PDA

View Full Version : May-June Lite Entry, OldPort a Working Waterfront

Bogie
05-26-2013, 08:44 PM
I just got started on my entry, The OldPort, a Working Waterfront.
This challenge has so many good possibilities, I had a hard time picking one I wanted to do.

So far I just have some buildings and the Docks.

### LATEST WIP ###

foremost
05-26-2013, 09:27 PM
I'm sure you'll do well with this, but you'll need a focus of interest. The roofs of your buildings look a little strange... the buildings in the right look almost like granite steps. I'd like to look inside them maybe. Oh and a ship (even a simple one) would be cool.

Looking forward to seeing where you go with this.

FM

jtougas
05-27-2013, 01:42 PM
Ah Bogie... The master of the map element and a great start. You realize that now I might just HAVE to enter this.... :)

Bogie
05-27-2013, 08:44 PM
Ah Bogie... You realize that now I might just HAVE to enter this.... :)

The more the merrier ! ! !

Bogie
05-31-2013, 02:10 AM
Got all the boats & ships on the map. Now I have to work on shadows and the water itself, (the blue is just temporary).

Do you like the map better vertical like this or on it's side like the first post?

### LATEST WIP ###

anomiecoalition
05-31-2013, 02:28 AM
I vote vertical...

Korash
05-31-2013, 01:27 PM
me too... makes it stand out more I think. I know it is all an illusion, but it makes the mind "look" at it diffenrly.

WillP
05-31-2013, 05:55 PM
I gotta agree. Vertical makes it pop. Can't explain why.

Diamond
05-31-2013, 08:20 PM
I agree with my esteemed colleagues.

Bogie
05-31-2013, 10:42 PM
Thanks Guys, vertical it is! Now I have to pour some water on it.

jtougas
06-01-2013, 04:47 PM
and make it DIRTY !!!! This looks great Bogie a very busy port with all the right details (minus the dirt and usual detritus that collects around docks) I can hear the clanging of the ships bells and the grunting of the stevedores as they load all manner of legal (and sometimes not so) legal cargo on those ships. If you look close you can see the lurching sailor returning to sleep off the latest round of "shore leave" The lovely ladies of Penelope's Pleasure Palace are freshly dressed and looking for business and the ship captains are all playing dice at the Silver Sails. Thieves skulk and muggers mug. I see all of this in your map. Now I just need to be able to smell the rotten fish cheap perfume and searing steaks from the inns. Great Job !! :)

lostatsea
06-02-2013, 10:32 PM
and make it DIRTY !!!! This looks great Bogie a very busy port with all the right details (minus the dirt and usual detritus that collects around docks) I can hear the clanging of the ships bells and the grunting of the stevedores as they load all manner of legal (and sometimes not so) legal cargo on those ships. If you look close you can see the lurching sailor returning to sleep off the latest round of "shore leave" The lovely ladies of Penelope's Pleasure Palace are freshly dressed and looking for business and the ship captains are all playing dice at the Silver Sails. Thieves skulk and muggers mug. I see all of this in your map. Now I just need to be able to smell the rotten fish cheap perfume and searing steaks from the inns. Great Job !!

I second all that and I should Know !!! Argh !!

Bogie
06-03-2013, 02:15 AM
Thanks guys! I appreciate all the nice comments!

I added the water and dirtied it up a bit, changed a couple of the buildings and enlarged the marketplace.

### LATEST WIP ###

jtougas
06-03-2013, 11:39 AM
Awesome Bogie Just Awesome !! :)

Bogie
06-06-2013, 03:03 AM
I added a border, a label, and a compass. I tied all the boats to the docks and fixed some errors.
I think I'm about done unless anyone sees something I missed.

### LATEST WIP ###

Vinoex
06-06-2013, 09:15 AM
It looks great, I like the level of detail that you put in. The objects underwater keep the map interesting. The only problem I see is that the gangplanks to the ships have a bright blue beneath them. Also it shows up in the gaps of the sail for the bottom ship. Keep up the good work.

Bogie
06-06-2013, 09:34 AM
Thanks Vinoex, the blue is a remnant of replacing the blue background with the waves. I had noticed it, but forgot to fix it. will work on it tonight.

- Max -
06-06-2013, 09:53 AM
Nice detailed one as always! Two comments though : the crab looks pretty big and I'm not really convinced by the white waves close to the docks :/

jtougas
06-06-2013, 10:35 AM
Fantastic Bogie. I always love the way your maps come together and this really feels like a busy,dirty,smelly port. IMO the waves against the rocks are spot on. :)

anomiecoalition
06-06-2013, 01:11 PM
Awesome stuff man! Really love the border and all the cool details below the water surface. I would echo Max's comment about the white waves (Also - would there really be crashing waves that far into the harbor?)

Korash
06-06-2013, 01:22 PM
People....A working port needs PEOPLE.....

That was a little nitpick, but the only thing that I can find missing from this.

Bogie
06-06-2013, 11:23 PM
I fixed the leftover blue bits, shrunk the crab and reduced the breakers by about half.

Sorry Korash, the longshoremen / teamsters union is on strike.

### Latest WIP ###

Korash
06-06-2013, 11:44 PM
yeah...when that union whistle blows......

geamon
06-06-2013, 11:52 PM
I know you weapon of choice is Dundjinni.. But have you considered learning a raster based image editor to add more custom feel to some of the elements, textures or environment? You may end up finding that you can pull various elements together into a more cohesive style that matches your aesthetic. So far though good work.

Bogie
06-08-2013, 12:29 AM
Thanks Geamon. About 80% of everything you see here was already created or edited by me in Photoshop. I use Photoshop to make all the mapping elements I post, Dundjinni to assemble all the parts, and then Photoshop again to edit, fix and add special effects. As for a lack of cohesive style, that's because all my elements come from different source materials. for example, 2 of the houses were made from scratch using a tiling roof texture, while the other one was a train station model that I photographed. Many of the boats were boat models I photographed, while the largest one was created in Dundjinni. And I'm OK with the lack of a cohesive style, If you look around the real world there is more diversity than cohesiveness. I know sometimes the different styles clash, but drawing it all the same would require a skill I just don't have. It's a funny thing, I can dig a piece of metal out of a patient's eye with a rock solid steady hand even at 16 X magnification, but ask me to draw a straight line or a smooth curve and it looks like was done by a 4 year old on a sugar high.

Bogie
06-16-2013, 12:24 AM
One last minute change. Added a new boat I photographed last weekend.

### Latest WIP ###

Lingon
06-16-2013, 07:12 AM
Ok, I have to ask, while the threads are still open: how do you take photos of boats from above?!

Lovely map by the way :D

Simon33600
06-16-2013, 07:43 AM
Jet pack, Lingon, jet pack.

Or maybe from the dockside at low tide?

Anyway, I really like it.
How did you obtain the cracks on the pavements? Black pencilled line with shadows?

And these are some big damn fishies!

KenG
06-16-2013, 07:57 AM
Really great underwater details. I had to zoom in to see them but the rocks and sunken ship are well done.

Bogie
06-16-2013, 09:32 AM
Thanks guys

@Lingon I carry a 40 ft ladder where ever I go. Actually they are boat models I see in gift stores.

@Simon The cracks are covers that I place on the floors, like this 55402