PDA

View Full Version : The Great War: North American Front

WillP
06-21-2013, 12:51 AM
First, I'd like to say that I have a serious hand cramp, I've been through a half of a bottle of Zinfandel, and 2 episodes of Alias, and I only have this much to show for it.

There will be an entire timeline to go with this map, including at least one short story (perhaps a full novel).

The teasers for now will be the Veracruz Occupation and the Zimmerman Telegram.

Good night all

### LATEST WIP ###

arsheesh
06-23-2013, 04:08 PM
Be interested to here more about this story. looks good so far but you have a white brush stroke obscuring some of the details along the coast of Texas.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

WillP
06-23-2013, 04:54 PM
Oh yeah. I have a lot of cleanup on the coasts (I actually haven't cleaned them yet). I'm also going to enlarge the map to include Florida.

Diamond
06-23-2013, 05:47 PM
I think that's actually Padre Island, a loooooooong barrier island (and great party spot :D ).

WillP
06-23-2013, 10:25 PM
Would not have been a great party spot when it was behind enemy lines in 1917.

WillP
06-24-2013, 11:29 AM
I had a little bit of time last night and this morning (when I should have been doing real work) and I completely redid the map. I expanded out the map to include more area and I reworked the coastlines, making the barrier islands easier to see. I also hashed out the state and national borders.

### LATEST WIP ###

WillP
06-24-2013, 04:32 PM
I'm pretty much done for today. I had plans to get a lot done in my yard, but summer thundershowers prevented me from that task so I did more work on this.

I'd like for a skilled eye to look it over and see what glaring problems there are.

### LATEST WIP ###

Lingon
06-25-2013, 04:06 AM
Not that I have a skilled eye, but I think the ruler-drawn state borders are supposed to follow the longitudes? I could be wrong though, I'm not American :P Anyway, I like the sea color in the latest version a lot more than the previous, and the font is really nice.

WillP
06-25-2013, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the catch Lingon. The graticules I used didn't mesh with the base SVG I drew the map from. I've removed them pending figuring out how to make it accurately.

Anyway, I think I need to go ahead and give the back story for this divergence from our current time:

In the early decades of the 20th century, Mexico was embroiled in a civil war, and during this time, in 1914, some American sailors were captured in the port of Veracruz (See Veracruz Occupation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veracruz_Incident)). During our time line, the civil war continued after this event, but what if this was a galvanizing event to unite the Mexican people? (The idea that I will pick on my brother, but you better not.)

After the incident was resolved and the Mexican Civil War was over, the government of Mexico vowed they would never be bullied by another nation and started a military buildup akin to what was seen in Europe ten years prior, but without an opponent, it was strictly "defensive only."

As the Great War raged across Europe, the Americas sat on the sidelines with Woodrow Wilson emphatically siding with the isolationists. Mexico was careful to maintain diplomatic relations with all belligerents in the war, but unbeknownst to all, they had a closer relationship with the German Empire.

Germany was faltering; choked by a severe blockade of their ports by the British, opted for unrestricted submarine warfare, knowing that would probably draw the United States into the war. As an attempt to keep the US occupied and away from Europe, the Germans sent the Zimmermann Telegram (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zimmermann_Telegram) to Mexico asking them to enter the war. (In our timeline this was intercepted, but here it wasn't.)

When the US declared war on Germany, Mexico moved their troops into position then declared war on the United States on the day they invaded. The attack was a three pronged attack, San Diego was captured by the Mexican Pacific Army and the Mexican Pacific Navy, San Antonio was captured by the Mexican Central Army, and key shipyards in New Orleans, Mobile, and Tampa were hit by a Mexican Gulf Fleet raid.

The smaller Pacific Army was stopped just south of Los Angeles where both armies dug in between the ocean and the mountains. The much larger Central Army captured Dallas, then Little Rock before being stopped by the Mississippi River in Memphis. They were further halted south of St. Louis where trenches were dug.

The Gulf Fleet had the run of their sea and used that opportunity to repay a debt to the German Empire. They sailed out of Veracruz and captured the port city of Belize, and thereby capturing the entire colony of British Honduras. Not long later, they captured the Cayman Islands as a means to stage an attack on the American coaling station at Guantanamo and then capture Nassau, Bahamas, giving the Mexicans a valuable presence in the Atlantic.

After Mexico declared war on the US, the American ally in the south, Brazil, who had been watching the Mexicans with concern, declared war on Mexico, but before they could act, their neighbor and Central sympathizer, Argentina, declared war on all the Entente powers, including Brazil.

Brazil was eventually able to knock the Argentinians out of the war, and sent a fleet, complete with troop carriers, through the Panama Canal aiming for the port city of Acapulco. This they captured and built an air base to attack Mexico City.

More of the story will be forthcoming as I decide how it unfolds, but meanwhile, here is the map so far.

### LATEST WIP ###

Diamond
06-25-2013, 09:21 PM
Looking good, and good back-story!

WillP
06-26-2013, 01:01 PM
I did a bit more work here. Thinned out the paths the armies and navies followed and I started labeling all the battles. I also drew in the line of greatest control by the Mexican forces as well as the end result.

The bulk of the map itself is done unless I've screwed up something.
### LATEST WIP ###

WillP
06-27-2013, 02:51 PM
A little bit of fluff: I've added the battle flags and naval jacks to indicate who's who, and I added a border.

I still have to work on the cartouches and overall map dimensions, as well as put a compass rose.

### LATEST WIP ###

Lingon
06-27-2013, 04:03 PM
Looking pretty great! Though I'm a little confused about what the big, low-opacity flags mean, since most of Mexico has an American flag on it, and USA has none – occupation zones?

By the way, if you want to have a graticule on the map, I'd guess the base map is in the Mercator projection, though I'm not sure at all so maybe not very helpful :P

WillP
06-27-2013, 05:39 PM
Thanks Lingon. I will try the Mercator projection and see if I can get one to fit. I know Monterrey is located at 25N and 100W and I was going to use that as a reference point for placing the graticule.

As for the low density flags, they are the final occupation zones: The American Zone, the Brazilian Zone, and the British Zone (like what happened in Germany after WWII). I plan on explaining it in the legend. Should I lighten the flags or perhaps use a small inset map to show the final occupation zones?

WillP
06-28-2013, 05:13 PM
I decided to leave off a projection unless I get overwhelming recomendations that I need one.

I still need to place the legend of events, but I removed the occupation zones and put them into an inset map to, hopefully, clear up any confusion.

### LATEST WIP ###

Lingon
06-29-2013, 02:43 AM
That turned out really cool!

WillP
07-01-2013, 01:20 PM
Ok, I spent the weekend without internet thanks to a lightening strike. but I did have time to do some work on this map, and I will probably evolve this to a novel at some point.

### LATEST WIP ###

jbgibson
07-01-2013, 04:05 PM
Nice work. There's a typo you want to correct - one of your Brazillans is a Brizallan.

I can read between the lines in this scenario. For example, between 2 and 2A was no doubt the series

4/30/17 Texas also declares war on Mexico
4/30/17 Washington informs Texas that only the Federal government declares war.
4/30/17 Texas cables DC "Y'all just shut up. We've got this."
and
5/2/17 Generalissimo Agustín Millán Vivero issues the famous telegram home "Battlefield census indicates 4 million Texicans and 12 million firearms. Send more troops."

WillP
07-02-2013, 02:27 PM
JbGibson, I will leave the internal speculation to you. Thanks for the catch on the typo however; I'm surprised I only had one.

Here is the corrected map.

### LATEST WIP ###

Niall Mackay
07-02-2013, 05:07 PM
No need to be surprised, sorry. ;)
Found some more, you still got an "Armistace", "Monterry" and "San Deigo" in the right column.
(And I had some trouble noticing the blue dot for maxico city in the smaller map, maybe you want to try another colour?)

I wish I had the time to enter, I've got millions of ideas...

Edit: And some "brazillan" and "brazillian", too.

WillP
07-03-2013, 10:26 AM
If only Photoshop had spellcheck, everything would be ok.

I corrected Brazilian, Monterrey, San Diego, and armistice. I also changed the color of the Districto Federal to lime green.

### LATEST WIP ###

Niall Mackay
07-03-2013, 12:47 PM
You still have "San Deigo" at 1 and H. ;)

WillP
07-03-2013, 01:47 PM
#*!!*&##!

I thought I fixed that. I did fix it, I just failed to import the right text box into the big picture.

Ok, How's this?

### LATEST WIP ###

WillP
07-03-2013, 02:03 PM
### latest wip ###

arsheesh
07-03-2013, 03:30 PM
Looking great Willp, nice work on this.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Niall Mackay
07-03-2013, 03:47 PM
Very nice, the only thing I found in a close reading is that you made "Entente" to "Entante". (in the war parties list below the right column)

WillP
07-04-2013, 12:23 AM
Niall,

You are now hired as my new proofreader...I fired my last one. Benefits will be the same (Nada)

I fixed that and put the map back in the book I took it out of.

### LATEST WIP ###

Niall Mackay
07-04-2013, 05:03 PM
Yay! Thanks a lot, I will keep this appointment in honour. :)

rdanhenry
07-07-2013, 05:15 PM
Totally implausible. The United States would never have shared any of that territory, especially with a European power.

WillP
07-07-2013, 07:23 PM
RDan,

Gotta disagree with you on that one. In 1917 the United States was just barely a world power, and really the only status they had as such was defeating the rotting carcass of the Spanish Empire. Before the Great War, we had a very small standing army and our navy was second rate, especially compared to both the Royal Navy and the Imperial German Navy. In the scenario I present here, the Mexican Navy and Army have both been built up with the secret help of Germany and if you look at the battles, the US Atlantic Fleet actually does not win any battles.

Yes, in time the US Army would have eventually defeated the Mexicans, but it was the timely intervention of the Royal Navy (at the cost of a total defeat of Imperial Germany) that shortened this war, and after the British captured Veracruz, they marched on Mexico City. Also, the attack by the Brazilian forces diverted resources the Mexicans could have used against the Americans, thereby also shortening the war.

Also, keep in mind that these are occupation zones, analogous to the German Occupation Zones of WWII (Which will never happen because Imperial Germany steps up to the Armistice as a weakened belligerent and not a defeated power, therefore no German humiliation and no reason for the rise of Hitler.) What I would suspect would happen with these zones, and would most likely have been spelled out in the Treaty of Havana, is that eventually Mexico would have been partitioned into two or more independent nations. (I alluded to that in the copyright for the map [University of Tijuana, City of Tijuana, State of Baja California, Country of Norte Mexico])

This would open up an entirely new 20th century where I suspect the Cold War would have started earlier, or perhaps WWII would have been the Allies v. the Soviets...but that's another can of worms.

Lingon
07-08-2013, 11:52 AM
This would open up an entirely new 20th century where I suspect the Cold War would have started earlier, or perhaps WWII would have been the Allies v. the Soviets...but that's another can of worms.
And another map you have to make! :P

Nice touch with the book page, that was a very creative way of framing it.

WillP
07-08-2013, 02:51 PM
Nice touch with the book page, that was a very creative way of framing it.

Thanks. You don't think it distorts the map too much? I was worried about that.

Lingon
07-08-2013, 03:40 PM
Maybe just a little… Would it be easy to decrease the distortion? If it is, I'd play around with it and find that perfect sweet spot, but if not, I wouldn't worry about it. Looks great as it is.

WillP
07-09-2013, 12:56 AM
Lingon,

It wasn't easy to decrease the distortion...basically I had to redo the book, but that said, it really didn't take much time at all, no more that an hour. Plus it gave me a chance to work on page 43.

### LATEST WIP ###

Lingon
07-10-2013, 03:26 AM
Perfect :) Page 43 is quite intriguing…

WillP
07-10-2013, 06:41 PM
And the final tweaking continues...like a chef on a cooking competition.

### LATEST WIP ###

WillP
07-10-2013, 06:42 PM
Also:
The cover of the novel that has evolved from this challenge.

WillP
07-11-2013, 05:48 PM
Well...After spending an afternoon reading articles from the NY Times and the Boston Globe from 1914, I came to realize that if the Mexicans had any hope of knocking the US out of the naval war in the Gulf, they would also have to hit Galveston in the opening salvos. So I updated my map.

### LATEST WIP ###

WillP
07-11-2013, 06:25 PM
Woops.

### LATEST WIP ###