PDA

View Full Version : Plate Map

Vinoex
06-25-2013, 02:10 PM
I've decided to start working on creating a world. And I figure I should do it right, so I've started with the plates for my frame work. The world will be earth equivalent in size. I have not given the plates motion yet, I wanted to get some feed back first. The single plates over the poles are for simplicities sake. Let me know what you think.

AzurePlanet
06-26-2013, 09:56 AM
I think it's a good work, so far. The plates over the poles are ok.
Are you using a specific software to give the plates motion? I'm also interested in such kind of things and last year I found a free software called "GPlates", but I've never used it because it's made by geologists, and study is needed for using it.

Vinoex
06-26-2013, 06:12 PM
The movement of the plates is being done by random numbers for speed and direction. GPlates looks like it could be useful, but I think I would need much more data to model to plate movements. Attached is an ugly map showing the plates speed and direction. I didn't give the northern and southern plates any velocity in order to preserve my sanity. Next step is determining the plate and boundaries types.55695

Londonsmee
06-26-2013, 07:07 PM
looking good, can see a lot of friction positions. are you going to physically going to model or just representation. Could I suggest some fracture points where quakes are lible. :)

happy plate smashing :)

Viking
06-26-2013, 10:32 PM
I love seeing maps start off with this attention to tectonic plates etc :) Don't forget to make the pole plates move too.