PDA

View Full Version : My very first map

Wired
06-26-2008, 05:01 PM
This is pretty much my very first complete map ever. It's been done with CC3 in the what I think excellent Pete Felon style and shows the Free City of Myr and the surrounding area for a planned campaign in the "A Song of Ice and Fire" setting. Criticism and advice are welcome. :)

Ascension
06-26-2008, 06:00 PM
That's a pretty nice isometric style map, far better than anything ISO that I've ever done. Good job

Redrobes
06-26-2008, 06:26 PM
Good work Wired. Thats a real neat job for a first map.

NeonKnight
06-26-2008, 07:37 PM
Beautiful map, and an excellent rendition of the Pete Fenlon Style. Have you ever played around with the Sarah Wroot map-pack from the 2007 Annual?

jfrazierjr
06-26-2008, 07:49 PM
This is pretty much my very first complete map ever. It's been done with CC3 in the what I think excellent Pete Felon style and shows the Free City of Myr and the surrounding area for a planned campaign in the "A Song of Ice and Fire" setting. Criticism and advice are welcome. :)

Welcome to the Guild Wired! Very nice map. ISO mountains + ISO trees = everything right with the world. In my personal preference though, the trees are way to densely packed together,especially in the upper right of the map.

Anyway, post tons more! And if you need any inspiration or tips, be sure to check out the tutorial section.

Joe

Naeddyr
06-27-2008, 05:14 AM
That is a good first map indeed.

My quibble-of-the-day is... Uh... The cities are too red? Yeah, that. :D A bit indistinct, due to JPG-artefaction?

Wired
06-27-2008, 07:02 AM
In my personal preference though, the trees are way to densely packed together,especially in the upper right of the map.

JoeI agree with you there, but I'm not certain as to whether I can even change that. The CC3 toolset allows you to draw larger swaths of territory basically with one brush instead of modelling them all individually. In the normal CC3 style that works okay, but with the Pete Fenlon style it always looks this densely packed.

Anyway, post tons more! And if you need any inspiration or tips, be sure to check out the tutorial section.I surely will. Right now I'm working on a larger map showing all those Nine Free Cities, still with the Fenlon style.

Wired
06-27-2008, 07:04 AM
That is a good first map indeed.

My quibble-of-the-day is... Uh... The cities are too red? Yeah, that. :D A bit indistinct, due to JPG-artefaction?I used the default red for the Fenlon style. Maybe something closer to crimson would have been better, yes.

Wired
06-27-2008, 07:05 AM
Beautiful map, and an excellent rendition of the Pete Fenlon Style. Have you ever played around with the Sarah Wroot map-pack from the 2007 Annual?Not yet, I'm just getting started with the standard CC3 and the Pete Fenlon styles, but it looks interesting enough.

jfrazierjr
06-27-2008, 09:43 AM
I agree with you there, but I'm not certain as to whether I can even change that. The CC3 toolset allows you to draw larger swaths of territory basically with one brush instead of modelling them all individually. In the normal CC3 style that works okay, but with the Pete Fenlon style it always looks this densely packed.

I surely will. Right now I'm working on a larger map showing all those Nine Free Cities, still with the Fenlon style.

I have no idea how CC3 works. I know with Fractal Mappers "fill with symbols tool" you can set a density so that your items can get a bit of breathing room if you like. In any event, still a very nice map.

Joe

NeonKnight
06-27-2008, 10:40 AM
I've never played with the Fill with Symbol feature of CC3, but I am quite sure it has controls for density and what not.

Wired
06-27-2008, 10:58 AM
It's the default terrain feature. Might be I can change the property settings for it, though I have no idea what to look for. ENglish not being my first language probably doesn't help either...
For the short term since I bought the programme I've come to prefer manually drawn settings instead of the "default" features.