PDA

View Full Version : Belendora

Sapiento
05-28-2013, 05:10 AM
Testing a new brush set for mountains and hills etc. That's the result so far.
Next step will be forests - as usual I'm still indecisive if I shall use single tree symbols or drawing the forests in full.

vorropohaiah
05-28-2013, 05:46 AM
i like the hill brushes on this one as well as the overall colours. very nice

- Max -
05-28-2013, 05:59 AM
Looking great so far! (maybe the overall palette is looking a bit flat, nothing's really wrong though)

loogie
05-28-2013, 08:56 AM
looks quite snazzy.

first impression is that the mountains seem to pop, could be purposeful, and could very well even out when you put other things on the map... but as is, the mountains just seem too... crisp compared to the rest of the features.. could be that everything else is in shades of green (i think even the water has green values to it)... like i said, this could change with the addition of towns, labels, and such, and you might also want the mountains to pop..

I do love the brushes, they look quite good. kudos.

Schwarzkreuz
05-28-2013, 09:10 PM
Very intense Mountains! Your best ones that I have seen. I am not so sure about the hills sipping off into fading next to the Mountain's rendering.

Diamond
05-29-2013, 12:24 AM
I think the hills could be more... transition-y? :D Right now they seem to be much closer to the tones/look of the surrounding land than to the mountains. I LOVE the overall color scheme and layout.

Sapiento
05-29-2013, 02:42 AM
Thank you, guys, for the comments.
I will work on the transition hills-mountains. As I'd like to keep the hills' colour to the surrounding land, I will add some colour to the mountains base. Maybe I also switch back to a more brownish colour for the mountains as I had in an earlier version.

Sapiento
05-29-2013, 03:11 AM
A quick try to solve the transition issue and the possibly too strong appearance of the mountains.

Black_Rose
05-29-2013, 03:23 AM
Looking great! I like the way you did the hills.

Sapiento
05-30-2013, 02:18 AM
Forests added.

Eilathen
05-30-2013, 05:50 AM
I love the mountains. Like SK i think those are your best mountains so far.

Not sure about the forests. They look like they were put on top of the land, not really like they're part of the land...if that makes sense (wie obendrauf gelegt...falls das Sinn macht).
And the hills are too steep, too pointy for my taste...they look more like green miniature mountains instead of hills.

Sapiento
05-31-2013, 09:21 AM
I reduced the shadow/light on the forests, so maybe they don't pop out so much anymore.

Added borders for the main map and - planned so far - some city views below and coat of arms on the right side.

Pineapple
05-31-2013, 09:51 AM
I love the style of this piece and your mountains are beautiful.

The forests seem like they're drawn from a slightly different perspective than the mountains and hills. In other words, we're getting a side or diagonal view of the mountains, but almost a bird's-eye view of the forests. I think that's why the forests don't seem to mesh with everything else, at least to me.

Viking
05-31-2013, 10:33 AM
This is looking fantastic so far!

Sapiento
05-31-2013, 10:59 AM
I love the style of this piece and your mountains are beautiful.

The forests seem like they're drawn from a slightly different perspective than the mountains and hills. In other words, we're getting a side or diagonal view of the mountains, but almost a bird's-eye view of the forests. I think that's why the forests don't seem to mesh with everything else, at least to me.

Thanks. Interesting observation regarding the forests - I have the impression (and it was my goal) they are seen from the same perspective. Maybe I have to go for another style.

Diamond
05-31-2013, 02:04 PM
The forests work for me; the perspective seems to be the same as with the mountains. It did help that you reduced the contrast though; they blend better now.

Those borders look great. In fact the whole map is great.

- Max -
05-31-2013, 02:16 PM
Some forests seems match better than some others. Maybe it's about shade/lights on them, not sure though....Nice job overall.

Sapiento
05-31-2013, 02:21 PM
The forests work for me; the perspective seems to be the same as with the mountains. It did help that you reduced the contrast though; they blend better now.

Those borders look great. In fact the whole map is great.

Thank you, Diamond!
I'm glad that the forests look better now - I guess I will keep them.

I worked a little bit on the appearance of the borders and also put in a first idea for the city images - somewhat inspired by leadlights.

Sapiento
05-31-2013, 02:22 PM
Some forests seems match better than some others. Maybe it's about shade/lights on them, not sure though....Nice job overall.

Thanks. Ok, I will gave the shading a closer look tomorrow.

Eilathen
05-31-2013, 02:23 PM
Yep, forests look definitely better...more an organic part of the land.

Still not a fan of the "hills".

Sapiento
05-31-2013, 03:09 PM
Well, at least the forests work now.
I can't do much about the hills, however. Maybe reducing the opacity.

WhatTheBlazes
06-01-2013, 10:56 AM
That is.. extremely handsome stuff. Liking those mountains a lot.

Would be rad if you put down some of your stuff as a tutorial!

Sapiento
06-02-2013, 03:49 AM
That is.. extremely handsome stuff. Liking those mountains a lot.

Would be rad if you put down some of your stuff as a tutorial!

Thank you! Maybe I can find the time to make a small tut for the mountains.

In the meantime I have finished the city views. From left to right:
Rotenburg - Imperial capital since Hadubrant II. Named after the castle, which is built from red granite (rote Burg - red castle).
Zaim - Former capital of the Zaiman Empire, now seat of the grand duke of the house Nueninger, an orthodox bishop and a reformist secundus. Most prominent buildings are the orthodox Saint Saphrax cathedral (west) and the reformist Saint Goiaricus cathedral (east).
Essellen - Old Zaiman city, also known under its old name Essellion. Dominated by the huge lighthouse, built by old Zaiman architect Brennius of Galiana.
Neuenburg - Important imperial city, capital of the Duchy of Weringen, short-time capital during the second civil war, when the legitimate Emperor Thorismund IV was forced to leave Rotenburg when his uncle Unigild staged the notorious 'Bloody Monday' coup. Dominated by the Schwarze Burg (black castle).

- Max -
06-02-2013, 01:10 PM
pretty cities views

Sapiento
06-23-2013, 05:06 AM
Coat of arms added.
Upper row are the nations, the CoA on the right side represent the major houses of the Argomanic Empire.

Next step will be city icons.

- Max -
06-23-2013, 07:49 AM
I assume there's gonna be some names/informations next to the Coat of Arms?

Sapiento
06-23-2013, 10:08 AM
I assume there's gonna be some names/informations next to the Coat of Arms?

Of course.

Diamond
06-23-2013, 02:01 PM
Those coats-of-arms are just gorgeous. How are you making those - PS? Or Inkscape or something? They look so clean; I have problems getting something that looks that good. And that subtle light source on them looks spectacular.

Sapiento
06-23-2013, 02:52 PM
Those coats-of-arms are just gorgeous. How are you making those - PS? Or Inkscape or something? They look so clean; I have problems getting something that looks that good. And that subtle light source on them looks spectacular.

I use Illustrator to make them, but Inkscape can do the same. You need good raster images that you can trace in a vector program.
The light source is a bevel and emboss effect with a very large size.

Viking
06-26-2013, 09:06 PM
I want to say I do really like city illustrations at the bottom. Are they specific cities on the map?

Sapiento
06-27-2013, 04:30 AM
I want to say I do really like city illustrations at the bottom. Are they specific cities on the map?

They are the most important cities of the Argomanic Empire, which is the most powerful state on the continent of Belendora - the fictitious map maker resides there, so he has put some home-flavour to the map.

National borders, labels and first idea for city icons placed.

Londonsmee
06-27-2013, 04:45 AM
awesome work. jealous :)

- Max -
06-27-2013, 06:26 AM
Looks great! Though the cities icons color don't really make them legible on the map. It's consistent with the borders but I'd try some different colors to see if some lighter one works

Sapiento
06-27-2013, 08:18 AM
awesome work. jealous :)

Thank you.

Looks great! Though the cities icons color don't really make them legible on the map. It's consistent with the borders but I'd try some different colors to see if some lighter one works

Good point. I try to make them brighter.

- Max -
06-27-2013, 11:23 AM
No problem, can't wait to see it finished :)

Diamond
06-27-2013, 03:33 PM
I agree with Max; that red is too dark. I'm not sure I'm a big fan of that type of border on this map either. I know that's kind of your 'thing', but what about trying just plain dashed or dotted borders? I feel like the way they are now, they're too much of a distraction/overwhelming with the shields and overall land colors.

Sapiento
07-01-2013, 12:55 PM
I agree with Max; that red is too dark. I'm not sure I'm a big fan of that type of border on this map either. I know that's kind of your 'thing', but what about trying just plain dashed or dotted borders? I feel like the way they are now, they're too much of a distraction/overwhelming with the shields and overall land colors.

I have put so much work into the border - I'll keep it, even if I can see the point. My goal was a heavily decorated map and I think the current border serves this goal well.

I have slightly changed the appearance of the icons.

- Max -
07-01-2013, 01:07 PM
I like the map but everytime I look at it, I think there's something wrong with those icons....Don't really know what but since there's a lot of them, it's kind of disturbing. Maybe the lack of colors on them that make them look too unform on the map? :/

Sapiento
07-01-2013, 01:19 PM
I like the map but everytime I look at it, I think there's something wrong with those icons....Don't really know what but since there's a lot of them, it's kind of disturbing. Maybe the lack of colors on them that make them look too unform on the map? :/

Good point. I'm not 100% satisfied with the icons as they are now and this could be the reason.

Diamond
07-01-2013, 03:22 PM
They seem far too evenly spaced to me... I think even in a heavily-settled region, there's still going to be 'dead spaces' where there's not a lot (or any human habitation). Certainly they exist on your map, but the way the city/town icons are spaced makes it seem as if there isn't any.

Sapiento
07-02-2013, 01:24 PM
The city icons are new and differently placed on the map.

- Max -
07-02-2013, 03:03 PM
Way better for me :)

Viking
07-03-2013, 12:57 AM
Sapiento, I like how this is coming along! The cities definitely do pop out more and it's nice to see the four major cities at the bottom named. I don't know if I said it before or not but I really love your colour use and your heraldry!

Sapiento
07-03-2013, 01:46 AM
Way better for me :)

Sapiento, I like how this is coming along! The cities definitely do pop out more and it's nice to see the four major cities at the bottom named. I don't know if I said it before or not but I really love your colour use and your heraldry!

Thank you! Good to see that the changes are positive.
I also included small hints at the different denominations of the imperial church - red-gold buildings for orthodox, white-blue for reformist. Not an exact science here, but it gives an indication if the settlement is equally inhabited by followers of both branches or tending to one or another of it. I think there are a few symbols which have none of them, there minor, tolerated branches are dominating.

Diamond
07-03-2013, 01:34 PM
Yes, that looks much better. Fantastic, in fact.

Sapiento
07-04-2013, 02:01 AM
Yes, that looks much better. Fantastic, in fact.

Thank you!

I think the map could benefit from some special places icons - any ideas?

- Max -
07-04-2013, 04:08 AM
It probably depends of the settings ideas you have, or the informations that are the most essential on the map. Btw The colors hint for showing the different churches is a very good trick imo (I might keep some inspiration from it on some next maps :D ) and you should try to find some room to add it on the key!

Sapiento
07-04-2013, 07:17 AM
It probably depends of the settings ideas you have, or the informations that are the most essential on the map. Btw The colors hint for showing the different churches is a very good trick imo (I might keep some inspiration from it on some next maps :D ) and you should try to find some room to add it on the key!

I had thought to add maybe some important monasteries - this would also fit to the already existing information. Or maybe fortresses?

Schwarzkreuz
07-04-2013, 09:05 AM
Interesting to see your workprogress on this.
Great work, I realy like the overall feel and the painterly way of the Landscape. Only thing bugging me is the big chunk of pixelized texture east of the central mountains.

fifty
07-04-2013, 11:26 AM
Love it! Please do a tut so I can make mountains as pretty as yours! :)

Diamond
07-04-2013, 06:57 PM
Great work, I realy like the overall feel and the painterly way of the Landscape. Only thing bugging me is the big chunk of pixelized texture east of the central mountains.

I think that's on purpose - it looks like it might be a swamp.

Sapiento
07-05-2013, 07:44 AM
I think that's on purpose - it looks like it might be a swamp.

Actually it's just pixelated. But I could turn it into a swamp! ;-)

Sapiento
07-05-2013, 07:46 AM

Thanks, also for the hint.

Sapiento
07-05-2013, 09:23 AM
More labels placed and compass and scale bar added, together with a title shield.

Sapiento
07-08-2013, 02:49 AM
More details added.

I'm still unsure about special places.

Ramah
07-08-2013, 03:38 AM
The only thing that kinda doesn't work for me on this map is - like I think someone else said - the border. You have this lovely, vibrant and almost cartoony style to the map but to me that border just wants to be on an old fashioned monochrome line shaded map.
Still, even with those thoughts I still think the map is great, Sap. :)

Eilathen
07-08-2013, 06:23 AM
Hey Sapiento, a possible typo:

Soll das wirklich "Wappen der hohen Häuser der ERSEN Tafel des..." heissen? Ich hätte auf "...der ersTen Tafel..." getippt. If not, just disregard ^^

Sapiento
07-08-2013, 07:38 AM
Hey Sapiento, a possible typo:

Soll das wirklich "Wappen der hohen Häuser der ERSEN Tafel des..." heissen? Ich hätte auf "...der ersTen Tafel..." getippt. If not, just disregard ^^

Gut erkannt - Danke!

Thank you!

Sapiento
07-08-2013, 07:46 AM
I have now coloured the border slightly.

Diamond
07-08-2013, 01:48 PM
I actually meant the borders for the kingdoms, but Ramah had a good point about the outer borders as well. And they do look better with that color added in.

As for special places... hm... What about monasteries or holy sites (where miracles occured, etc) to go with the semi-religious theme you've already got going?

- Max -
07-08-2013, 02:57 PM
I concur with Diamlond's idea about special places!

Diamond
07-08-2013, 03:52 PM
Just be careful not to overcrowd the map, though. I would keep the icons for the sites very small, so they don't get confused with the cities/towns, and so they don't overwhelm the whole thing.

Sapiento
07-09-2013, 01:48 AM
Maybe sites of feretories. And miracle sites. Yes, good idea, Diamond.

Sapiento
07-10-2013, 02:56 AM
Sites of the most important feretories and miracles added. Of course there are hundreds more, but they wouldn't fit all on the map.

Freodin
07-10-2013, 01:04 PM
Amazing map. Full of info, full of colour, but still not cluttered. I feel a wave of awe and envy incomming. ;)

Sapiento
07-14-2013, 02:04 AM
Amazing map. Full of info, full of colour, but still not cluttered. I feel a wave of awe and envy incomming. ;)

Thank you!

Anyone with additional ideas for this map? Otherwise I would call it finished.

- Max -
07-14-2013, 05:06 AM
Well, I still think that the key should show the several religions (with your different roofs colors) since religious thing seems to be an important feature on the map but you'd have to find some room to put it.

Diamond
07-14-2013, 05:53 PM
Well, I still think that the key should show the several religions (with your different roofs colors) since religious thing seems to be an important feature on the map but you'd have to find some room to put it.

Hmmm... He could shrink down the city key box (which probably doesn't need to be so huge anyway), and put in a small, simple inset map just showing landmass outlines with shaded areas showing different religions.

Sapiento
07-15-2013, 03:02 AM
Small symbols for religious affiliation added.

- Max -
07-15-2013, 03:53 AM
That 's great! :)

wormthered
07-20-2013, 06:36 PM
Fantastic map!

Viking
07-21-2013, 08:10 AM
Agreed! It's great to see it develop like this. What is a wunder statte though?

Sapiento
07-21-2013, 10:01 AM
Agreed! It's great to see it develop like this. What is a wunder statte though?

The map is already finished.
A Wunderstätte is literally a 'Miraclesite' - a place a where a miracle or something similar happened and has therefore a special religious meaning.