PDA

View Full Version : Go ahead, laugh.

megabyter5
06-25-2008, 01:11 PM
I have this vision in my head of a city map made by me that doesn't suck. So here are the oddities that were spawned of this vision. The first one I made was Fort Forte, in which I neglected the need for texture. Secondly, I made Port Haven, which is currently my favorite, followed by Ville Town, where the forests look like moss growing on the picture. Check beck often, as I will post more.

PS: Are there any good tutorials for making forests in GIMP?

Edit/PPS: I know the first question is going to be about a scale. The answer is "I don't really know what to make the scale." So there.

RobA
06-25-2008, 03:14 PM

What kind of forest? If you show an example, I might be able to come up with something :P (cause the ones in my big tutorial are adequate, but not great).

I am interested in the building style you use here... Is it intentional that the building are soft, or are you looking for tips on drawing squarer buildings?

-Rob A>

jfrazierjr
06-25-2008, 04:45 PM

Yep, there are several tutorials and mini tuts around. Ascension just posted a pretty nice one up just a few days ago for making trees in PS that you should be able to adapt. Also, DanChops took a modified method from Robs tutorial and made a little mini tut in a post around 4 weeks ago.

I am interested in the building style you use here... Is it intentional that the building are soft, or are you looking for tips on drawing squarer buildings?

-Rob A>

Also, watch out when using drop shadows as they tend to make things look like they are floating above the ground.

Ascension
06-25-2008, 08:34 PM
Personally, I like the look of the tents...reminds me of Dig Em Smacks cereal or some other puffed rice thing, but yeah, I like the second one as well.

NeonKnight
06-25-2008, 10:20 PM
I think your maps shows some real promise. The building edges are not crisp enough for me (but that is for me tho, YMMV)

megabyter5
06-25-2008, 10:54 PM
GRRRRRR! I've probably tried every tree tutorial on this site, and they all either needed PS layer effects, or just plain looked awful! Does anyone know what I should do?

jfrazierjr
06-25-2008, 11:19 PM
GRRRRRR! I've probably tried every tree tutorial on this site, and they all either needed PS layer effects, or just plain looked awful! Does anyone know what I should do?

I have been using the variation on on RobA's Regional map DanChops came up with that uses plasma for a regional map. That is probably not the right scale for your use here though. I think Torq uses GIMP and he has some really nice trees in a recent city map post he did for this months challenge, so check the recent posts and ask a question over there.

If all else fails and you find something in PS that you like, point RobA to it and being the GIMP god that he is, he will figure out a way to do it if given a few days. I know I have see several other PS techniques he has adapted from an original poster in a thread. Not sure if this includes trees, so you would have to spend time searching the threads. Or just wait until someone else replies that knows the answer!

Joe

Torq
06-26-2008, 03:01 AM
I have been using the variation on on RobA's Regional map DanChops came up with that uses plasma for a regional map. That is probably not the right scale for your use here though. I think Torq uses GIMP and he has some really nice trees in a recent city map post he did for this months challenge, so check the recent posts and ask a question over there.

If all else fails and you find something in PS that you like, point RobA to it and being the GIMP god that he is, he will figure out a way to do it if given a few days. I know I have see several other PS techniques he has adapted from an original poster in a thread. Not sure if this includes trees, so you would have to spend time searching the threads. Or just wait until someone else replies that knows the answer!

Joe

I do use Gimp and those trees are gimp (or photoshop - they also work in gimp now as long as they have .abr extensions) brushes that I downloaded at Deviantart.com. I think the author is "Istar".

Torq

RobA
06-26-2008, 10:36 AM
I do use Gimp and those trees are gimp (or photoshop - they also work in gimp now as long as they have .abr extensions) brushes that I downloaded at Deviantart.com. I think the author is "Istar".

Torq

I searched at DA and couldn't find :( Can you look up the brush pack name?

-Rob A>

megabyter5
06-26-2008, 09:54 PM
I checked DA's GIMP brushes section, but to no avail.

Torq
06-28-2008, 05:02 PM
The author of the brush is actually "istarlome". I got the name wrong, but that particular brush doesn't seem to be there anymore. I tried google too and Istarlo0me has done a lot of brushes but I couldn't seem to find that one again.

Torq

megabyter5
07-06-2008, 06:34 PM
All this time later, and nobody has even TRIED to help me with my forests? Uncool.

Redrobes
07-06-2008, 07:12 PM
You can use my tree photo from this post...

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showpost.php?p=13197&postcount=19

The last one is a tileable texture. If you read through that thread then you can see that getting tree photos top down for use as textures is quite hard. You can get 3D tree making apps. One I know of is SpeedTree but I think its a commercial program. It has a demo tho that you can whoop up some trees with. If the work is for personal use then you could use these.

SeerBlue
07-06-2008, 11:54 PM
another route, if your willing to learn some new, free, software, is use the new terragen (http://planetside.co.uk/terragen/tg2/tech_preview.shtml)
get the terragen software, the free xfrogs pack, and experiment. you can do orthographic renders of one tree to whole forests, depending on your computer, and up to 3 different tree types in the population with the free terragen preview. The are also more free tre objects, called tgo's in the planetside forums (http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?PHPSESSID=24caf3ffd564a1286c1f5104e2a0cb 05&board=14.0)
The planetside forums have alot of info on using the new terragen, and if you decide to try this route I could send you an example file for use in the app which will set up the objects and camera for you.
SeerBlue