PDA

View Full Version : A medieval harbour town

Chlodowech
06-09-2013, 02:46 PM
I'm working on a drawing of a small merchant's town. Compared to many other towns that i've seen here, this wouldn't be more than a small village. It has no city wall (just a ditch with three gates built of stone; one of them has already been finished), and most of the houses are small and built of timber. There are few stone buildings; the church (that is actually huge-sized for the size of the town), a guildhall, and few merchants' houses.

The town has been founded at a strategic location next to a strait, but it has no real harbour, so the freight has to be transferred to small boats that are pulled onto the beach.

PS: The town will be finished soon.

Diamond
06-09-2013, 03:01 PM
Looks really good so far. Man, I wish I had the talent (and perseverance) to do these ISO maps...

Schwarzkreuz
06-09-2013, 03:10 PM
Indeed. I don't even know where to start.
Lately have been some exellent Iso done.

Also i like your idea to render a realistic town instead of something megalomanical.

Chlodowech
06-09-2013, 03:38 PM
Some more details...

arsheesh
06-09-2013, 04:26 PM
Welcome to the Guild Chlodowech! This is already looking very promising. I'll be keeping my eye on this.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

TheHoarseWhisperer
06-09-2013, 08:34 PM
Definitely a lot of promise in this map. I like the very historical-looking burgage plots that you've added; gives a realistic extra touch. I'll also be interested in how you take this one.

jbgibson
06-09-2013, 09:50 PM
Looks good, and would deserve a bit of rep just for giving us something interesting right in your first post, let alone the fact that I like what you are doing with it.

Chlodowech
06-11-2013, 01:09 PM
The town has been finished:

Now, i need to draw the countryside around it, and a river to the left, and the sea...

I just have one question: Should i draw some houses outside the wall, too, or possibly a hospital with another small church? I don't know...

Another question: Is it possible to edit the thread itself, because this should be a WIP thread.

arsheesh
06-11-2013, 08:33 PM
This is lovely!

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Viking
06-12-2013, 12:03 AM
I agree with the others. This map is starting to look great :) I was looking for medieval harbour reference just a few weeks ago and could hardly find what I was looking for!! :(

Chlodowech
06-14-2013, 04:22 PM

I've finished the roofs, and added some houses and a hospital outside the town's ditch, too. I also began drawing some part of the nature in and around the town; some trees, bushes etc.

Chlodowech
06-19-2013, 04:46 PM
I made a detailed drawing of a 13th century merchant's house similar to the bigger ones at my harbour town.

Here it is:

Korash
06-20-2013, 12:51 PM
I like the sectional view but I do have a few pointers about it...Firstly, I would extend the lifting bar/hoist so that there is a bit more room between the end and the platforms that the cargo is to clear. Secondly, No stairs? If this is a house with storage I am sure that the merchant will not have his family climbing stairs all the time. Maybe the workers in the higher floors, but not him and his family.

Chlodowech
06-20-2013, 02:51 PM
This is essentially a storage building with 2 or 3 chambers for the merchant and his family. These rooms are all found at the second floor. The ground floor was not used because of flooding by the sea that is right in front of the house. The first floor has only 1 small window, and therefore the rooms are very dark. At the second floor, whcih was also used for storage, there are 2 little rooms which were kind of 'wooden boxes', allowing a bit of separation from the goods. The sleeping chamber is the big room at the back part of this storey. The third and fourth floor were used only for storage.

Why no stairs but just ladders?

Stairs would occupy much of the small-sized floor space, and hence the goods were transported by the lift, there was no reason for a greedy merchant to build stairs.
Also, the only stone walls of the building are the outside walls and the one between the front and the back part. Stairs would need a seperate staircase which would have been quite expensive (and complicated) to build.

(I'm sorry if my English is bad...)

Megahercio
07-03-2013, 10:13 PM
I like it. I find the way to grow the space very original and the houses well done.

Chlodowech
07-05-2013, 11:51 AM
Some new stuff...

I coloured some buildings (with Photoshop Elements) just to see how it looks:

And some decoration, also coloured...