PDA

View Full Version : Real world island map WIP

krostatina
06-18-2013, 07:21 AM
Introduction: My ex-sailor, all thing sea-lover dad will be 60 next december. We're going to pay for an holyday for him, but I was looking for some sort of keepsake for him. Some days ago, browsing last month challenge maps, I had a lightbulb moment. I'll try and draw him a map of our home island!

The work so far: For the moment I only capured the maps from googlemap at a decent zoom, and pasted them togheter on GIMP. This will be the base I plan to trace on paper. I'd like to do most of the work by hand and go back to GIMP only for the final colouring and labelling. I know my dad will appreciate even if it turns out to be a mess, but I'd like to end up with something at least decent. Wish me good luck :)

Diamond
06-18-2013, 08:48 PM
That's a wonderful idea, and I'm sure your dad will love it. Good luck!

Lezales
06-18-2013, 09:11 PM
Yes, keep us updated !

Viking
06-18-2013, 10:59 PM
Yes, keep us updated !

Yes, please do! :) This is a very neat idea and I'm sure he will appreciate your effort!

krostatina
06-20-2013, 12:56 PM
Thank you, I'm about to go there on holiday, so I won't work on the actual map for a while, but I was thinking about choosing 60 of his favourite places to be featured on the map. Things such a favourite beach, a viewpoint or a fishing spot. I'll silently work on planning this while there ;)
As for the style I think I'll to stick to a black and white over parchment background.