PDA

View Full Version : Uma.v2 (WIP)

fifty
07-04-2013, 10:59 AM
So had some more practice and now I want to redo one of my old maps for an RPG rules and setting I'm doing with a friend (http://facebook.com/Orbis.RPGame)

This is the old map: 55830

which I've converted to land/sea B/W :55831

now I just need to decide if I want to do antique style or more photostyle... Generally I think I really like the hand drawn styles I've seen, but I don't know if I've the basic talent to do that format justice! :lol:

fifty
08-28-2013, 06:36 AM
So been off doing some other things relating to the fantasy RPG (http://www.facebook.com/Orbis.RPGame) which this map is going to be for, got back on it this week and have decided for a photo style map.

here's where I'm upto: 57270

Next step is going to be putting some forest texture on but I'm not really sure how to do it - I've seen Arsheesh's excelent Photo-realistic Forests in Gimp tut, and that's the style I'd like to achieve, but I'm using Photoshop so I'll have to see if I can work out how to do it in that! :?:

Chashio
08-28-2013, 10:39 AM
That latest picture is invalid... if you wouldn't mind uploading it again? :)

fifty
08-28-2013, 01:09 PM
57274 this work?

Chashio
08-28-2013, 01:48 PM
Yep, that did it.

The colors are nice, but that style effect you have on the water makes it look like a living organism that's sending vein type feelers to explore over the surface of your landmass. It's generally better not to put any type of bevel on water because it can appear backward depending on how you view it.

fifty
08-28-2013, 03:10 PM
Hmm.... yep I can see that now - what about this?

Chashio
08-28-2013, 03:32 PM
Well it's still there, it's just a bit darker now. Did you put some sort of shadow on the water or land? because that would throw it off in a similar fashion.

fifty
08-28-2013, 03:48 PM
Maybe... when I hide all the water layers there's a shadow following the rivers on the land layer...

I think I might have put some sort of shadow on an earlier layer and lost the layer adjustments when I merged it with another one. :(

I'll have to go back through earlier saves and see if i can find when it happened.

fifty
08-28-2013, 04:25 PM
OK - well I know how it happened at least.

When I applied lighting effects to the land layer (4 omni lights at the corners) it has also created a shadow following the rivers edge, you can't see the one that gets layered under the river itself, but the one on the land side stays with the land layer. :(

So it then gives the appearance of the river floating above the land...

I'm open to suggestions on how to resolve this! :)

Chashio
08-28-2013, 04:26 PM
If you select the pixels (right-click on the layer preview, select pixels) then make a new layer over the land layer that's causing problems, create a new layer mask from the open selection, then paint or fill the new layer with a color similar to your land, refine the mask edge so it covers the shadows, and maybe play with layer blending a bit... that might fix it, or come close, if you can't or don't want to find an older saved version.

Edit: You beat me with a reply. Okay, lighting effects. Give me a minute.

Chashio
08-28-2013, 04:34 PM
Oh, is that one on the left an older version that you have available? You could flatten it if need be and put that above the problem layer, then add a new mask, invert it so it's black, then paint over with white on the mask just the side of the river with the shadow, and once done add a hue or color balance layer adjustment with a clipping mask to get the colors of the new old layer more in line with the post lighting effects layer.

fifty
08-28-2013, 05:58 PM
Ah-ha - brilliant!

I do still have the old save and I was trying to think how I could use that layer to fix the other one - your suggestion sounds like just what I need! :)

I'll have a play and let you know how it goes! :)

fifty
08-29-2013, 05:06 AM
Ok, had a play around and I think the problem is sorted?

So after your advice Chashio I started down the path you suggested, but then it occurred to me I might be able to simplify matters even further using the same idea.
So In the old save version I hid all the other layers, then selected the 'empty space' expanded the selection by 5 pixels so it effectively took in just the land edge all the way around, inverse selection then delete to give me a 5 pixel wide strip of the entire river and coast edge.

Simple matter to paste as a new layer on top of the other, then a bit of messing with the opacity and layer blending and done!

Time to think of a solution : 3 hours, time to fix the problem : 5 minutes! :D

Thanks again Chashio!

Chashio
08-29-2013, 06:40 PM
Yeah, I thought there might be something simpler than my suggestions... glad you thought of it :)

fifty
09-01-2013, 06:06 PM
Right, latest update:

I've added forests, some text, and town and city markers etc.

As its intended for an RPG book I want it to be legible at an A4 print size so I went for simple "pins" for the cities, I wont be name labelling the non-capital pins for the same reason. I might number them for later reference though depends on how cluttered its going to end up looking...

Anyway I've left a spot for a compass rose and a scale in the top left, just need to find a nice free one that fits the style, or make my own.. anyone point me at some relevant tuts? :)

fifty
09-03-2013, 07:01 AM
Right, Think I'm done for now! :)

At some point I'll probably add some detailed labels for river towns and POI in small text that will be visible when zoomed in, but it's not required for my current purposes so it'll stand as it is.

I'm pretty happy with how its turned out - but now I am determined to have a go at this same map in antique style.. wish me luck! ;D