PDA

View Full Version : *** June Challenge - Mapping the Hex***

arsheesh
06-06-2013, 10:48 PM
THE CHALLENGE

Hi folks, this month we'll be doing a followup on last month's challenge. Whereas last month's challenge was to create an artistic hexmap with keyed points of interest, this month's challenge is to map one of the keyed points of interest featured in one of two winning entries from last month: Carbus's Pritior or mariuccij's An Isolated Valley (see the thumbs below). The style of map will vary based on the nature of the point of interest. It could be a battle map of a monster lair, a map of a lost dungeon or a map of a Elven forest city. There are quite a few possibilities to choose from. It may be that more than one person wants to map the same point of interest. That is perfectly fine. Each entry must contain each of the following:

1) A title (which should be the name of the point of interest);
2) The hex number of the map in which the point of interest is found;

In keeping with the hex-map mechanic, it is also suggested to include some keyed information about the point of interest (e.g. a description of the town, or a history of the dungeon), but this is strictly optional. EDIT: to clarify, this month's challenge need not be a hex map (though it may be if anyone decides to make one).

Title each new thread May 2013 Entry - <your title>

Precede each WIP image with the tag ### Latest WIP ###.

The challenge will end on or around the 30th of June, and the winner will receive a golden compass, and the envy of your peers.

REFERENCE MATERIAL

Carbus's Pritior:

mariuccij's The Journey:

Schwarzkreuz
06-06-2013, 11:52 PM
Ok, I am surprised its going so fast now with the Challenges. Hmmm I think I will choose something from Carbus Map

Diamond
06-07-2013, 01:30 AM
I think this might be the month I actually try and map a city...

arsheesh
06-07-2013, 01:35 AM
I think this might be the month I actually try and map a city...

That will definitely be worth seeing!

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

vorropohaiah
06-07-2013, 10:29 AM
do the maps have to be in a hex style or can they be 'normal' maps?

- Max -
06-07-2013, 10:39 AM
THE CHALLENGE

EDIT: to clarify, this month's challenge need not be a hex map (though it may be if anyone decides to make one).

You don't need to do a hex map ;)

vorropohaiah
06-07-2013, 10:43 AM
ok, my bad :)

jtougas
06-07-2013, 05:14 PM
Way to jump right on it Arsheesh. This is a very interesting idea..... Now if I could just find my Wand of Motivation..... :)

- Max -
06-07-2013, 06:04 PM
I wish I could find a Wand of Time...

arsheesh
06-07-2013, 06:58 PM

Yeah, me too.

Schwarzkreuz
06-07-2013, 08:01 PM
OR a Magicwandshop...

LonewandererD
06-08-2013, 10:08 AM
Hmmm this is an interesting one, will have to attempt this one though I doubt I'll win, too rusty

-D-

vorropohaiah
06-08-2013, 10:58 AM
Way to jump right on it Arsheesh. This is a very interesting idea..... Now if I could just find my Wand of Motivation..... :)

Yeah, me too.

OR a Magicwandshop...

id like a wand of labelling...

Pineapple
06-08-2013, 12:07 PM
Might be the first time I jump in too. I'm a total newb, but this challenge is really tugging at me.

Edit: So just to be clear, we have the license to invent whatever backstory/surrounding info we want (within reason of course) for the location we map?

mariuccij
06-08-2013, 01:29 PM
Hahah, seconded and thirded. ed.

=D

arsheesh
06-08-2013, 03:54 PM
Might be the first time I jump in too. I'm a total newb, but this challenge is really tugging at me.

Edit: So just to be clear, we have the license to invent whatever backstory/surrounding info we want (within reason of course) for the location we map?

Yup, that is correct.

Schwarzkreuz
06-09-2013, 02:30 PM
I am interested in City maps lately, so its nice to watch what will emerge this month.

lostatsea
06-16-2013, 07:32 PM
Lot of heavy hitters on this one should be some tough entries! That is of course if anyone finishes ! :P:P Sorry I'll go hide now !

arsheesh
06-29-2013, 03:50 PM
Several great entries remain unfinished and the challenge is set to end tomorrow. I'm willing to extend the deadline a day if it would help. Would love to see more completed entries this month.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Diamond
06-29-2013, 03:51 PM
That would REALLY help, if you extended the deadline. I'm on vacation starting today, so I can devote all the time I need to this, finally.

arsheesh
06-29-2013, 07:39 PM
Done. I'll extend the deadline to the 1st, and if needs be, possibly to the second (but no longer).

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

arsheesh
06-29-2013, 09:09 PM
The deadline has now been extended till the 2nd of June. For those who have already finished, this gives a couple extra days for any additional fine-tuning if desired. For those not finished, get to it.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

arsheesh
07-02-2013, 03:48 PM
Well, it is now the 2nd of June, day of the new deadline. This is a courtesy reminder that the entry posts will be locked and the polls will be opened in 1 hour.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Diamond
07-03-2013, 01:23 PM
*sigh* Not only did I not finish, but I couldn't get on the site for the last day and a half, so it wouldn't have mattered anyway... :(

arsheesh
07-03-2013, 02:17 PM
Yeah, I was looking forward to seeing the finished map too. Well if I recall, Ramah's Steamancer's Folly map begun as an unfinished challenge entry, and look how that turned out. Could be this is one worth continuing (though I'm sure some of the motivation to do so may be gone now that the challenge is over). Also, I've been having problems logging onto the site as well of late. Wonder what the issue is.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Diamond
07-03-2013, 04:01 PM
Well at the very least, I learned a lot doing this, so I don't consider it time wasted at any rate. :D

Bogie
07-03-2013, 06:37 PM
Also, I've been having problems logging onto the site as well of late. Wonder what the issue is.
Cheers,
-Arsheesh

I got the message that "the servers were busy" Last month we had a similar issue at Dundjinni Forums and it was caused by hundreds of spammers tying up our servers trying to get access.

arsheesh
07-03-2013, 06:45 PM
Huh, an unintended Denial of Service Attack by spammers, don't know if there is anything that can be done about that. Perhaps others more technically savvy here might have some ideas though.