PDA

View Full Version : *** June/July Lite Challenge: Alternate History ***

Diamond
06-18-2013, 08:19 PM
This month's Lite Challenge is to create a map based on the concept of alternate history. For those that aren't familiar with the idea, here's a wiki entry on it: Alternate history - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternate_history) I can't imagine there's gonna be too many folks on a site like this that don't have at least some passing familiarity with it, but hey, you never know. :D

Let your imaginations roam free this month. Your entry can be anything from a world map to a regional or city map, a deck plan of an alternate history universe vessel, a map of an event (a battle, the spread of some alt-Black Plague, the spread of a religion, whatever), pretty much anything you can come up with as long as it's related to an alternate history concept in some way. There's no need to specify what the turning point/point of departure for your alternate history is, but you will be awarded a virtual cookie if you do. My choice of flavor.

Title each new thread June/July Lite Entry - <your title>

Precede each WIP image with the tag ### Latest WIP ###.

The challenge will end on or around the 13th of July, and the winner will receive a superb, shiny, silver compass.

Thurlor
06-19-2013, 06:07 AM
Been out of the mapping game for a while now (too busy moving house and getting settled into my new location) and this seems like the perfect theme to draw me back.

A couple of questions regarding the theme;
* As most of the world has already been mapped, must it be remapped or can one use real-world maps for an 'underlay'? An Alternate Earth will have (mostly) the same geography as this Earth and only that which is artificial will differ.
* When can it be set? Altenrnate Past, Present or Future?

- Max -
06-19-2013, 07:23 AM
Very interesting challenge theme.

Diamond
06-19-2013, 02:19 PM
Been out of the mapping game for a while now (too busy moving house and getting settled into my new location) and this seems like the perfect theme to draw me back.
Welcome back!

A couple of questions regarding the theme;
* As most of the world has already been mapped, must it be remapped or can one use real-world maps for an 'underlay'? An Alternate Earth will have (mostly) the same geography as this Earth and only that which is artificial will differ.
Not sure I understand what you're asking here. Do you mean if you map a portion of the world, can you use a base map to trace off of? Of course! If you could draw a real world map freehand you'd be my hero. :D

* When can it be set? Altenrnate Past, Present or Future?
Any time at all. Let your imagination run free, young grasshopper.

Lingon
06-19-2013, 02:52 PM
Hmm, I have some ideas that would fit in this theme… Now that I've begun entering challenges I'll never finish my other projects!

Diamond
06-19-2013, 08:26 PM
Muahahaha, our nefarious plan is a success! :D

waldronate
06-19-2013, 09:01 PM
It looks like the May/June entries are still hanging around in the Current Challenge space. They probably ought to wander off into a historical context...

jbgibson
06-19-2013, 09:55 PM
That's OK, Waldronate - they belong to the alternate Guild where this is being started on the 18th of MAY.

I'm all over this one... if I can make up my mind just ONE thing to what-if. If you folks see multiple entries from jbgibson, the first is legit and the others are alternate-me's and are illicit in the present context.

Thurlor - alternate-past could be really easy. Say, point of departure is 200 years ago, and the map is three hundred years in THAT world's past...

Thurlor
06-19-2013, 11:33 PM
@jbgibson

Easy? As in the same as our history? lol

Diamond
06-19-2013, 11:55 PM
It looks like the May/June entries are still hanging around in the Current Challenge space. They probably ought to wander off into a historical context...

They'll be gone tomorrow evening after voting ends. I wanted them visible till then so folks can see what they're voting for (the threads have to be kept here so the thumb scraper picks 'em up).

waldronate
06-20-2013, 12:56 AM
I hadn't noticed that voting was still ongoing. That explains it, then.

WillP
06-20-2013, 01:44 PM
I must say that I'm looking forward to this one.

Diamond
07-08-2013, 01:41 PM
Just a reminder - you all have about 5 days left on this month's challenge. I'm going to shut it down Saturday night, so any late bloomers, now's your chance! :D

Lingon
07-08-2013, 03:43 PM
There's nothing as motivating as a little bit of panic!

Niall Mackay
07-09-2013, 03:07 AM
I started playing around with a map last weekend, maybe i will find the time to finish it (I don't want to toss in another unfinished map like in my last contest...).
One one hand, with 25C in the shadows i have to work every day, and i have to learn for my russian exam next week. But on the other, it's just labels, story and some Lines that are missing... I'll see what i can do. :)

Lingon
07-10-2013, 03:24 AM
Niall, write the labels and story in Russian and kill two birds with one stone! ;)

Diamond
07-13-2013, 12:47 AM
About 24 hours left until I put this one in the books.