PDA

View Full Version : Deeston and Surrounds

torstan
06-28-2008, 10:22 AM
Okay, so my first regional map here (I think). I'm running a short intro to 4d for my players and I thought I'd pull my finger out and do some pretty maps. On the other hand, the game's on Tuesday, so I've got a lot to get through before then. Here's the rough of the regional map - obviously if this can fit into the CWBP anywhere I'm more than happy to volunteer it.

Note, when I say rough, I really mean it! C&C appreciated at any point during this. I'm going to do it top down on a parchment background as with a fair amount of recent stuff. I haven't tried a regional map in this style yet and I'm interested to see how it might turn out.

NeonKnight
06-28-2008, 11:29 AM
Deeston & Deestan? You using my city there Torstan ;)?

torstan
06-28-2008, 11:42 AM
Damn. I always get that when I come up with names. 'Hmmm, that sounds goo - almost familiar. I'll use that then - and then figure out where it comes from. I'll change it :) Anyone got an area like this in CBWP that might supply me with a name? If you can place it and name it, you can have it (within reasonable limits on the name...)

delgondahntelius
06-28-2008, 04:48 PM
omg.. your handwriting is almost as atrocious as mine :D

SCALE my brother.. scale....

NeonKnight
06-28-2008, 05:54 PM
Don't need to change it. I just thought that was kinda funny :)

torstan
06-28-2008, 06:08 PM
Some progress on this.

The elevation dodge/brun is still very rough and I haven't figured out a way to do line art on the mountains yet. Also note that there are no names :) Forests still need lots of work too. A way to go yet, but this is the latest.

torstan
06-28-2008, 06:24 PM
Mountain test:

Any preferences between the two types of mountain? Can't really nail this at the moment and it is irritating me. I'll pick this one up again tomorrow.

delgondahntelius
06-28-2008, 08:53 PM
The upper mountain... with the darker accents.... coincidently ... this is how I used to make all my mountains for many years.... I like it :)

oh ... and .... SCALE?!? :D

jfrazierjr
06-28-2008, 09:36 PM
Mountain test:

Any preferences between the two types of mountain? Can't really nail this at the moment and it is irritating me. I'll pick this one up again tomorrow.

The upper mountain... with the darker accents.... coincidently ... this is how I used to make all my mountains for many years.... I like it :)

oh ... and .... SCALE?!? :D

Hmmm... I wonder how it would look if you put the ridge lines like on the upper one over top of the lower one, and then blurred/smudged the borders(smudge better IMO) to get it to blend the white with the parchment background.....

FYI, this is a great map.. I love your style with the hand drawn look, I just wish I could do that...
Joe

Ascension
06-28-2008, 10:49 PM
Agreed, especially love that water color look.

torstan
06-29-2008, 06:30 AM
Okay, made some decisions on the moutains. The line art wil now look like this:

Thanks for the compliments. I like the style too, but is still needs tweaking. I thought I'd play with a different hand-drawn style to all the iso-mountains we've been seing recently, but now I understand why people do iso mountains - much quicker to draw :)

delgondahntelius
06-29-2008, 06:46 AM
I first started drawing those kinds of mountains because of dragonlance maps ... if you ever seen any of those... that was why I originally started drawing them in that fashion because it looked different and cool and I wanted to show off to the ladies... :D

as a maybe, you might try a bit of shading from the ridge down to sort of show some height and elevation .... just a thought tho :) it looks good like that

torstan
06-29-2008, 08:49 AM
Had a look at the DL maps - I see what you mean.

Okay, lots of progress here. Added a second dodge/burn layer to get more detail on the mountains. Also added snow and grass and darkened the sea.

delgondahntelius
06-29-2008, 09:16 AM
oh ya... the mountains really show ... mountains now ... coming together great now

Redrobes
06-29-2008, 09:18 AM
Looks very sweet. Reminds me of some of the Topo Maps of New Zealand. Try this link

http://www.linz.govt.nz/core/topography/aerialandorthophotos/nztmorthophotos/bq32/index.html

Try the saving to disk the PartB Hi-Res-JPG and look at the bottom left peninsula.

torstan
06-29-2008, 09:47 AM
That's a brilliant image. I'd already been to the google maps satellite pics of Norway and Sweden fjord hunting, but forgot about NZ. Daft considering that the NZ fjords are the ones I've actually been to.

torstan
06-29-2008, 10:37 AM
Okay, detailing and dodge/burn on the forests as well as a little more colour adjustment - this time to the grassy areas:

torstan
06-29-2008, 12:30 PM
And labelling is done! I think this one's finished now. On to the other maps...

Note: name is now Dreeston :)

delgondahntelius
06-29-2008, 02:00 PM
I like that alot ... nice coloring... very nice scale :D lol

You are a machine brother... How do you pump them out sooo fast :) lol

torstan
06-29-2008, 02:26 PM
Quiet weekend - and the threat of a game on Wednesday night that this map (and indeed the rest of the maps!) needs to be done for....

Thanks for the compliment. I'm very happy with how it turned out - especially the mountains.

Torq
06-29-2008, 04:54 PM
I just wanted to second the compliment torstan. Great map with your own style and feel thats both artistic and clear in what it conveys. A combination much sought after but seldom achieved. Well done.

Torq

Karro
06-30-2008, 12:19 PM
Thirds! Great map Torstan!

NeonKnight
06-30-2008, 01:33 PM
I concur, Beautifully wrought., SImply Beuatiful.

ravells
06-30-2008, 05:58 PM
Gorgeous! I love every one of your maps - and they have your individual style stamped all over them.