PDA

View Full Version : Hey there.

Ghalev
06-25-2008, 06:03 AM
The email said to do this, so I obey.

"Say a little about yourself, your background, and your specific interest in cartography."

Myself: I like maps and stuff. Especially maps, but stuff is cool too.
My Background: [looks around] Living room. Kinda cool. More stuff in it than maps, tho.
My Specific Interest in Cartography: I like maps best when they're ... like pictures of a place, but only it's not a picture, but a sort of thing that tells you where stuff is. That's my favorite. Plus I like to play a wizard.

And ...

SAN DIMAS HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL RULES!

- Ghalev
(S. John Ross)

NeonKnight
06-25-2008, 06:35 AM
Hyurah!

Welcome aboard (but we're not a ship).

Redrobes
06-25-2008, 09:00 AM
Gettings visions of Bill 'n Ted now...

ravells
06-25-2008, 09:57 AM
Welcome to the Guild, Ghalev!

jfrazierjr
06-25-2008, 10:08 AM
The email said to do this, so I obey.

"Say a little about yourself, your background, and your specific interest in cartography."

Myself: I like maps and stuff. Especially maps, but stuff is cool too.
My Background: [looks around] Living room. Kinda cool. More stuff in it than maps, tho.
My Specific Interest in Cartography: I like maps best when they're ... like pictures of a place, but only it's not a picture, but a sort of thing that tells you where stuff is. That's my favorite. Plus I like to play a wizard.

Hey and stuff Ghalev. Like your cool background and stuff. No way, you like maps that show where stuff is! WAAAY!!! Me too! When you get some time and stuff, be sure to post up some of your maps that show where stuff is here dude! but no stuff please.... we have more than enough stuff posted here already dude. Rock on!

Joe

jfrazierjr
06-25-2008, 10:13 AM
On a slightly more serious note and stuff: The great Rufus has passed on and failed his 2 out of 3 game of twister with death. :( That is MOST heinous and non triumphant.

Steel General
06-25-2008, 05:13 PM
Welcome Ghalev!!

Jump on in the waters fine :)

Ghalev
06-26-2008, 01:40 AM
On a slightly more serious note and stuff: The great Rufus has passed on and failed his 2 out of 3 game of twister with death. :( That is MOST heinous and non triumphant.

Way :(

----------------

Ghalev
06-26-2008, 04:29 AM
When you get some time and stuff, be sure to post up some of your maps that show where stuff is here dude!

Yes! I have done many maps, a few have their fans, but this is probably my finest hour.

Mind you, the fans of my other maps usually just stare in horror at this one and wonder if I'm joking. It's a communications issue; I have it on the to-do.

Finest. Hour.

Ghalev
06-26-2008, 06:12 AM
... and because this one (the only currently-public map from several in a WIP to be published Real Soon Now, Honest) is laying around, here's that, too. Not quite as rock-out-awesome, but more technique and stuff.

Ghalev
06-26-2008, 06:37 AM
... and finally, to show that I also love knowing where interior stuff is (even though, duh, it's inside), some of that, too ... the dungeony bits are (on the left) a proof-of-concept test for a texture test, then the same textures applied to a temple map from a WIP (same wip as the map in the above post). The spaceship is ... like a ship, but in space. Upper deck left, lower (hold) right. More vectory.

jfrazierjr
06-26-2008, 09:45 AM
Yes! I have done many maps, a few have their fans, but this is probably my finest hour.

Mind you, the fans of my other maps usually just stare in horror at this one and wonder if I'm joking. It's a communications issue; I have it on the to-do.

to-do = fix communication issue? I find torture works well to convince people to my point of view most of the time. That and endless hours of Yanni pipe music until they relent.

Joe

jfrazierjr
06-26-2008, 09:46 AM
... and because this one (the only currently-public map from several in a WIP to be published Real Soon Now, Honest) is laying around, here's that, too. Not quite as rock-out-awesome, but more technique and stuff.

Actually, I think this is very rock awesome and much more triumphant than the previous.

Joe

Naeddyr
06-26-2008, 09:52 AM
No no, I agree with Ghalev, the first one has a certain charm that endears itself to me, a je ne sais quoi, except not as French.

jfrazierjr
06-26-2008, 10:50 AM
No no, I agree with Ghalev, the first one has a certain charm that endears itself to me, a je ne sais quoi, except not as French.

That's cool. For me, I am just not that big of a hand drawn b/w map fan, probably because I totally reek at it. Although, the map mentioned certainly does have some evocative place names!

Joe

RobA
06-26-2008, 11:10 AM
- Ghalev
(S. John Ross)

The S. John Ross ?!??! As in DA's Temphis? and Cumberland Games?

Sweet!

-Rob A>

torstan
06-26-2008, 12:17 PM

Sweet!

-Rob A>

Well the Temphis in Ghalev's avatar would suggest yes....

Great set of maps!

Ghalev
06-26-2008, 02:50 PM
Actually, I think this is very rock awesome and much more triumphant than the previous.

Yanni, did you say? Excellent ... (reaches for the PLAY button ...)

Ghalev
06-26-2008, 02:55 PM

I don't normally think of myself as "The" anything (the "S." is confusing enough) but otherwise, yah. "Ghalev" is a holdover from Star Trek material I did for Last Unicorn Games, but it just stuck after a while ...

Actually, come to think of it, I did maps for that, too, but not the published ones in that case; just base maps redrawn by LUG's graphics guys. I think my first professional RPG mapping gig may have been a few for an In Nomine book awhile back. Yeeeeek.

A Google led me here but it turns out I couldn't look at the cool maps without signing up, so, I signed up.

Ghalev
06-26-2008, 03:02 PM
That's cool. For me, I am just not that big of a hand drawn b/w map fan, probably because I totally reek at it. Although, the map mentioned certainly does have some evocative place names!

I chose those two, really, because I consider them siblings. While the graphic techniqe for each is vastly different, I built them both on the same design principle: HEAVY NOISE. Lots and lots of unexplained place-names fired into the face of the Game Master like shotgun pellets on the theory that at least a couple will net his godly attentions. :)

The first one may be spotted in its natural context in the goofy freeware hoaxy game here:
http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/encounter-critical.htm

The second one may only be spotted in isolation for the moment, but it's one of a half-dozen maps to appear in the forthcoming systemless edition of Uresia: Grave of Heaven.

... and the similarities are no accident. I consider Uresia and Encounter Critical to be blood-brothers in many ways, two sides of the same wobbly mountain of gaming luuuv ...

RPMiller
06-26-2008, 05:10 PM
I shall add an additional 'Welcome to the Guild' and say that I hope you find it comfortable here and worth your time and attention. We are always looking for industry professionals such as yourself to not only contribute but also help those of us with less fortunate skill sets.

Ghalev
06-26-2008, 05:26 PM
I shall add an additional 'Welcome to the Guild' and say that I hope you find it comfortable here and worth your time and attention.

... Honestly, I think it's more a question of can I discipline myself not to let it drain away too MUCH of my time :) I'm map-addicted, always have been :(

We are always looking for industry professionals such as yourself to not only contribute but also help those of us with less fortunate skill sets.

I'm always happy to swap tips with my fellow cartophiles, though there are plenty of gaps in my own skill-sets that maybe I can shore up in trade :)

RPMiller
06-26-2008, 08:23 PM
I'm always happy to swap tips with my fellow cartophiles, though there are plenty of gaps in my own skill-sets that maybe I can shore up in trade :)
Absolutely! That is why we are here, and it would be a great honor to be able to help you in that way. Although I doubt it will be me that does it. ;)

Turgenev
07-03-2008, 02:54 PM
I thought I should do an "official" hello in your introduction thread. :P Love the maps and look forward to seeing more and learning a thing or two from you as well. http://209.85.62.26/12611/85/emo/thumb.gif

Ghalev
07-03-2008, 08:46 PM
I thought I should do an "official" hello in your introduction thread. :P Love the maps and look forward to seeing more and learning a thing or two from you as well. http://209.85.62.26/12611/85/emo/thumb.gif

Likewise :) Havin' fun so far!