PDA

View Full Version : East Dunarion WIP

Doublar
06-21-2013, 01:50 AM
Whoa, it's been forever since I've posted anything, but after a couple of years of wallowing in self-pity I've finally gotten back into this whole map-making business. I doubt any of you still remember my last map (http://www.cartographersguild.com/regional-world-mapping/12624-grey-empires.html), but after transferring to a new system and losing all my files, I've entirely redrawn it by hand and added some new stuff as well. I may have gotten a bit rough around the edges after 2.5 years of not touching cartography, but hopefully being older and wiser will make up for that and this won't turn out a total failure.

Photoshop CS6 & Bamboo tablet. Spent all day drawing up the coastlines and it feels like I've developed premature arthritis in my right hand:

Feel free to comment on anything.

Lezales
06-21-2013, 04:35 AM
I really like the low-saturated tone of the map. I also like your coastlines and the abundance of islands, very rich landform.

arsheesh
06-21-2013, 06:22 AM
Welcome back Doublar, this is a very nice start. Looking forward to seeing it develop.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Viking
06-22-2013, 04:57 PM
I really look forward to seeing this one progress :) Welcome back too!

Doublar
06-22-2013, 11:08 PM
Laid down a basic color scheme and tested out my text on the seas. I'm not sure if the colors might be a bit too muted and if there's enough contrast between the water and the land. Also working on a custom compass rose in the top left.

Also tried (roughly) drawing out some of my first mountains. How are they looking so far?

arsheesh
06-22-2013, 11:24 PM
No, the colors are just right. This is already shaping up to be a fantastic map. I like the line work on your mountains as well, and the compass rose is lovely. Looking forward to the next update.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Diamond
06-22-2013, 11:29 PM
Gah! Another person who draws awesome mountains that look just perfect! :D

I agree with arsheesh - don't change a single thing with the colors. The font is great also.

Viking
06-23-2013, 11:10 PM
This looks great Doublar! :) I have to agree with the others that the mountains are looking good. I also really love your compass rose!!

Doublar
06-25-2013, 03:15 AM
Thanks for the comments guys! And just for you, Viking, I finished the compass rose:

Might polish some stuff later but it's pretty much done.

arsheesh
06-25-2013, 03:30 AM
Damn. That is one fine compass rose.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

- Max -
06-25-2013, 04:05 AM
Awesome compass and great start on the map so far!

Doublar
07-17-2013, 02:54 AM
Whew, so after selling my soul to Civ V for a few weeks I decided I needed to keep this map going. Due to these video game-related distractions progress has been a bit slow, but I'm finally sorting out my labeling system.

56134 (ignore the dots in the sea)

All the text and layers are starting to bog down Photoshop, but I'm sure my battered trooper of a system can push through.

Eilathen
07-17-2013, 09:12 AM
Wow, this is looking very good!
I really like the style you have going for the filling of your lands (mountains etc. ). Not sure about the compass rose...first of all it is too big imo (it draws the eyes too much), and it also clashes style wise with the rest. Maybe try out a more down-to-earh compass rose?

Diamond
07-17-2013, 03:30 PM
I LOVE this map; please don't lose interest in it. It's going to look awesome when you finish.

I've got to disagree with Eilathen regarding the compass. I love the art on it, and I think once you see it in context on the bigger map, it'll look fine.

Viking
07-17-2013, 09:15 PM
Magnificent compass rose my friend! I love how the map is coming so far :)

Lingon
07-18-2013, 02:54 AM
Another vote for keeping the compass, it's one of the coolest I've seen!

Eilathen
07-18-2013, 06:05 AM
Seems i'm in a minority now :D
Let me be more precise...i think the compass on its own looks great. Although i still think all the architectural stuff around the compass rose itself is a bit much. But it definitely is a nice piece of work!
I just think it does not fit very well with the rest of the map. It's in 3d view whereas the map is done with more simple looking, flat style symbols (it really pops out imo). Also, i think it is too huge in comparison to the rest of the map shown. That is what i meant with "it draws the eyes".
Anyway...a wise man once said you can't argue about taste ... ;)

Oh and i didn't Rep you yet...consider that rectified!

Chashio
07-18-2013, 01:24 PM
A slow whistle of admiration just passed into silent wonder. Everything is fabulous except--dammitall, Doublar! My thoughts will be annoyingly poetic in structure for the rest of the day.

- Max -
07-19-2013, 04:17 PM
I kinda agree with Eilathen. Though the compass is a fine piece, it seems a bit too huge on the map.

Doublar
07-21-2013, 02:35 AM
Thanks for your comments, guys! I tried seeing how the compass rose would look if it were smaller (this time with the full map for better context).

Original:

And resized:

I actually am leaning towards the admittedly less distracting smaller verson (though with some placement tweaks). Thoughts?

Viking
07-21-2013, 08:03 AM
Yea I think the smaller compass probably is more suitable.

Caenwyr
07-23-2013, 05:51 AM
Amazing map, Doublar - and I think I like the smaller version better as well!