PDA

View Full Version : July 2013 Entry: Paksenarrion's World

Diamond
07-07-2013, 11:59 PM
There's enough good source material out there for it, and I just finished re-reading the original trilogy, so I thought I'd take a stab at this. I do plan to make it more of an 'inspired by' version. The original maps (drawn by Elizabeth Moon herself, I believe) do an admirable job of showing location, but frankly, they're some of the most plug-ugly maps ever. Hopefully this one will be less ugly. :D

### Latest WIP ###

arsheesh
07-08-2013, 04:53 AM
Nice, down with plug-ugly maps. I'm sure yours will be considerably less so ;)

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Diamond
07-09-2013, 12:37 AM
I hope so, Arsheesh. :D Anyhoo, here's some terrain. I decided to go with a sort of 'antique photo-realistic' look. Hopefully that will make sense the farther I get.

### Latest WIP ###

Diamond
07-09-2013, 02:42 AM
Some grunge-work.

### Latest WIP ###

Lingon
07-10-2013, 03:17 AM
Looking absolutely brilliant already, Diamond! I love the color scheme you picked.

By the way, would you recommend the Paksenarrion books? Your map makes me want to read them :D I'm no huge fan of the elves-and-dwarves kind of fantasy, generally, but if it's got interesting prose and characters I can overlook that ;)

Korash
07-10-2013, 10:03 PM
Lingon, I for one would recommend these books to anyone who like Fantasy RPGs. It is more the story of the rise of a Paladin in a low fantasy world than a hack and slash "elves and dwarves" type. I liked the character development, as well as the military background that frames the world (Ms. Moon was a marine Lt).

Diamond, nicely done on the layout. I do have some concern about the rivers around the hills below the "AR". They seem a bit weird and under the hills themselves at times....Gonna watch this one develop :)

Diamond
07-11-2013, 12:15 AM
@Lingon: what Korash said. While on the surface the elves and dwarves have a lot of similarity to bog-standard D&D races, Moon puts a lot of thought into their culture and attitudes. They feel like actual separate races, not humans with funny ears or beards. And yep, the character development is great as is the military background (including a great look at what a functioning mercenary company might look like - the only similar thing I can think of that's better is the Black Company).

I can't speak to the Gird prequel books or the newer volumes as I haven't read 'em, but I'm sure I'll get around to it one of these days...

@Korash: Not sure what you mean about 'under the hills'. Do you mean the rivers layer seems to be under the hills?

Diamond
07-12-2013, 12:59 AM
I'm not convinced I like the font I've chosen. It fits the flavor of the world, but I think it may clash too much with the font I chose for the title and the region names.

### Latest WIP ###

Schwarzkreuz
07-12-2013, 01:55 AM
I think the font is ok

Eilathen
07-12-2013, 05:26 AM
This looks very good already!
And it makes me want to read the books. I started with some newer book of her in the same world but the map (if one can name the thing in there map) really turned me off of it (yeah, i am that way ... and i blame you guys ;) ).
You should totally contact the author after this challenge is done and offer her a chance to put this map in her books!

Little side-question: Do they have firearms in this world? If not, the two adornments in the top of the map are kind of misleading.

Lingon
07-12-2013, 12:42 PM
Another series on my read list then! Thanks for the recommendations!

I really like that font, though I agree that it's not a perfect fit next to the cleaner ones. It doesn't look bad at all, but I think I would have kept the new font and changed the title and region names to something more similar…

Korash
07-12-2013, 01:50 PM
Diamond, yes. More specifically where it passes through Cortes Andres with a similar appearance at the NE area of those hills.

I think Eilathen might have a point about what looks like cannon barrels at the bottom of those crests....maybe they are long signal drums...not that I remember them being used....

And I would double that Black Company recommendation. :) A gritty dark fantasy about a merc company that kicks ASS!!!

Diamond
07-12-2013, 03:53 PM
Very good point about those corner ornaments - I didn't even notice those cannon. There's also a pair of rifle barrels sticking out. :D I will change those to something more apropos.

@Korash - I'll see what I can do on those river areas. I'm not seeing exactly what you mean; I made the rivers by drawing a line, making the fill 0%, then applying a bevel. It might be that the colors of the hills and mountains showing through the river layer makes it seem as though the layers are inverted. I'll take another look at it tonight.

I think I will alter the title and region fonts a bit to be more in line with the other stuff. Maybe I'll even use the same font.

arsheesh
07-13-2013, 12:00 AM
Very interesting blend of styles, sort of reminds me a little of a2area's "Israh" map (which was one of the inspirations for my own regional mapping style). The colors are great and I like the way the mountains turned out. Looking forward to seeing more.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Schwarzkreuz
07-13-2013, 03:47 AM
How did you created the mountains?

Diamond
07-13-2013, 02:20 PM
How did you created the mountains?

Took scans of atlases (paper books) and online survey map/pictures, and stitched together the pieces that I wanted. Then cleaned up the joins, added transitional filler pieces where necessary, and fixed the colors so they're fairly uniform.

Schwarzkreuz
07-14-2013, 09:36 AM
Took scans of atlases (paper books) and online survey map/pictures, and stitched together the pieces that I wanted. Then cleaned up the joins, added transitional filler pieces where necessary, and fixed the colors so they're fairly uniform.

Interesting way of doing it. Could you post a tutorial later on? I would be interested in this specific technic.

Clercon
07-15-2013, 04:46 AM
looks really nice, though I think the green colour is a tad too strong. But that might just be me.

- Max -
07-21-2013, 11:03 AM
Hey Diamond, some progress there?

Diamond
07-21-2013, 01:53 PM
Don't worry; I'll finish it. :D

- Max -
07-21-2013, 03:09 PM
Sounds good! I can't wait to see the final result ;)

Lingon
07-21-2013, 04:29 PM
I can't wait either. I love the style you are using on this one, Diamond. Maybe I said something like that already :P

Jaxilon
07-26-2013, 11:55 AM
Oh awesome! This was a great series I read many moons ago. <-- hehe, see what I did there :)

Sheepfarmer's daughter caught my attention on the shelf one day and sucked me right in. Great choice, wish I hadn't been gone so much this month I would have liked to have done one of Terry Brook's stories.

Diamond
07-26-2013, 02:11 PM
Thank goodness we've got one more weekend before the end of the month; I'll actually be able to finish it!

Diamond
07-30-2013, 08:27 PM
I decided to go much simpler on the corner ornamentation; I felt like those banners were just overpowering the whole thing (not to mention the anachronistic elements that were pointed out :D ). There wasn't really much else to do; all names finished, put some roads in, and changed the font in the title box. And that's pretty much it.

### Latest WIP ###