PDA

View Full Version : Free mapping software

Revuscuan
06-16-2013, 03:25 PM
I am currently working on the main culture of my world, but I made the maps in Paint. Knowing that Paint is very basic and because I feel the pinch, I am looking for free software to create my maps properly. Do you know such programs? Thanks in advance.

Revuscuan

Korash
06-18-2013, 01:18 AM
If you are looking for decent free software that you can use for creating maps, I am not too sure you can beat Gimp and Inkscape. These are the open source versions of Photoshop and Illustrator respectively. I know we have some tutorials for Inkscape and Gimp is very well supported in our Tutorials forum. I also suggest that you start WIPs (Work In Progress) for any maps that you are working on. You should get a lot of help through the C&C that the Guild can provide.

Hidden Asbestos
06-18-2013, 03:38 AM
Krita (http://krita.org/) is also getting a lot of attention lately, although finding a Windows download took far too much effort. It's free, cross platform and open source - and it feels a bit more Photoshop-like than GIMP which may be a plus or a minus in your book.

Revuscuan
06-18-2013, 02:18 PM
Thanks, I will try to upload an example of my Paint map of Morania, the now most detailed region, if you don't mind.

Adjustment : Uploaded in WIP thread