PDA

View Full Version : Europe in 1623

thamupp
05-21-2013, 07:35 PM
Feeling a bit unmotivated to continue with my Scandinavia map I decided to resume working on a map of Europe this evening. I'm not sure at all where this is heading, but I figured I might as well share it here.

Any feedback would be much appreciated of course. I was very pleased with how I got the basemap to look like (no country borders) but after I started filling in the map I'm not so sure I'm moving in the right direction anymore.

A few notes:
-"Great Britain"-label looks a bit too big in this picture.
-Great Britain wasn't actually a country at this point (Scotland and England was just in a union) but the king did style himself as "King of Great Britain"
-Borders are mostly historically accurate (a few mistakes in the HRE and Italy, I'm sure.) I used Centennia to draw the borders.
-Watch out for bad spelling. :blush:

Carbus
05-21-2013, 07:50 PM
Outstanding! I love the simpleness and cleanliness of the composition! Keep up!

WillP
05-22-2013, 08:58 PM
Looks very good. I'm not going to attest to the accuracy of your HRE internal borders. I doubt even the mapmakers of that day could keep up with them.

Diamond
05-22-2013, 09:05 PM
Wow! Just... wow. Any chance you'd be willing to share that base map with us?

TheHoarseWhisperer
05-22-2013, 10:56 PM
Very nice. Just going to point out you've misspelled Habsburg/Hapsburg. And also, although it's up to you, I don't think you need to include 'The' Ottoman Empire. I didn't spot any other spelling mistakes, but some labels are a bit small to be easily read.

thamupp
05-23-2013, 12:19 PM
Looks very good. I'm not going to attest to the accuracy of your HRE internal borders. I doubt even the mapmakers of that day could keep up with them.

Hehe, indeed! Even the best sources I could find had unmapped parts of the HRE called "Lesser Imperial States".

Wow! Just... wow. Any chance you'd be willing to share that base map with us?

Not sure if this is what you mean, but this is what I was referring to as the "base map" in the OP.

Very nice. Just going to point out you've misspelled Habsburg/Hapsburg. And also, although it's up to you, I don't think you need to include 'The' Ottoman Empire. I didn't spot any other spelling mistakes, but some labels are a bit small to be easily read.

Thanks for the spelling tips! For some reason I always think "HASBURGERS?" when I hear "Habsburgs", not sure why. :lol:
Small labels shouldn't be a massive issue (no pun intended) considering this is downsized quite a bit.

Sapiento
05-23-2013, 12:55 PM
Good map, however there was no Great Britain in 1623. Scotland was still a sovereign nation at this time.

vorropohaiah
05-23-2013, 02:02 PM
i love these maps of yours! keep up the good work

Diamond
05-23-2013, 03:41 PM
Thanks for that, thamupp, that's exactly what I meant!

thamupp
05-23-2013, 03:53 PM
Good map, however there was no Great Britain in 1623. Scotland was still a sovereign nation at this time.

Thanks! Yes, I included this in my notes in the OP:
"-Great Britain wasn't actually a country at this point (Scotland and England was just in a union) but the king did style himself as "King of Great Britain"".

I'm not sure splitting Scotland and England up would be justified considering all other Personal Unions on the map is either labeled as "the biggest country's" name or by the rulers name. But perhaps that is justified here as the union is still in it's early stages? Please let me know what you think.

i love these maps of yours! keep up the good work

Thank you! I can't tell you what an inspiration your maps have been to me so far, just looking at your latest WIP has really gotten my creativity going. I've been throwing together a map of ancient greece today/last night that has a style very similar to your current WIP map. I hope you don't mind!

Thanks for that, thamupp, that's exactly what I meant!

No problem.

Schwarzkreuz
05-24-2013, 09:27 AM
Thamupp, you are doing a great job here. Just finish something to get moving. And dont overcrowed you with too many projetcs at the same time. I am already doing so :D

thamupp
07-28-2013, 08:03 AM
Here's the most recent WIP. Not much has changed but I decided to change some labels.

Still unsure about the whole "Great Britain vs England & Scotland" (http://www.cartographersguild.com/regional-world-mapping/23441-europe-1623-a.html#post216676) thing...

Azelor
07-28-2013, 01:21 PM
Great project .

Shoudn't Habsburgs be replace by Austria ? Habsburg is just the name of the dynasty. It's like calling France Bourbon.

Do you plan the add the political entities around the Caspian sea and in North Africa as well ? I'm just asking but I don't know much about them.

thamupp
07-28-2013, 01:29 PM
Great project .

Shoudn't Habsburgs be replace by Austria ? Habsburg is just the name of the dynasty. It's like calling France Bourbon.

Do you plan the add the political entities around the Caspian sea and in North Africa as well ? I'm just asking but I don't know much about them.

I decided to go with the Habsburg Monarchy/Empire (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habsburg_Monarchy) instead. I choose to do the same with the Spanish branch or the Habsburgs as well.

The regions around the caspian see are either not really ruled by anyone or part of Persia. Why Persia isn't on this map I don't know, must have forgotten.
North Africa will probably stay like it is. I guess I could give the Ottomans their north african holdings and I believe Morocco was a thing at this point.

- Max -
07-28-2013, 03:16 PM
I decided to go with the [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habsburg_Monarchy"]
I guess I could give the Ottomans their north african holdings and I believe Morocco was a thing at this point.

Should be more accurate with this yea.

thamupp
07-28-2013, 03:32 PM
Should be more accurate with this yea.

Well, I understand that I might should Include north african borders, but I think I prefer africa in it's current state. The non contiguous borders of the ottomans would just irritate me too much ;)

However, I don't see why I should rename the entity i called "Habsburgs" on my map to Austria. Quote from wikipedia:

Habsburg monarchy or Austrian monarchy (1526–1867): This was an unofficial, but very frequent name – even at that time. The entity had no official name. Note that technically the term "Habsburg monarchy" can also refer to the period 1276–1918 when the Habsburgs ruled in the monarchy (archduchy) centred in present-day Austria and "Austrian monarchy" can refer to the monarchy centered in present-day Austria 1156–1867, but both terms are usually not used this way.

Azelor
07-28-2013, 06:42 PM
You might be right, today we call it Austria but it was not always the case. I mean it might be like the name Bizantium. It's a modern word that the people of the era never used. Still, lot of people just write Bizantium instead of East roman empire while the people from there never considered themselve to be something else than roman.

- Max -
07-28-2013, 07:12 PM
The name Byzantine wasn't used though the city name Bizantium isn't a modern word and was already used by greeks, like Diodore mentioned it.

Azelor
07-29-2013, 01:22 AM
It's possible that I mixed the english words but yes, Bizantium was a greek colony. But you get the point.