PDA

View Full Version : WIP - Region map Commission

Obbehobbe
06-11-2013, 05:41 AM
Hello folks!

I'am currently working on a regional map for a swedish RPG company "Järnringen" and thought I could keep you updated on the progress. Here is what I have at the moment. This is only the right corner of the map. The end map will be in A2 format.
The map is supposed to have a pale, raw style, and the forest shall be lush, deep and intimidating. The region is inspired by northern, savage, celtic, barbarians and such.
What do you think?

Järnringen
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jarnringen?fref=ts
Homepage: Järnringen (http://www.jarnringen.com/)

feanaaro
06-11-2013, 06:25 AM
Is it hand-drawn and then digitally edited, or all digital?
Very nice anyway, have rep.

Obbehobbe
06-11-2013, 06:53 AM
The mountains are hand-drawn then edited with Photoshop and ArtRage Studio. Rest is digital except the small icons (the hut and the stones). :)
Thank you!

Schwarzkreuz
06-11-2013, 07:35 AM
You got my rep too. Clever way of placing forests only with merging treeshapes and a black stroke! Havent seen such as far as I remember. (Rep&Like)

- Max -
06-11-2013, 08:05 AM
Very nice job so far. Though the source of trollfallel looks a bit odd and the road overlaps a mountain. Just little details, the map looks very good :)

Obbehobbe
06-11-2013, 10:00 AM
Thanks! :)

Schwarzkreuz: The forest is made with a small tree-brush with scatter and shape dynamics. Then sprayed/painted. To this i have several effects and textures.
-Max-: Road and river is just for the show, but I did miss that one, hehe. Thanks for the reply :)

- Max -
06-11-2013, 10:05 AM
No problem :) Looking forward to see how it will progress

Obbehobbe
06-13-2013, 10:39 AM
Update: A little step back. Now when I got the style my next move is to make the actual map. Here it is with the full mountains.

1. I draw the mountains by hand.
2. Shade it on the right side of each individual mnt.
3. Shade it even more on the right side of the right side.
4. Shade the left side
5. Scan the mountains
6. In Photoshop, I draw a little underline under each individual mountain to enclose it, then I use the magic wand tool to select all the mountains
7. Fill a new layer with a color
8. Goes back to hand and shade the ground around the base of the mountains.
9. Scan
10. Photoshop, select the fill layer and starts to put a thin highlight on a new layer.
11. Export and Import into ArtRage Pro
12. Highlight each mountain side with Oil-Brush
13. Shade each mountain base with Oil-Brush
14. Export and Import layers to Photoshop
15. Well, now we got mountains! :)

I suppose there is an easier way, but this is how I do it! :)

Diamond
06-13-2013, 03:24 PM
That sounds... incredibly complicated, but there's no doubt the result is fantastic.

Obbehobbe
06-13-2013, 06:36 PM
"That sounds... incredibly complicated, but there's no doubt the result is fantastic."

Haha, I think I'll steal that sentence and use it in my signature if it's ok with you? :)

Anyway - another update. Working on the rivers. The bottom-right rivers is highlighted and I've tried to add some kind of foam to them.

Diamond
06-13-2013, 07:36 PM
lol, go for it. :D

Obbehobbe
06-16-2013, 07:53 AM
Update!

Added forest and tweaked the colors and hue a little. Still many details left.
Comments? Be evil! :)

aminowrimo
06-16-2013, 02:13 PM
This looks fantastic! I love the mountains and the way you did the lakes and rivers.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what to say beyond, "WOW."

Obbehobbe
06-25-2013, 05:12 PM
I'am messing around with another style on the forest. What do you think?

- Max -
06-25-2013, 05:24 PM
I see the inspiration you got :D Pretty nice, I like them. Though the trees line is a bit too regular (especially on the long ones) Also I assume you put a digital dropshadow on it? not very keen of it, I prefer more natural hand drawn shadow (more time consuming but more pretty, at least to my tastes ;) )

Obbehobbe
06-26-2013, 03:07 AM
I don't know how I can avoid the regular long treelines... any ideas? :/

- Max -
06-26-2013, 05:47 AM
Maybe stick irregularly more individual trees very close to the forest lines lile you did on some parts?

Obbehobbe
06-26-2013, 05:51 AM
Thank you for the critique Max! Something like this? And yes, I got inspired by your Ereborn map. :)

- Max -
06-26-2013, 06:53 AM
Yea looks a bit better. And no problem, critics and comments always keep motivated ;)

Obbehobbe
06-27-2013, 12:55 PM
Update: I'm trying to make a border here. Still going to add more trees close to the rivers to make the treeline seem much more irregular.

- Max -
06-27-2013, 01:07 PM
The noisy effect on the black parts looks maybe a bit too marked?

Obbehobbe
09-02-2013, 10:31 AM
Hi again! Need to continue on this one. Now I try do make some icons. Have remade the forest aswell and still trying to get the right tone and hue.

Obbehobbe
09-15-2013, 05:55 AM
I've added some temporary shields that I found on the internet. I will replace them later with some self made ones. I've added some fog around the mountains, and a very early border just to get the feel.
Please comment on anything - be evil! :)

- Max -
09-15-2013, 06:50 AM
I dig that border! And the fog is pretty well done aswell :) keep up the good job!

Lingon
09-15-2013, 10:23 AM
be evil!
You suck!

Just kidding, it looks awesome. I really like the feel of being imprisoned by the dark mountains and forests it gives… well, I don't like it, but it's very well done :D That said, I think the cities/villages that sit close to forests or mountains are a bit too dark, they almost look camouflaged. Maybe brightening them slightly would look nice?

Obbehobbe
09-15-2013, 11:18 AM
Thanks both!

Lingon: That's exactly the feeling I want the map to have. Intimidating, dark and brooding. I think I'll add some more fog around the mountains and darken the forest a bit. I completely agree with you about the villages/cities. I'm not sure what to do, because on the other hand I want them to be a bit camouflaged - you know, if you look at the map you'll discover new things that you don't really see the first time. But some of them need to be more clear, like Yndaros the capital. I'll work on it, thanks :)

Obbehobbe
10-11-2013, 05:58 AM
Slow progress, but progress! :)

Decided to drop the shields and go for some colored icons instead. More names and icons aswell! :)
What do you think?

Clercon
10-11-2013, 09:44 AM
This is really looking great Obbehobbe! Looking forward to see when it is done.

galdre
10-11-2013, 11:32 AM
Where did the border go? I quite liked that.

Looks really good. Love those misty mountains

Ilanthar
10-11-2013, 12:59 PM
Wow, that's an excellent job! I'm eager to see it at the end.
I like your cities icons, but on your last one, the bright colors make them less "intimidating and dark than before" to me.

Coriolis
10-11-2013, 09:26 PM
Shields vs icons is a tough call. Fantasy heraldry can be a nice way of instilling some character to the political powers depicted, but shields tend to obscure terrain, and may crowd out other important features. You have enough empty space to put them in as part of your regional markings, but honestly, it looks fine without them.

Obbehobbe
10-12-2013, 03:17 AM
The border will be back, but the shields won't since they didn't want them! :)
Thanks all for the comments and the rep. The next update will probably be the whole map

- Max -
10-12-2013, 07:25 AM
Nice icons, keep up the good job!

tinyaltar
10-13-2013, 09:01 AM
This is exceptional. I like the way the forests and mountains interact with one another (how they are not "independent" of one another), and the rivers are quite masterful as well. I also enjoy the fact that the city icons are all a little bit different. The lack of repetition makes it seem quite organic and fluid. An interesting mix here between outline (to appear as drawing) and painterly styles. Keep up the great work!

MARCVS PVLLO
06-21-2014, 04:47 AM
Really nice. I get a feel of John Bauer's style of illustrating. I played lots of pen-and-paper RPG's back home in Sweden. What kinda system is 'Järnringen'?