PDA

View Full Version : A Political Map Korachan and its environs following the Events of the Great War...WIP

vorropohaiah
05-16-2013, 02:48 PM
A W.I.P of a personal map I'm working on at the moment. The map is going to be in the style of a later 19th century political map (so no mountains or forests, not that any forests exist in the depicted region!), but expect lots of different labels and small insets and dry river beds and industrial/raw material locations (foundries, quarries, open cast mines, ruins etc.) and a lot of labels. If im happy with the results of this map i'll probably use a similar style for all future atlas maps.

Lingon
05-16-2013, 02:59 PM
I'm doing something similar at the moment, 19th century-esque political map, so this will be interesting to follow. And it would of course be interesting even if I wasn't doing something similar :D

Mind if I ask what projection you are using? I've looked at tons of maps from the period and almost all seem to use the same, the one you have picked. I'd love to use it as well.

vorropohaiah
05-16-2013, 03:02 PM
not sure if its the same though im using an equidistant conic, based off of a equirectangular world map

Schwarzkreuz
05-16-2013, 09:49 PM
I am still very unsure about mapstyles Beyond the 18. Century. Most Time i relate more to classic Copperplate styles like J. Blaeu's Atlas Maior. Nevertheless i can fully understand your choice of styles and texture in your Atlas.

Viking
05-17-2013, 12:30 AM
I really like it and hope to see more. What software do you use to get such a clean line?

vorropohaiah
05-17-2013, 03:04 AM
I am still very unsure about mapstyles Beyond the 18. Century. Most Time i relate more to classic Copperplate styles like J. Blaeu's Atlas Maior. Nevertheless I can fully understand your choice of styles and texture in your Atlas.
well the world is pretty advanced and (tech-wise, at least) is comparable to industrial-age England so i figured a map-style fitting of that period would better convey it (though to give a bit more information, it's an industrial age that's stagnated for a very long time on an old world with nearly spent resources, so it's reaching the end of this age. The timeline goes on for about another 100-years, by which point its a bit more of a post-apocalyptic world with people competing over what remains of resources and most empires having crumbled due to ruined economies and starvation, amongst other things

I really like it and hope to see more. What software do you use to get such a clean line?
though illustrator/inkscape would be better for such lines, i just used photoshop and a 4px normal brush

Lingon
05-17-2013, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the projection info, maybe it isn't the same but it's similar enough for me :D

Lezales
05-17-2013, 07:01 PM
How do you do the stripes near your coasts ?

Other than that I really like it. It's very clean-looking !

thamupp
05-17-2013, 07:45 PM
Oh wow, this is going to be great I think! Did you make the paper texture youself? It looks really good.

Diamond
05-18-2013, 04:52 AM
I really like that soft blue color palette. This should be cool to watch develop...

vorropohaiah
05-18-2013, 05:39 AM

very very easy. i might post a quick tutorial on this later on. keep an eye out!

Oh wow, this is going to be great I think! Did you make the paper texture youself? It looks really good.
no, its a generic earthy texture tile that's set to overlay at 10% opacity, which provides just enough distressing to make the paper look interesting.

I really like that soft blue color palette. This should be cool to watch develop...

Eilathen
05-18-2013, 07:04 AM
How did i miss this thread?!?

And zoomed in regional-detail-maps of vorro's awesome map?! HELL YES! :D

Very much looking forward to it. And have a like, and if i can, a rep. .

vorropohaiah
05-19-2013, 03:17 AM

i posted a quick tutorial here (post216300)

How did i miss this thread?!?

And zoomed in regional-detail-maps of vorro's awesome map?! HELL YES! :D

Very much looking forward to it. And have a like, and if i can, a rep. .

vorropohaiah
05-20-2013, 06:43 AM
an updated WIP with revised border/neatline and political borders and names.

- Max -
05-20-2013, 06:55 AM
Looking nice so far, nice colours on the boundaries :)

thamupp
05-21-2013, 07:51 PM
I can't wait to see this advance, I'm sure it will look great!

And a question, in what document size are you making this?

vorropohaiah
05-22-2013, 02:04 AM
probably larger than it looks 24" x 36" at 300 dpi though the upload was reduced to 72 dpi

arsheesh
05-23-2013, 06:02 PM
I really like the soft water lines. However the borderlines look a bit heavy to me in comparison with the overall "soft" colors of the map. Perhaps if you turned down the opacity a bit it would help.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

vorropohaiah
05-24-2013, 02:23 AM
I really like the soft water lines. However the borderlines look a bit heavy to me in comparison with the overall "soft" colors of the map. Perhaps if you turned down the opacity a bit it would help.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

They're already down to about 40% but you're right, ill try lessen them

gio_bat_ver
05-27-2013, 05:44 AM
Excellent work! congratulations!

vorropohaiah
05-27-2013, 02:11 PM
a small update and, mostly a call for help!

i'm trying to do contested borders, though am not that happy with them. this is still a basic impression, which can easily be grunged up etc, though I's to see your opinions regarding these - are the ok? or too clunky? any suggestions to alternatives? please help!

- Max -
05-27-2013, 02:23 PM
Looks pretty good but I'd also try some thiner diagonal lines to check if it's better or not...

vorropohaiah
05-28-2013, 01:37 AM
thanks to max i decided to decrease the size of the diagonals to 60% and im happier with them (for now)...

Otviss
06-02-2013, 06:24 PM
Hey, what program are you using to create this?
and i would also like to know how you did those stripes along coasts.

vorropohaiah
06-03-2013, 02:43 AM
Hey, what program are you using to create this?
i should probably be using something like inkscape or illustrator though im plodding along with photoshop...

and i would also like to know how you did those stripes along coasts.
i actually wrote a small tutorial for this, which can be found here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/tutorials-how/23411-simple-wood-cut-wave-lines-tutorial.html)

vorropohaiah
01-17-2014, 09:57 AM
Wow, almost a year since i opened this thread... probably time I try finish this off. Of course that includes pulling a lot of towns/regions/features out of my ass!

well here's an update on the map - stylistically I'm pleased with where it's going, so now its just a matter of adding labels and details. Of note are the hills/mountains which are largely visible in the bottom left, which I'm not entirely happy with but are a step in the right direction - perhaps more translucency and extreme tapering? The cartouche is to get a bit of back-story (most of the nations and domains in the Korachani peninsula were recently united as one, but political events led to their fracturing over a period of scant years).

The second picture is a WIP (of course!) of a more up-to-date map that's more indicative of the style I'm hoping to emulate on my planned Elyden Atlas. I'm working on a set of actions to speed up the process of getting the base map started - as each page of the atlas is to feature common elements, there's no point in designing each from scratch. The page gutter on the left I think is a nice touch and indicative of a part of a greater whole - I can imagine a folio with dozens upon dozens of loose sheets. The Shibboleth map is A3 and I plan on redoing the Korachan map to match the size (or perhaps turn it into a 2-page spread, since it's the empire's capital nation, and detail each of its new regions on a single A3 page in greater detail).

I hope to start full work on the Shibboleth map in the coming weeks.

60356 60355

foremost
01-17-2014, 10:37 AM
stylistically

That's an awesome word. And yes, the map is
stylistically satisfying :)

With regards to the hills in the lower left corner,
I think more transparency would be nice. They
are very narrow and close to the coast. I like how
you did them though, so the presence does add
to the map for sure.