PDA

View Full Version : Playing with trees in Gimp

torstan
06-26-2008, 10:17 AM
So I thought I'd join in the fun. Here's a first shot at a mid-scale forest in Gimp:

I have lots of things I want to improve about it, but I'll let everyone else throw their tuppence worth in here too.

jfrazierjr
06-26-2008, 11:22 AM
So I thought I'd join in the fun. Here's a first shot at a mid-scale forest in Gimp:

I have lots of things I want to improve about it, but I'll let everyone else throw their tuppence worth in here too.

Nice shape and spread! Might need a bit more "close/tight" texture, but I can't say for sure without a scale, to judge by. What size do you mean when you say mid-scale?

Joe

torstan
06-26-2008, 11:30 AM
Well, a scale where it is meaningful to resolve the individual trees on the outskirts. So I guess one of the outlying blobs is about 20-30 feet across.

jfrazierjr
06-26-2008, 11:34 AM
Well, a scale where it is meaningful to resolve the individual trees on the outskirts. So I guess one of the outlying blobs is about 20-30 feet across.

Ah... ok... If I had time to mess with your base, I would probably run a plasma filter at high turbulence for the bump map after masking if off. Perhaps even using a slur filter to get things with a slight "wind blown" pattern. Of course, I have no idea what I am talking about, just thinking of what might look interesting with the tiny amount of stuff I know about GIMP.

Joe

Karro
06-26-2008, 11:38 AM
They look great... Fuzzy--as in like, with fuzz and stuff, not blurry--but very forest-y.

torstan
06-26-2008, 12:00 PM
Okay, here's a slightly updated version.

torstan
06-26-2008, 12:02 PM
Or (slight tweak)

torstan
06-27-2008, 04:16 PM
Whilst doing this I remembered that I created an animated tree brush a while ago. Here is what it looks like in use (yes, it's unashamedly based on that rather nifty Narnia map that someone linked to recently):

And here's the brush.

I'll post this over on the resources forum as well for anyone that wants them.

Karro
06-28-2008, 07:35 PM
Here's a couple attempts... a slight variation on the method Dan Chops developed as a variation on RobA's original regional map style.

They're only subtly different.

GlassSphere
06-30-2008, 12:58 AM
I like the second one more. You have to be careful when using some sort of bump-texture/caliuquer thing as it's really easy to spot if its covering a large single area. The second one seems to have abit of a variety in the texture while the first has an unvaried overlay over the whole patch.

Karro
06-30-2008, 12:20 PM
I like the second one more. You have to be careful when using some sort of bump-texture/caliuquer thing as it's really easy to spot if its covering a large single area. The second one seems to have abit of a variety in the texture while the first has an unvaried overlay over the whole patch.

Interesting, thanks. I'll probably use some variation of the second going forward. I'm still learning how to do this the best way I can!