PDA

View Full Version : The Ruins of Dragon Port

arsheesh
07-07-2013, 04:57 PM
This was my submission to last month's challenge. The challenge was to map an area of interest located on a particular hex map. I chose to map Hex F2 of mariuccij's excellent Isolated Valley (http://www.cartographersguild.com/mapping-challenge-archive/23309-may-2013-entry-isolated-valley-2.html) map in order to try my hand at a town map. Learned a lot making this map, and there are definitely some things I will do differently the next time around. That said, overall I'm pleased with the results.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Katto
07-09-2013, 12:19 PM
Hm, missed the voting, but my first thought when looking at it was: that's the winner. I've checked the archive and it was true. Congratulations for your first golden compass!
Edit: sorry can't rep you for it now.

arsheesh
07-09-2013, 03:42 PM
That's alright Katto, I appreciate the sentiment.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

mariuccij
07-09-2013, 10:51 PM
Hey awesome job!!! Love this, sorry I haven't checked back in here lately!

mariuccij
07-09-2013, 10:52 PM
Hey i see the red dragon inn! EPIC! XD

Miranda Hartrampf
07-10-2013, 07:54 AM
oh gosh i LOVE the ocean and especially the tide detail! Beautiful work!

Miranda Hartrampf
07-10-2013, 07:57 AM
how did you do the tide, shore and shallow water detail... i could fiddle around for hours and never end up with that... but if you may be able to toss a newbie a bone... i would loveyou forever!

arsheesh
07-10-2013, 04:26 PM
Hey i see the red dragon inn! EPIC! XD

Wondered if anyone would catch the reference :)

how did you do the tide, shore and shallow water detail... i could fiddle around for hours and never end up with that... but if you may be able to toss a newbie a bone... i would loveyou forever!

Sure thing Miranda. I used several custom grunge brushes that I downloaded somewhere (can't recall where) to splash paint on the canvas (to use an analogy). I would decrease the brush size as I moved toward the edges of the wave to get the taper effect. Then I erased the bottoms portions of the grunge splats in an attempt to mimic the way a wave crests. On a separate layer set to 10% opacity I also used a fuzzy brush to paint a contour line along the crest of the waves. Not a whole lot to it really, it just takes a while to accomplish.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

katiedidit120
07-27-2013, 12:22 AM
This is awesome! Did you create the coat of arms yourself? If so, how?

-Kate-

arsheesh
07-28-2013, 09:26 PM
This is awesome! Did you create the coat of arms yourself? If so, how?

-Kate-

Thanks Katie. I've attached a basic walk through of my work flow for you. Hope it helps.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

raymondroot
08-05-2013, 06:27 PM
beautiful map.... love it

arsheesh
08-07-2013, 04:32 PM
Thanks raymondroot!

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

monnock777
08-07-2013, 10:16 PM
oh gosh i LOVE the ocean and especially the tide detail! Beautiful work!
I would have to agree the waves and sea foam look fantastic.