PDA

View Full Version : May/June Lite Entry - Through the Splotch Isles

Lingon
05-19-2013, 11:24 AM
Edit: This map contains mermaid nudity. Beware!

I've been wanting to try a technique for painting island groups with watercolors, and this challenge seems appropriate for that :) Basically I just painted some blotches of paint on moist paper, and then blew at them to give them some interesting shapes. When dry I touched up some edges a little, and that's where I am now:

### Latest WIP ###

Eventually this map will show the path one ship took through the group of islands, which I call the Splotch Isles and might be the remains of a violently erupting volcano, or of some fool throwing paint into the ocean randomly. I think I'll focus the map more on what was happening on the ship, instead of location names. It'll maybe make more sense later :lol:

The size of this is A4 by the way, and I think it will be watercolors only.

foremost
05-19-2013, 11:35 AM
Basically I just painted some blotches of paint on moist paper, and then blew at them to give them some interesting shapes. When dry I touched up some edges a little, and that's where I am now

That's an interesting idea! Do you plan to paint details on the islands, or just the water and path of the ship?

Lingon
05-19-2013, 05:41 PM
Yup, I will add some detail to the islands. Mountains, definitely, and maybe forests and rivers as well, though I don't want to add to much as that might make the sea look empty, and as the sea is supposed to be focal in this challenge that'd be bad :D

Lingon
05-20-2013, 03:36 PM
Sketched in some decorations, and gave it some more color. I painted the blue over both the sea and islands, to tone them and keep the color scheme tight, though that messed up some of the coasts so I'll have to sharpen them again.

### Latest WIP ###

Korash
05-20-2013, 08:01 PM
LOL! I LOVE the bored mermaid :) Keep up the good work.

Lingon
05-21-2013, 11:44 AM
Success :lol: I was a little worried she would come across as tired or arrogant instead, so I'm really happy you saw that she was bored. Thanks Korash!

Today's work, redefined the coasts and colored the decorations (though there's still some more detail to add).

### Latest WIP ###

I'll add a nudity warning in the first post, and one here as well: nudity!

Bogie
05-21-2013, 12:35 PM
Yay!! Nudity!!!

Chashio
05-21-2013, 02:58 PM
Yay!! Nudity!!!

haha! Bogie, that just made my day.

The octopus is priceless!

flatworlder
05-22-2013, 08:24 AM
This is looking really good, and the bored mermaid is nice, but I think I like the disinterested octopus the best.

arsheesh
05-27-2013, 04:16 PM
Ooh, very nice work with the water colors! The bored mermaid was a nice touch as well.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

jtougas
05-27-2013, 05:05 PM
Great !! The octupus is clearly not impressed with the mermaid and for her part she is probably lamenting her lack of dating choices.... Great work :)

Lingon
05-28-2013, 01:13 PM
Thanks everyone! I'll paint mermaids on all my maps from now on :lol:

Finished detailing said mermaid, and also gave the islands some mountains:

### Latest WIP ###

Lingon
06-06-2013, 03:49 AM
Starting to feel the panic as the deadline approaches, but then all the other entries look so good so I won't have a chance even if I would manage to finish, lol. Here's another small update, I just sharpened the shadows on the mountains and rubbed out some highlights, and added planks to the ship. Before, I thought the mountains were to fuzzy and undefined, but now I think they might be a bit overpowering. Hopefully they'll blend in better when the final details are in place.

### Latest WIP ###

Vinoex
06-06-2013, 08:12 AM
I think the mountains seam overpowering because they they are the only feature on the islands. Other details will help fill out the map, and in turn tone down the mountains.

WillP
06-06-2013, 04:11 PM
I think the mountains seam overpowering because they they are the only feature on the islands. Other details will help fill out the map, and in turn tone down the mountains.

I think if he tucks some jungle in and around the mountains, it will tone them down some.

Lingon
06-06-2013, 05:07 PM
Possible, but I want to keep the islands rather clean. They are only meant to function as obstacles, while the ship's path will be the focus of the map, so I don't think I'll add any more terrain features. I've been experimenting with the path digitally and I think it balances the mountains enough. Posting pictures soon :P Thanks for the feedback though!

Bogie
06-06-2013, 07:01 PM
You still have about 9 days, Git-er-Done! The mountains stand out more on the thumbnail view, On the full size view they look fine.

Lingon
06-08-2013, 06:20 AM
The deadline is June 13, so six days yesterday, five today ;) But you're right, still plenty of time :D

Here's what I've come up with, everything new in this version is hand-painted elements placed digitally, so I can still change the path and compass if needed. If I keep it this way, there's only labeling and a title left to do.

### Latest WIP ###

Disclaimer: I don't know if there are starfish with eight arms. If not, it's a mutant starfish.

Diamond
06-08-2013, 04:38 PM
I love the corner art. That octopus is like, "Somebody get me off this damn sign!" :D

Bogie
06-09-2013, 12:14 AM
There are starfish with many different numbers of legs, but it does not matter, you can make your starfish any way you want.

Lingon
06-11-2013, 04:13 AM
Thanks, Diamond and Bogie!

I think I'm done now actually, I had most of the labels in my head so writing them down didn't take too long. Maybe I'll do some tweaks if I have time, but otherwise this is the final version :) The labeling follows the journey and events during it, rather than locations, and begins at the ship in the lower left corner and continues along the path – hopefully this isn't too confusing :D

### Latest WIP ###

- Max -
06-11-2013, 04:19 AM
Look clear but the round dots don't really match the paint feel of the map imho.

WillP
06-11-2013, 09:23 AM
Lingon,

Not to be a grammar Nazi, but #9 "Captain is deemed to drunk" should be Captain is deemed too drunk."

Bogie
06-11-2013, 12:43 PM
Nice work, the story line is pretty funny.

Lingon
06-12-2013, 03:17 AM
@-Max-
Thanks, I agree about the dots, they didn't turn out so great… Placing them all was pretty time consuming though and I don't really have time to redo it, plus they are actually painted and scanned so I don't know what to do to make them feel more painted… so I think I'll leave them as they are. Thanks for the comment!

@WillP
Doh! I always get that wrong. English isn't my first language, I guess I can always blame that :P Thanks for pointing it out, I've updated the map with the correction below.

@Bogie
Thank you!

And here's the probably final (again) version:
### Latest WIP ###

Diamond
06-13-2013, 01:01 AM
Turned out great! And I still love that octopus.

Bogie
06-13-2013, 02:54 PM
Turned out great! And I still love that octopus.
The octopus is great, but the mermaid has boobs......

Diamond
06-13-2013, 03:34 PM
Maybe the octopus does too... :D

Lingon
06-13-2013, 03:39 PM
I just came up with the title for my first film: Mermaid vs Octopus.