PDA

View Full Version : June 2013 Entry: Greanos

Diamond
06-08-2013, 03:04 AM
For my entry, I decided to map out the capital of one of the lands in Carbus's awesome map. This will actually be my first serious attempt to map a city. Don't know if I'll finish, don't know how bad it'll suck, but it should be fun!

Diamond
06-08-2013, 03:45 AM
Very crude initial mockup:

### Latest WIP ###

vorropohaiah
06-08-2013, 03:52 AM
interesting... i was eyeing that same city myself! I'll probably go for another one nor (Marcadur, most likely)

arsheesh
06-08-2013, 04:59 AM
Nice. One initial thought though is this given that the capital is located at the divide of this river I would imagine that there would be docks on both sides of the city so as to facilitate trade from either direction. Then again, now that I look at Carbus's map, the only major urban ceter to the West of Greanos is the Necromancers Castle, and don't have any idea if the city would be on friendly terms with someone like that, so scratch that. At any rate, looking forward to seeing this fleshed out.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

- Max -
06-08-2013, 05:50 AM
Nice to see you enter the challenge with a city! Looking forward to seeing your progress on it :)

LonewandererD
06-08-2013, 09:46 AM
Diaomon, suck? I think that's a contradiction of terms. Willing to bet this map will still be a serious contender.

-D-

Diamond
06-08-2013, 04:30 PM
@arsheesh: That was my thought on the docks too, but on the other hand, there's probably all sorts of not-shown towns and villages that need to bring their produce to market, so I most likely will add some docks on that side as well. I think I need to expand the canvas a bit too.

@vorro: If you like that city then by all means map it! I think it would be cool to see two different takes on the same place.

@Max & LWD: Thank you guys!

Diamond
06-08-2013, 07:31 PM
### Latest WIP ###

mariuccij
06-15-2013, 01:36 AM
Nice layout on this one, looking forward to seeing more!

Diamond
06-22-2013, 07:56 PM
This is going MUCH slower than I expected; I honestly don't know if I'll finish.

### Latest WIP ###

arsheesh
06-22-2013, 10:02 PM
I know how you feel. Well, I hope you can manage it though, I'd like to see how this one turns out.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Diamond
06-22-2013, 10:53 PM
Started carving out some streets. Got the layout of the eastern docks done, part of 'Embassy Row', and a couple of parks.

### Latest WIP ###

Diamond
06-23-2013, 03:28 AM
Slow going... but it's starting to come together a little more how I'd envisioned it. Hopefully Carbus likes the coat of arms I did for the city. :D

### Latest WIP ###

arsheesh
06-23-2013, 03:38 AM
The coat of arms is a nice splash of color amidst the otherwise muted hues of this map. I can see why this would be slow going: it looks to be a fairly decent sized city. Well it's looking good at any rate.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

- Max -
06-23-2013, 07:47 AM
Looks good so far. The streets layout seems maybe a bit too straight for a fantasy city map ( at least to my tastes)

feanaaro
06-23-2013, 08:08 AM
Nice. I second, however, that the streets are a bit too straight. Also, if the circles along the walls are meant to be towers, they seem a bit too large in proportion.

Diamond
06-23-2013, 01:52 PM
@arsheesh: Thanks!

@Max: The areas I've got done so far are the newer, more planned areas of the city (at least that's how I've envisioned it). I've been dreading (and putting off starting) the rest, which will be much more chaotic/organic/twisty.

@feanaaro: That's a very good point about the towers. I hadn't even considered that. I'll redo them.

Diamond
06-23-2013, 03:03 PM
Better thickness on the walls/towers? (I kept the ones in the royal precinct at the southern tip of the city the same; I figured they'd probably be built more massive/imposing.)

### Latest WIP ###