PDA

View Full Version : *** May Challenge Voting- Hexcrawl ***

arsheesh
06-02-2013, 02:42 AM
This month's challenge was to create an artistic hex map suitable for use in an RPG. Any genre of RPG is welcome, but each map should have some numbering system for the hexes, a map key, and should include some points of interest which could be explored by an adventuring party.

May Challenge Thumbs (http://www.cartographersguild.com/challenge_thumbs.php?type=regular)

Please vote for your favorite map(s), and be sure to be generous about repping those who participated in the challenge. The voting will last for 4 days and the winner will receive a golden compass and the praise, admiration and envy of his peers. May the best map win.

Diamond
06-02-2013, 04:29 AM
Carbus, Vyxxen, and mariuccij got my votes. All three fulfilled the stipulations of the challenge and were all great in their own ways. I wanted to vote for SK (badly) and bartmoss, but in the end I just didn't think either one was complete enough.

Schwarzkreuz
06-02-2013, 05:59 AM
I vote for Carbus, Diamond, and mariuccij. All are great entries. I think I try to complete the next challenge more.

vorropohaiah
06-02-2013, 06:21 AM
diamond gets my vote - nice, clear, well-done, and reminds me (in a good way) of old-school rpg maps

LindaJeanne
06-02-2013, 10:24 AM
What's the current rule for how many votes you get? It seems to have changed since the last time I was here :)

LindaJeanne
06-02-2013, 10:31 AM
I went with Pritior, by Carbus. Great detail when zoomed in (a lot of care went into making the hexes unique, so as not to look like they are copy-and-paste), but clean and simple when zoomed out.

Edit: I tried to give rep to all the excellent entries, but got several "need to spread rep around" messages. (I haven't been on in ages, so I don't remember who I repped last!)

jtougas
06-02-2013, 10:32 AM
I used two votes as I just couldn't decide between Schwarzkreuz and Diamond's excellent entries. All the entries were great and thanks for joining the challenge everyone. I'll be around with the Rep Cream Pies for all of you :)

- Max -
06-02-2013, 12:53 PM
My votes go to Carbus (very nice entry overall with nice hand-drawn elements) Mariuccij (nice deisgn and clever way to enter the challenge) and Diamond (very clean and consistent work with the good idea of doing a black and white entry! Some other pretty nice entries (Bratmoss Sci-Fi one is original but a bit too simple to my taste, SK's one is too empty to my taste and I'm not fully convicted by the overall consistency) Btw good job everyone! :)

Korash
06-02-2013, 01:00 PM
I also used two votes (Pritior and Isolated Valley) for the same reason as JT Both of these look great and have all kinds of info on them. Honorable mention to Diamond and Schwarzkreuz for beautiful maps, but I felt that there was something that was missing as a hexcrawl map.

AMXPariah
06-02-2013, 03:11 PM
Don't get me wrong, Pritior and The Isolated Valley are very cool, but Celonahr speaks to me, man. I'm attracted to its overall composition.

Saurus
06-02-2013, 06:27 PM
I also went for 'Pritior' by Carbus and 'An Isolated Valley' by mariuccij for pretty much the same reasons others have stated. Schwarzkreuz's and Diamond's maps came in very closly behind, but I felt like passing out four votes would delude the value.

Vyxxen
06-03-2013, 01:33 AM
Voted for Schwarzkreuz, Carbus and Mariuccij. All are beautiful works of art and I think I'll be heading for the Lite challenge next time :P

arsheesh
06-03-2013, 01:57 AM
Vyxxen I admire that you joined the Guild with a splash, diving right into the deep end with a bunch of seasoned and highly talented artists. You did quite well considering that fact, and ought to be proud of your achievement.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Schwarzkreuz
06-03-2013, 06:51 AM
For sure, this month is a stunning race again!

Ramah
06-03-2013, 10:18 AM
Though my favourite of all the maps is Diamond's Skyradan, I ended up voting for Mariuccij and Vyxxen, both of which I felt best accomplished a hexcrawl style map as I personally would expect it to be, which is, other than coastlines and rivers, the rest of the geography is accomplished through icon tilesets. I'm not sure if that is a flawed expectancy as I have little experience with old-style maps such as this, but that was how I decided to judge them.
Congratulations on all who entered - there are some real beauties again - and good luck to you all. :)

Vyxxen
06-03-2013, 01:56 PM
Yeah, I like diving in at the deep end without any flotation aids :P I don't expect to actually win any of these challenges any time soon. I'm just having fun making (or attempting to make) the maps :)

ravells
06-03-2013, 02:01 PM
I hope that Mariu and Carbus draw this. I'd love them both to have a gold medal. Not to take away from some of the other entries which are superb too (e.g. diamond's) but those two are just stunners in framing, presentation and design.

Bogie
06-03-2013, 02:37 PM
Yeah, I like diving in at the deep end without any flotation aids :P I don't expect to actually win any of these challenges any time soon. I'm just having fun making (or attempting to make) the maps :)

Yes indeed, that is the point! Play, Enjoy, Get Better!

Jacktannery
06-03-2013, 02:47 PM
They were all really brilliant this month, but I ended up voting for Mariuccij. Well done everyone.

Diamond
06-03-2013, 05:43 PM
I hope that Mariu and Carbus draw this. I'd love them both to have a gold medal.

I agree 100%.

I'm surprised I'm doing as well as I am, considering how rushed and last-minute mine was.

jtougas
06-03-2013, 05:49 PM
I agree 100%.

I'm surprised I'm doing as well as I am, considering how rushed and last-minute mine was.

Ah to be rushed and last minute and turn out something as excellent as your entry Diamond.... :)

arsheesh
06-06-2013, 04:50 PM
Congratulations to both Carbus and mariuccij for co-winning this month's challenge!

- Max -
06-06-2013, 05:46 PM
Congrats guys, well deserved! Very nice entries!

Schwarzkreuz
06-06-2013, 06:19 PM
Great, and finally a draw on the first place.

jtougas
06-06-2013, 06:19 PM
Congratulations to the winners !! And great entries all around :)

ravells
06-06-2013, 06:47 PM
Justice has been done! Congrats on your gold medals both!

Bogie
06-06-2013, 06:54 PM
Excellent! A well deserved Tie for first!!! Congrats to both winners.

mariuccij
06-06-2013, 09:00 PM
Thanks guys!! And congrats Carbus, your entry was awesome!

I truly enjoyed the challenge. A bunch of amazing artists around here!

Carbus
06-06-2013, 10:11 PM
Gratz to you too mariu! Loved your entry, hope one day we can see it in a boardgame! Also thank you all guys for your votes and support! :D

Diamond
06-06-2013, 11:30 PM
You guys did great! Congrats!

Johs
07-13-2013, 01:32 PM
Hey guys, this challenge is really up my ally in terms of interest, but I'm new to the forums and I have a slight issue : When I click "view May's Challenge Thumbnails" it routes me to the "current regular challenge thumbnails" for july.

How do I go back and browse the old submissions? or is it not possible after a certain timeframe?

Diamond
07-13-2013, 08:37 PM
Unfortunately, it's not possible after that month's contest is over to go back and view the entries from previous contests by viewing the thumbs; that only shows you the current contest. We do have a 'Hall of Fame' thread that is supposed to have the winners of each month's competition linked, but we have been sorely failing in that for the last few months (years?). I hope to correct that in the near future.

Also unfortunately, the Advanced Search option seems to be on the fritz and I don't know how to fix it.

As of now, the best thing I can tell you is to find the voting thread for the relevant month's contest (i.e. this thread). That'll include a list of all the entrants and the titles of their threads. From there you should be able to hunt them down individually.