PDA

View Full Version : towns/cities vs castles

Hikki-Jin
07-06-2013, 09:52 PM
I'm having some trouble when it comes to labeling my map. Basically, my confusion comes down to using 'city/town icons' vs. 'castle icons'.
Like, in situations where a settlement is either around a castle/fort, or else they're close enough that they'd occupy roughly the same spot on the map. For example, I wanna put down your typical castle-town somewhere. Or say it's a sizable city instead, perhaps the capital or a trade hub, and the ruler's castle is on a nearbye hill overlooking the city.
I guess maybe with the castle-towns, a 'castle icon' would be more appropiate? But what about larger settlements? If I use a 'city icon', how would I indicate that there's also an adjacent fortification without trying to smush the two icons next to each other?

On a related note, just how common were "urban" castles, those near or within settlements?

- Max -
07-06-2013, 10:02 PM
Make a third icon for fortified town?

Mark Oliva
07-07-2013, 02:14 AM
just how common were "urban" castles, those near or within settlements?

Very common. Isolated fortresses and castles usually belonged only to robber knights.

- Max -
07-07-2013, 05:03 AM
I have to disagree with that. The cathar castles (south France), previously built to protect the boundary from Kingdom of Aragon ( in Spain), are some isolated ones that belongs to local lords that welcomed the cathars who sought refuge there.

Chlodowech
07-07-2013, 06:02 AM
Isolated fortresses and castles usually belonged only to robber knights.

Isolated castles existed at strategic locations (near borders, trade routes, straits, etc.), or just when the owner could not provide a location next to the castle where a town could survive economically (other towns were too close, or there was no possibility for sufficient supply with goods, or no trade route existed)

A village was often established next to the castle, but when there already existed some rural structures, the castle was often built at a place which was easy to defend (even when there was no possibility to found a village nearby)

'city/town icons' vs. 'castle icons'.

Castle icons were usually the icons of the owners' families. Those icons were subdivided into a part of the lords' family's icon, and another part of the icon of the lady.
Cities were granted special icons by their owners when they reached a certain degree of independence. Those icons were not subdivided (at least not because of a marriage :D ), but showed a single symbol (like a town wall, a tower, or sometimes the sign of a saint which was related to the town).

Clue
07-07-2013, 11:48 PM
The poster was referring to map icons, not crests. Furthermore, I would go with what Max said. Make more icons.