PDA

View Full Version : {July 2013 Entry} - The Malazan Empire -

Schwarzkreuz
07-08-2013, 03:31 PM
I will try to finish a map of the Malazan Empire from Steven Erikson's ten Novels of the "Malazan Books of the Fallen"

arsheesh
07-08-2013, 05:16 PM
I will try to finish a map of the Malazan Empire from Steven Erikson's ten Novels of the "Malazan Books of the Fallen"

Just to clarify, this is not a map that you have begun previous to this challenge is it? Because if so that would be in violation of one of the requirements of any challenge entry, namely that all work on the entry be done within the allotted period of the challenge. Otherwise those who begun the maps only when the challenge started would be at an unfair disadvantage.

Schwarzkreuz
07-08-2013, 07:09 PM
Nope, hadnt do anything before but planned to do a Worldmap of the Malazan World one day. Hopefully this month.

Schwarzkreuz
07-10-2013, 05:56 PM
I am still abit unsure which part to illustrate...

Eilathen
07-10-2013, 06:28 PM
If you can, the whole world (as it is known atm).
Otherwise i'd say 7 cities continent or Letheras continent. But Qoun Tali is not bad either.

Just my 2 cents.

Schwarzkreuz
07-10-2013, 10:34 PM
World Sketch of the Malazan Empire and other areas.
It was realy difficult to find most snippets and hints from different sources to collect all informations beside the official maps which are incomplete and at times contradicting in coastlines.

Its 23.000 x 16.000 px

### Latest WIP ###

Schwarzkreuz
07-11-2013, 12:30 AM
All outlines repainted by hand. Took me a while.

Miranda Hartrampf
07-11-2013, 01:22 AM
looking awesome thus far! Still excited about your project!

Schwarzkreuz
07-11-2013, 02:02 AM
Hmmmmm, my computer is not fit enought, so I had to cut it down to only 16.000px size.. :(

Sapiento
07-11-2013, 02:30 AM
I'm more into sci-fi but sometimes I read fantasy, too. I love A Song of Ice and Fire, for example.

Can you recommend this Malazan series?

Schwarzkreuz
07-11-2013, 02:44 AM
Together with A Song of Ice and Fire its called the new Masterpiece of Fantasy. Only that George RR Martin is more famous now. In my opinion, Steven Erikson Books are far superior to ASoIaF. I like booth, but while Martin lost me a bit in Volume 4 and 5, Erikson had planed Volume 1-10 in coherency, forshadowing events sometimes 5 Novels in advance, so a lot of fans, including me, reread the novels several times and still find new angles of the story. You never have the feeling the outhor just popup new characters for nonsense, and the story is truly epic. But its hard to get into the story fast, its written completly in Medias Res, so you ahve to figure things out a lot. And I recommed you to read it in German, if your english is not perfect. It was very well translated. But the last 4 german Volumes (2 english) are still not translated.

The first book is Garden of the Moon

Sapiento
07-11-2013, 03:05 AM
Together with A Song of Ice and Fire its called the new Masterpiece of Fantasy. Only that George RR Martin is more famous now. In my opinion, Steven Erikson Books are far superior to ASoIaF. I like booth, but while Martin lost me a bit in Volume 4 and 5, Erikson had planed Volume 1-10 in coherency, forshadowing events sometimes 5 Novels in advance, so a lot of fans, including me, reread the novels several times and still find new angles of the story. You never have the feeling the outhor just popup new characters for nonsense, and the story is truly epic. But its hard to get into the story fast, its written completly in Medias Res, so you ahve to figure things out a lot. And I recommed you to read it in German, if your english is not perfect. It was very well translated. But the last 4 german Volumes (2 english) are still not translated.

The first book is Garden of the Moon

Well, I guess I should give it a try. I prefer the English versions, however - apart from having the original words of the author it also serves as training ;-).

Schwarzkreuz
07-11-2013, 03:20 AM
Here is the textured Version on 8% resolution

Miranda Hartrampf
07-11-2013, 03:48 AM
I'm more into sci-fi but sometimes I read fantasy, too. I love A Song of Ice and Fire, for example.

Can you recommend this Malazan series?

I can recommend the books.

Also i am loving the texture you have added thus far.

Schwarzkreuz
07-11-2013, 01:26 PM
Here is another minor update, I am still unsure about the colors

- Max -
07-11-2013, 02:06 PM
Looks like Nehwon colors :p

Schwarzkreuz
07-11-2013, 02:25 PM
Thats not true :P you are Bluegrey, I am greengray, and my paper is reddisch, yours yellow. But the colorintensity is the same, right. I will add watercolor wash to the ocean for more structures

Schwarzkreuz
07-11-2013, 08:15 PM
New colorwash inspired by visuals from Ramahs recent Vaniya map to give the water a slight lumicence glow with blueish tones. Dunno if that works.

Little preview oversprayed by a small visualisation how a tiny island on the Map start to rule the world (at least the Imperatrix may think so :D )

Comeon, this is the only book where Zombie-Cavemen and Transdimensional-Clockwork-Spaceship-Dinosaurs and Dead-Dragon-Soul with Splitpersonality Issues and a shapshifting Demonlord in the body of a flying teddybear and an Magical-Speaking-Artcritic-Frogs can coexist and making sense. The story is epic and seriously great, but some details I will always love.

vorropohaiah
07-12-2013, 04:12 AM
i prefer the sea in post #15 than the more recent update, or even subtler than that, even

Schwarzkreuz
07-12-2013, 07:24 AM
Hmmmm, I think I will try to tone it all down.

Schwarzkreuz
07-12-2013, 08:11 AM
Here it is.

I am more happy about the colorbalance now. Any comments welcome

### Latest WIP ###

Miranda Hartrampf
07-12-2013, 09:16 AM
Little preview oversprayed by a small visualisation how a tiny island on the Map start to rule the world (at least the Imperatrix may think so :D )

I had forgotten how tiny Malaz was! Insane when you read the books you just seem to forget details like that. And yes, as regards your current update i believe the colors are much more complimenting of each-other. Its still beautiful, yet not as dramatic or bold as the last one.

Sapiento
07-12-2013, 10:16 AM
Looks good, interesting texture.

Schwarzkreuz
07-12-2013, 03:28 PM
I dont like the new mountains, and would be very happy for some advise.... somehow they look cheesy and cheap... ?

Eilathen
07-12-2013, 03:54 PM
I like the general shapes of the mountains. I am not sure the coloring works for me...it looks kind of polished and/or 3d art effect like (kann es nicht besser umschreiben ^^ ).

- Max -
07-12-2013, 03:56 PM
I concur with it. The digital rock texture is too obvious and don't fit the hand-drawn outlines.

Schwarzkreuz
07-12-2013, 04:19 PM
which mean, redraw.... ok

Sapiento
07-12-2013, 04:45 PM
which mean, redraw.... ok

Maybe some PS effects could alter the texture without redrawing it completely.

Miranda Hartrampf
07-12-2013, 06:43 PM
Maybe some PS effects could alter the texture without redrawing it completely.

I would like to agree with this, but also i would like to put it out there that MAYBE you should put the mountains on the map... to see what there look like with your textures and colors. I for one would like to see that.

waldronate
07-12-2013, 06:53 PM
The texture on the mountains isn't so bad, it just has scaling and angle problems. The striped nature of the texture doesn't align with any of the main line elements and I think that was a lot of the problem. The features of the texture seemed to fight with the lines, if that makes sense.

Schwarzkreuz
07-12-2013, 08:12 PM
Ok here is the next try, which I like much more.

- Max -
07-12-2013, 08:15 PM
Way better! I'd highlight a bit more, especially on somes edges and tops

Miranda Hartrampf
07-12-2013, 08:39 PM
i also agree that these are much better, i submit to being wrong! And im glad you are much more approving of them, as said before! You must be proud of the work you do!

Schwarzkreuz
07-12-2013, 08:48 PM
Included Max's advice, and did more hightlights. Now I am realy pleased with them.

waldronate
07-12-2013, 10:17 PM
I think that those mountains look much nicer than the original ones, primarily because the art parts aren't fighting with the texture parts. Very nice work!

Schwarzkreuz
07-12-2013, 10:44 PM
Thanks. I am happy with them, now I only have to arrange them on the map in a good way.

arsheesh
07-13-2013, 12:43 AM
Those mountains look excellent! I am really looking forward to seeing this map come together.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Diamond
07-13-2013, 01:46 AM
Yep, more awesome mountains from SK! I bet if you lined up all the mountains that SK has drawn end-to-end, they'd reach around the globe. :D

Chashio
07-13-2013, 12:05 PM
Mountains are addictive things; these look fabulous, SK.

I wonder what they'd look like on the map without the heavy top line...

Schwarzkreuz
07-13-2013, 06:46 PM
You think the outline is too thick?

I do like them this way. Its only a 4px brush. And the final mountains in the Map will Be much smaller.
Ah, and i did change the colors for a orange tone to Match the map.

Or should i do the Map in Full color like max and Sapiento?

Diamond
07-13-2013, 09:28 PM
I would say leave it as-is, without full color. You've got something good going on here...

Sapiento
07-14-2013, 03:02 AM
I would say leave it as-is, without full color. You've got something good going on here...

Seconded. Use full colour.

Schwarzkreuz
07-14-2013, 07:45 AM
Here is the Area of Falar, northern Central Malazan Empire, so we can judge the Mountains on the map.

- Max -
07-14-2013, 07:58 AM
There's some gap between the clean painting of the (beautiful)mountains and the grungy cheesy background imo. Also it seems that mountains lacks of some contrast with the new orange tone.

Schwarzkreuz
07-14-2013, 10:39 AM
Maybe I will do it in a more monochrome way, i am not sure. My aim is to create a more consistent mapset, like on your recent maps.

Chashio
07-14-2013, 12:17 PM
I agree about the quality-in-pixel difference between the mountains and paper... I'm also not too fond of the orange color and contrast of the dark mtns on bright backdrop but that likely has something to do with my monitor calibration... or it's just me. The mountains on the grid had me thinking away from parchment backgrounds to a slightly more realistic result (mid-toned background with outline-less mountains to let the highlights and shadows do the work). That said, I'd love to see what you'd do with full color. :)

Schwarzkreuz
07-14-2013, 12:57 PM
Improved the Textures and changed the colors

- Max -
07-14-2013, 01:13 PM
The lighter texture on lands should fit better with the mountains style (if you wanna go on a very consistent style I'd deal with sea texture aswell. The mountains style is very clean so the overall map should look the same) also I concur with Chasio about the contrast on orange tone. The mountains ranges looks too flat and uniform for now. Adding more contrast/shadows/colors variations might improve them.

Schwarzkreuz
07-14-2013, 02:06 PM
I just did incresed the contrasts on that one. Hmmm I forgot this world dont have any sense when it comes to climate zones, Falar is a Equatorial Arctic zone, north of it on same hight as sccandinavia is a hot dessert (?!)

Ok here is Falar with proper colors. I hope thats better?

- Max -
07-14-2013, 02:19 PM
Looks good! How do you plan to blend the mountains with the lands?

Miranda Hartrampf
07-14-2013, 04:57 PM
i had the same question as max, i love the new update! But the mountains end abruptly - should not the climate fade off from the mountain side as well.... *does that make sense?* Great work!!!! I'm so excited about this project!

EDIT: Wait i had to take a closer look, there is a slight color change to the mountains! My bad :blush:

Schwarzkreuz
07-14-2013, 07:08 PM
Looks good! How do you plan to blend the mountains with the lands?

I dont intend to blend them too much, maybe a less opac brush to blend in with the gound.

Schwarzkreuz
07-14-2013, 07:10 PM
@Miranda:
Do you know why Falar is frozen? Maybe a Jaghut Omtose Phellack manifestation like in Lether?

Miranda Hartrampf
07-14-2013, 08:01 PM
@Miranda:
Do you know why Falar is frozen? Maybe a Jaghut Omtose Phellack manifestation like in Lether?

it makes sense, however i don't think the reasoning is ever discussed.

Schwarzkreuz
07-20-2013, 09:36 PM
Hmm i hope I find time to finish this before the month end. I have been very busy lately with other mappings, but I will sure finish this even when its not done by challenge 's end

Diamond
07-30-2013, 09:31 PM
SK!!!! Come on, man!!!! :D

Schwarzkreuz
07-30-2013, 10:02 PM
I am heavily ill again since two weeks....

Miranda Hartrampf
07-31-2013, 12:17 AM
I am heavily ill again since two weeks....

Ohh noo i hope you get better... then come back and finish this hehe... but really please get better

Jaxilon
07-31-2013, 02:54 AM
Dude, you gotta take care of yourself. I hope you get feeling better real soon!

Diamond
07-31-2013, 02:40 PM
Dude, you gotta take care of yourself. I hope you get feeling better real soon!

What he said!