-2013, 01:30 PM
I like your symbols but villages just seem to be croped and looked blury, maybe you should redraw it with the proper linesize. I would never resize symbols or you end up with different linesizes, which would spoil your beoutifull map.

Good point, but I think I'll just scrap villages all together. It's just too much work figuring out what places would be classified as towns / villages.

Schwarzkreuz
05-11-2013, 01:40 PM
So they all get a kind of City/settlement symbol?

- Max -
05-11-2013, 02:15 PM
yep I guess placing capitals and main cities/towns will be ok on this kind of map.

thamupp
05-11-2013, 08:57 PM
So they all get a kind of City/settlement symbol?

yep I guess placing capitals and main cities/towns will be ok on this kind of map.

I want to keep the map at least somewhat historically accurate (adding heraldry hasn't helped with that) and just figuring out if a town existed is time consuming enough, figuring out it's size would just not be possible for me.

Anyways, here's just something I'm throwing out there before heading to bed. What do you think of colorless ocean with more distinguished land borders? It would have to be done more properly of course. I'm already thinking of experimenting with something like adding 'waves' on the coast.

vorropohaiah
05-12-2013, 01:49 AM
i dont think there's any need for wavelines on this type of map. though you can always try them out and see what you like.

the map's looking lovely, though theres one thing im having trouble with - the font on the two cartouches - its too calligraphic, why not just use the same font to the map itself? or at least something similar

Jacktannery
05-12-2013, 06:10 AM
Anyways, here's just something I'm throwing out there before heading to bed. What do you think of colorless ocean with more distinguished land borders? It would have to be done more properly of course.

I prefer the look of the map with colourless ocean - it looks more classy for some reason.

thamupp
05-12-2013, 06:26 AM
the map's looking lovely, though theres one thing im having trouble with - the font on the two cartouches - its too calligraphic, why not just use the same font to the map itself? or at least something similar

Hmm, well, actually this was exactly the thing that I was talking about a bit earlier in the thread, but since noone else has mentioned it it though maybe it was just me imagining things. But I'm a bit confused, do you mean that I should change the country-name font or the cartouche font?

- Max -
05-12-2013, 06:38 AM
I guess that would mean changing the cartouches font, which probably make it more consistent.

thamupp
05-12-2013, 06:45 AM
I prefer the look of the map with colourless ocean - it looks more classy for some reason.

I'm looking into it now.

I guess that would mean changing the cartouches font, which probably make it more consistent.

Hmm, yes. But I don't know if I can make it "fancy" like it is now with a more plain font.

And on a completely unrelated note, is this the worlds coolest looking coast?

vorropohaiah
05-12-2013, 06:54 AM
yeah, i think changing the cartouche label font would be best, and regarding the title, i'm sure you can find something here: Gothic > Medieval fonts | dafont.com (http://www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=401)

Schwarzkreuz
05-12-2013, 07:19 AM
I completely disagree with the other two, there are plenty of Maps (18-20. Century) that uses Special fonts for the cartuches and the title. Unifying the fonts are Not always resulting in a more legit map. It depends in which century he wants the map to simulate it was done. For a 14. Century origin its too clean anyway, Looks more like a 19. C historical map.

Lingon
05-12-2013, 07:20 AM
I also like the colorless ocean, but I think the map became a bit contrastless at the same time, just my opinion of course but I think I'd have darkened the coastlines a tad. About the fonts I definitively prefer the original, the new looks to modern to me. Perhaps something in between the two could be found?

And yeah, Norway has some great looking coast. We never should have given them up.

thamupp
05-12-2013, 07:03 PM
Even though I do see where you're coming from with the inconsistent fonts, I can't help myself. I've fallen in love with the current style of the cartouche and it will stay in it's current form, at least for now.

I decided to add some small woodcuts at the coast (and don't even think they show up in this .jpg compression) and removed the color from the ocean. I think it looks pretty good for now, but I really want to see what it looks like when I start adding island names on the coast.

Schwarzkreuz
05-13-2013, 06:41 PM
I think the country names are waaaaaayyyy to opaque and should be toned down. Also I would maybe also reduce the font size but increase the kerning.

thamupp
05-14-2013, 01:47 AM
I think the country names are waaaaaayyyy to opaque and should be toned down. Also I would maybe also reduce the font size but increase the kerning.

I see what you mean. But next update will probably have to wait for the weekend when I have some free time.

cfds
05-17-2013, 05:44 AM
I'm looking into it now.
And on a completely unrelated note, is this the worlds coolest looking coast?

Well, someone _did_ get an award for it...

vorropohaiah
05-17-2013, 06:10 AM
is that a hitchhikers guide reference i spot?

thamupp
06-24-2013, 10:45 AM
I believe this is the latest version.

- Max -
06-24-2013, 01:00 PM
Looks nice. The coat of arms on top of the cartouche popup too much on the map in my opinion. I'd tone it down or decrease its opacity to match the others elemnts of the map

Freehand 5.5
06-24-2013, 02:01 PM
Great project. I like that map.
I'm looking forward for more.

Two little things: I don't know for sure, but I think "... nostri Jesu Christi" is written without cpital N.
It may be a sort of style to start all words of a sentence with capitals, but it looks odd to me.

The other little thing is the black and white version of the kings shield. Why is it in black and white in the coat of arms and above in color?
So if you use a black and white version, then I'd use the official black and white patterns for the blue and yellow colors instead of black.
But the point is, that I wouldn't use a shield twice so close.

arsheesh
06-24-2013, 05:31 PM
Very much digging on this. Don't have any C&C for you, just wanted to say that I'm looking forward to seeing this completed.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Jan
06-24-2013, 05:33 PM
That looks amazing. Nice job thamupp.