PDA

View Full Version : WIP The savage lands of Oraven

- Max -
06-17-2013, 03:11 PM
Hey all,

After thinking of doing some more painted style map for a long time, I've decided to give it a try on a new WIP. It's a first experiment and I don't fully know where I'm going with this but well, here's what I got so far on mountains range. If it's goind well, map's size will be 12"x18"

Comments are welcome

Eilathen
06-17-2013, 04:02 PM
Aha, next project ;) I was already wondering what happened to you :D
Looks interesting...hope to see more soon.

- Max -
06-17-2013, 04:37 PM
Thanks :) Ah well you probably noticed I was quite busy with Yphyrion lately :D along with some commis aswell.

Viking
06-17-2013, 05:14 PM
I look forward to watching this one Max! :D I hope Kesh will be finished soon too lol. :) What DPI will you be creating this map at?

- Max -
06-17-2013, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the support Viking :) Yea I'll have to finish Kesh too, that's right but after having worked on several other maps lately, I feel the need to start a new project. I don't want to rush on Kesh just to make it done :D. This map will be 300 DPi res.

Viking
06-17-2013, 05:24 PM
Ah cool :)
I know the feeling. For my Skenth map I want to print it off and don't want to call it done till I'm happy with it either.

- Max -
06-17-2013, 05:39 PM
Yep a rushed map is never a good map :D

- Max -
06-17-2013, 08:44 PM
Testing out some forests

arsheesh
06-17-2013, 08:51 PM
Max that looks fantastic! Is this at full resolution? The trees look great but they are also a bit small and difficult to see. Looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

- Max -
06-17-2013, 09:07 PM
Thanks much Arsheesh :) Yes it's full resolution, I tried to build forests with quite proper scale regarding mountains size :/ Maybe with a little bit more highlights (not sure that changes that much :D )?

Lezales
06-18-2013, 01:17 AM
Absolutely stunning, I love those forests ! Keep up the good work Max ! Did you use any filter to give them that washed look ?

- Max -
06-18-2013, 01:41 PM
Thanks Lezales :) Those forests came out in some experiments of a weird combination of filters and overpainting on some forests patterns of my own.

- Max -
06-18-2013, 05:43 PM
Slowly progressing...Added more forests, mountains and rivers and also started to work on lands colors.

Lezales
06-18-2013, 08:02 PM
I really like this style. Is this entirely done in photoshop ?

Viking
06-18-2013, 11:00 PM
I dig the style too Max. Did you do the forest with a custom brush?

- Max -
06-19-2013, 07:21 AM
Thanks for the support guys!
@ Lezales : yes it's entirely done with PS
@ Viking :

Those forests came out in some experiments of a weird combination of filters and overpainting on some forests patterns of my own.
Then I use those ones as a new pattern and then do highlights with a custom brush yea.

Eilathen
06-19-2013, 02:06 PM
This is coming along nicely, Max! Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
Any chance for a higher res.? I'd like to take a closer look at the forests.

If i can, i'll rep. you.

- Max -
06-19-2013, 03:24 PM
Thanks Eilathen, glad you like it :) As for resolution, it is actually full res. This is only a part of a larger map but I wanted to keep it rather large zoomed out map as a first experiment in this style.

aminowrimo
06-19-2013, 06:51 PM
Looking at those mountains makes me happy. They're absolutely stunning. (I like the forests too, and the rivers, but the mountains are my favorite.)

ravells
06-19-2013, 07:03 PM
The individual forest tree size to the mountain size really rocks. It gives the map an epic feel. Great stuff!

- Max -
06-20-2013, 03:35 AM
Thanks much Anminowrimo and Ravells!

- Max -
06-24-2013, 02:23 PM
Some progress on the map. Since I'm not fully satisified with the color work on it, I slightly added a redish desaturated tone on the second version. Thought it would make it less "classical" and give it kind of darker and wilder touch on it. Thoughts anyone?

55627 55628

Schwarzkreuz
06-24-2013, 04:18 PM
I prefer the red version, the colors seems to Be better balanced but try to use it less ob the forests than in the Land

Chashio
06-24-2013, 04:31 PM
Thoughts? The color balance is a great deal easier to look at with the red tone. At least on my screen. The green version makes me nauseous, but that is likely just me. :) Color balance aside, the map is nice.

- Max -
06-24-2013, 04:51 PM
Yea that's what I thought. I was kinda fed up with the greeny one. Alright, let's go for red tone. Thanks for the comments guys!

Obbehobbe
06-24-2013, 07:17 PM
This is just a matter of taste. Forest is really perfect. Montains are great. The coastline looks like it have gone trough some Photoshop filter effect. And the white goo on the rivers looks unfinished or too much. But hey, the map is awesome. I would have bought it! Really nice with the smoke coming out from the volcanoes! Maybe add tiny waves on the water with white foam to blend with the rivers better?

- Max -
06-24-2013, 07:23 PM
Thanks Obbehobbe :) Eh well it's still a WIP with a lot to do on it. I haven't really worked on coastline and water yet. Though rivers were done to my eyes, I wanted to give them a bit of a rough look.

Viking
06-26-2013, 09:04 PM
I could've sworn I responded to this! Or maybe it was during a time recently when the server was having problems I don't know. I like the map with the red hue and I think it is going extremely well so far!

Eilathen
06-27-2013, 08:48 AM
Heh...funny. If i look at the little pictures in your post, i like the left one better (the green version) ... but to my surprise, when i clicked on the two maps to look at them in greater detail, the red one looked better. So, to sum up: i have to agree with SK and Chashio.

- Max -
06-27-2013, 11:24 AM
Seems that everyone would go with the red hue one. I went further on the map with this one, hopefully I'll post an update soon :)

Obbehobbe
06-27-2013, 12:47 PM
Looking forward to it! :)

- Max -
06-28-2013, 04:57 AM
Updated : while waiting to the finished upper part of the map, I worked on coastlines and labels.

Eilathen
06-28-2013, 05:11 AM
The forests are absolutely fantastic! Well done, Max!

Is there more of this world? I'd like to see it (but you already know that i am the "world-map guy", right?! ;) :D ).

- Max -
06-28-2013, 05:15 AM
Thanks Eilathen! Well this map was rather a style experiment so there's nothing that much more, you're currently looking 2/3 of the map. I have though plenty of room to expand the map on north, east, south and west so maybe one day... ;)

Eilathen
06-28-2013, 06:20 AM
So, that leaves us with 1/3 that you haven't shown us yet... let's do it...you know you want to ;)

Yeah, i know what "one day" means...it's a fancy "never" ;) :P

On a more serious note: I'd like to see more of it...and history on top. On the other hand, if this was a style experiment, you could also do another world map in this style...that'd also be great :D

Ok ok...i shut up now ^^

- Max -
06-28-2013, 06:35 AM
So, that leaves us with 1/3 that you haven't shown us yet... let's do it...you know you want to ;)

I'm working on it, I'm working on it ;)

On a more serious note: I'd like to see more of it...and history on top. On the other hand, if this was a style experiment, you could also do another world map in this style...that'd also be great :D

Like I said already, I'm not really a worldbuilder. I like the idea that people imagine some parts of their own stories while looking at my maps. Btw I imagined oraven as hard living and wild barbarians lands with only a few populating areas, mostly located in small towns.
A world map in this style would indeed be cool. Maybe my next project? or for a commission? I'll think about that, I have a lot of ideas/current works running ;)

Obbehobbe
06-28-2013, 07:22 AM
Really nice work! Love the coastlines, and the forest of course :)

- Max -
06-28-2013, 03:09 PM
Thanks again Obbehobbe :) New update with the missing upper part of the map.

Eilathen
06-28-2013, 05:39 PM
Any chance you can put them together for one glorious map (the map already beckons me to use it for an rpg ^^ )?

- Max -
06-28-2013, 05:44 PM
Ask and you shall receive ;)

Also since I'm pretty satisfied with this experiment, I might expand the map to make a larger one at the end. Thinking about it ;)

Viking
06-29-2013, 12:15 AM
Max I have to give you credit for your cheery naming themes with this map - at least in the south. I imagine few venture there for vacations. :p The map looks fantastic by the way!

Lingon
06-29-2013, 03:02 AM
This has to be the best map I've seen from you, Max! And all your maps are awesome, so, yeah :) The mountains and forests are absolutely brilliant.

Eilathen
06-29-2013, 09:20 AM
Ask and you shall receive ;)

Yay! Thanks, Max :)

Also since I'm pretty satisfied with this experiment, I might expand the map to make a larger one at the end. Thinking about it ;)

Sounds good to me!
Cool stuff, feels like christmas ;)

Congrats on this very effective and beautiful style.
Maybe experiment with some different mountains (don't touch the forests...they're pefect...no, really!). Not that these mountains are bad, mind you...it's just that you have so many different mountains already (and maybe more are on the way?! ;) ) and who knows, some of them might fit the rest of this new style even better (for example, eventough i like them, i think the mountains do not form ranges very naturally...if that makes sense).

Ramah
06-29-2013, 10:17 AM
Looks great, Max. :)

Unlike Eilathen I don't think you should touch the mountains at all. I think they fit the style perfectly.

- Max -
06-29-2013, 12:10 PM
Thanks much guys :) I get what you mean about mountains Eilathen, I could add more connecting mountains in the ranges but I didn't want to overcrow the ranges which would make the labels harder to read, especially on colors so ye I think I'll stick to what I have now ;)

Eld
06-29-2013, 12:38 PM
I truly have to say that this map shows how limited my own skills are.
It's really beautiful, can't say what to mention first?
The nicely fitting colours with their smooth gradient where they change to another colour, the easily readable labels, the astonishing texture of the forests or ...
I simply love it. :D

Yet still I would love this work even more fiercely if you would add roads between the cities in the shape of a broken line.

- Max -
06-29-2013, 03:45 PM
Thanks much Eld, glad you like it :) I decided to do not add roads since I wanted to keep the place rather wild and not that much civilized and explorated, with only small towns here and there (at the first I wanted to label only a few areas, the others left unexplorated and obviously with no names given). I might change my mind when expanding the map...or not :D

Melvin
06-29-2013, 06:06 PM
It's a shame there's only a like button, because this is looking so great there should be a love button. It looks amazing! The colours, the coastline, the forest, the mountains, and the Bulwark! It all fits so well together. Great job!

Regards,
Melvin

arsheesh
06-29-2013, 08:58 PM
It's a shame there's only a like button, because this is looking so great there should be a love button. It looks amazing! The colours, the coastline, the forest, the mountains, and the Bulwark! It all fits so well together. Great job!

Regards,
Melvin

Well, you could always "rep" -Max- or give the thread a 5 star rating... just a couple more options for you.

- Max -
06-30-2013, 05:12 PM
Thanks much Melvin, glad you like it :)

Gan
07-01-2013, 05:09 AM
Except for the font, that - to me - seems too "straight" or doesn't fit well, everything is wonderful
The forests are awesome, and the mountains are clear, easy and the colors are extraordinary

PS: I just realized there are waterfalls too, nice touch of class

- Max -
07-01-2013, 05:22 AM
Thanks much Gan :) About the fonts I didn't pick some fancy fonts that are most of the time not very legible especially on colored maps so yes I went to a straight/legible one.

- Max -
07-05-2013, 09:00 PM
Since I don't know when I'll have time to work on an expanded map of Oraven, I've decided to make this one a finished map here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/finished-maps/23922-oraven-savage-lands-fantasy-map.html#post220026). Thanks all for the support and the comments, that's always much appreciated! :)