PDA

View Full Version : *** July Challenge - Mapping the Novel***

arsheesh
07-07-2013, 04:28 PM
Many of us were first drawn to map-making through the inspiration of maps from fantasy (or sci-fi) novels we were reading. Well this month's challenge is to create or re-envision a map from a published fantasy or sci-fi novel. The map must include a title, but otherwise you have artistic license as to how to present the map.

Title each new thread July 2013 Entry - <your title>

Precede each WIP image with the tag ### Latest WIP ###.

The challenge will end on or around the first of August, and the winner will receive a golden compass, an enviable accolade here at the Guild.

- Max -
07-07-2013, 05:51 PM
I'll be in :)

Diamond
07-07-2013, 08:28 PM
Yep, I think I've got have a go at this. Maybe I'll even finish it... ;)

Schwarzkreuz
07-08-2013, 02:27 PM
One Win, Twi fails, now I should be on my lucky month again. I am in, with the World of the Novels of the Malazan Empire (Which inspires Arden to a great deal)

Larb
07-08-2013, 06:14 PM
I've not been well lately but I am tempted to try and map the city of Camorr from the Lies of Locke Lamora. I do like city maps.

Schwarzkreuz
07-08-2013, 06:15 PM
Dont do. I still like to have a winning chance :P

Kidding. Would love to see more of you Larb. Your cities are a source of inspiration for me.

Diamond
07-08-2013, 11:34 PM
Would love to see more of you Larb. Your cities are a source of inspiration for me.

This.

(Added filler to reach minimum character limit. :| )

Korash
07-09-2013, 08:44 AM
Well if it fits this descriptor - "this month's challenge is to create or re-envision a map from a published fantasy or sci-fi novel" - then I can't see why not. I believe there needs to be a chance that someone else might have read it. ;)

JSP
07-09-2013, 03:27 PM
I missed this one by about two months :(
I just did Middle Earth (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hx6_Jg36to) and the map from the Wheel of Time (http://shardsofthedarkage.blogspot.com/2013/05/cartography-tribute-to-robert-jordan.html) series. I might try and to a local map, but I haven't read anything mapworthy in a while either. I'm in a similar boat as Freehand5.5. Problem is, I'm unpublished :?

JSP

arsheesh
07-09-2013, 03:55 PM
Darn, I don't read novels. :(

But I've written one. Does that count, too?

The spirit of the challenge is to create a map for a novel that was of inspiration to you. However as Korash has pointed out, technically so long as the book has been published it would meet the requirements of the challenge.

I missed this one by about two months :(
I just did Middle Earth (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hx6_Jg36to) and the map from the Wheel of Time (http://shardsofthedarkage.blogspot.com/2013/05/cartography-tribute-to-robert-jordan.html) series. I might try and to a local map, but I haven't read anything mapworthy in a while either. I'm in a similar boat as Freehand5.5. Problem is, I'm unpublished :?

JSP

That's a shame, those were some nice maps.

arsheesh
07-09-2013, 06:03 PM
If it a novel that has been published it works, doesn't matter what the format is. :)

P.S. The reason for the requirement was because there are already number of authors here who are creating maps for their world. So without the "published" clause the challenge might turn out to be pretty much a rehash of what is already taking place.

Miranda Hartrampf
07-10-2013, 07:34 AM
Schwarzkreuz you have my heart and soul if you map Stephen Erickson world! Will you be doing the ENTIRE world, or sections. I think mapping some of the warrens would be AWESOME! I could go off on those books for hours but for now ill just say i CANNOT wait to see what you do!

Ramah
07-10-2013, 11:45 AM
Hmm... I could be tempted with this one. If I did join it would probably be something from Tolkien, either Middle Earth or maybe the Undying Lands. I've had a hankering to attempt both those in the past but I also feel as they have been pretty much done to death I would need to throw some serious time at a map to try and elevate it to something worth doing. Not sure if the challenge schedule will fit in with that.
Still... very tempted. I think I'll sleep on it. :)

Eilathen
07-10-2013, 12:15 PM
Hmm... I could be tempted with this one. If I did join it would probably be something from Tolkien, either Middle Earth or maybe the Undying Lands. I've had a hankering to attempt both those in the past but I also feel as they have been pretty much done to death I would need to throw some serious time at a map to try and elevate it to something worth doing. Not sure if the challenge schedule will fit in with that.
Still... very tempted. I think I'll sleep on it. :)

How about a map of Beleriand? It is also in Tolkien's universe, very important for the Silmarillion and it hasn't been done to death...yet ;)
All in all, i'd very much like to see you taking part, Ramah. Because your maps always are a thing of beauty!

@ Miranda - Word! I hope SK does a worldmap. If not, i hope he does the seven cities continent, the continent where Lether is or Quon Tali.

Schwarzkreuz
07-10-2013, 12:21 PM
Hmmm maybe Assail ;) ?

Ramah
07-10-2013, 01:06 PM
How about a map of Beleriand? It is also in Tolkien's universe, very important for the Silmarillion and it hasn't been done to death...yet ;)

Hmm, possibly, although if I'm honest I have less interest in Beleriand and I'm not really sure why. I think most of all I'd love to do a version of Valinor. The Undying Lands have always held a fascination for me. My very first online name, from way back in the AOL days (preceding Ramah by a month or so when I subscribed to Wireplay) was Ungoliant. Big, evil spiders ftw!

Miranda Hartrampf
07-10-2013, 03:08 PM
Hmmm maybe Assail ;) ?

wonderful! Also i tried to RE your pm and unfortunately you have no more space :)) :(( so i have your reply waiting for when you ca receive it.

Schwarzkreuz
07-10-2013, 04:25 PM
Just emptied my bucket

wonderful! Also i tried to RE your pm and unfortunately you have no more space :)) :(( so i have your reply waiting for when you ca receive it.

Schwarzkreuz
07-11-2013, 12:51 PM
This month allready is a very stunning competition. So far i like all WIPs, and Sapiento is almost finished in One day. I hope we will still see more participants.

Nighthawk
07-19-2013, 10:00 AM
I was considering doing the internal map of Magrathea, as envisioned in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (specifically the television series), complete with the planet building chambers and all that. I don't know if I'll have time to do that, though. :(

I may have some simpler ideas I can whip up...

arsheesh
07-30-2013, 06:09 PM
Just a reminder, there are two days left to finish up any remaining work on these entries before the challenge is closed for voting.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Diamond
07-30-2013, 07:28 PM
Now that the site's back up, I can actually post mine... :D

- Max -
07-30-2013, 07:33 PM
Yay! Sounds good :)

arsheesh
08-01-2013, 05:05 PM
Hi everyone, I will be closing things down in 1 hour to set up voting. Please have last minute updates or revisions in by then.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh