PDA

View Full Version : The Kingdom of Ashen - WIP

Miranda Hartrampf
07-10-2013, 01:30 AM
So, this map is ALMOST already completed, however i wanted to share the steps i took to get to where i am finally! This map took me for a ride, literally.

Here is my initial sketch:

Next i transferred to photoshop - about this time i was signing up to this site and trying out every style i could... this is where i gets kinda messy.

Miranda Hartrampf
07-10-2013, 01:39 AM
Next came the many... MANY back and white versions of the map. And the oh so agonizing task of adding rivers. (Thank god i ran across wilbur <3 )

55931 55932 55933

*there names are all sorts of messed up so don't pay attention to that. Just know that i finally used the number 3... but not until after i did all this...

Miranda Hartrampf
07-10-2013, 01:46 AM
Like i said, i did a lot of experimenting with different styles, trying to figure out HOW i wanted this map to look.

55935 55936 55937 55938

Miranda Hartrampf
07-10-2013, 01:53 AM
So after finally deciding what i wanted, and with a little help from Wilbur, Jezelf and photoshop.... i had finished with these. My hightmap, color overlay and my wilbur...

55939 55940 55941 55942 55943

Miranda Hartrampf
07-10-2013, 01:55 AM
So finally i have this, i really like where its at but how does the labeling, crests and everything look??? The only thing i want to do next is add a border.

** opps no not this one...

Miranda Hartrampf
07-10-2013, 02:01 AM
Here it is this is my final one... this is the one i need advice with for the final touches, as well as border suggestions!!

Eilathen
07-10-2013, 09:30 AM
Nice Thread (and map)! I really like that one can see how this developed. Have some Rep.!

I was wondering: If these are different kingdoms...why do all the heraldries have the same colors? I think this very unlikely (well at least it was in our reality). Colors signify things...and heraldry also serves to be able to destinguish houses/kingdoms/what-have-you from each other...for example also on a battle field. So you might want to mix it up a bit.
But maybe you have a perfectly reasonable explanation for it...in which case you can ignore this paragraph :D

- Max -
07-10-2013, 09:33 AM
I concur about Eilathen about heraldic colors. It doesn't make that much sense for me. Also the map kinda lack of some more informations to my tastes (terrains labels, cities, borders, roads and stuff...)

Miranda Hartrampf
07-10-2013, 09:45 AM
I should probably have not made Kingdom plural - an easy fix. And max im in the process of adding little details but im afraid that to much will clutter up the map. so im just trying to find the balance between what detail i would like to add. Also, being that this is for a completely fantasy based novel of mine, there coat of arms is just to help me envision everything in my mind a bit more.

I can tell i have more work yet to do, any other suggestions or comments, or bits of advice are so helpful! Hoping to have another update in a few days but for now i need to take my eyes away and let my brain mull on what i currently have.

oh and thank you so much Eilathen!

Freodin
07-10-2013, 01:46 PM
Still you might want to change, or at least adapt a little, the heraldic crests. The dark blue / black combination is not the best choice.

Miranda Hartrampf
07-10-2013, 04:11 PM
I do plan on it but for now i am really trying to focus on other elements of my map.

Schwarzkreuz
07-10-2013, 05:32 PM
Adolon posted some great books about Heraldry in english.

Also I would surgest that you make this worldmap with only the names of the Countries/subdevision and its capitols. After that make detailed maps of each smaller part of the world. So in the end you ahve a interconnected sourcematerial of maps.

Miranda Hartrampf
07-11-2013, 01:27 AM
Also I would surgest that you make this worldmap with only the names of the Countries/subdevision and its capitols. After that make detailed maps of each smaller part of the world. So in the end you ahve a interconnected sourcematerial of maps.

I originally didn't want to use Heraldry because i just don't think it fits... but I've - like many other things - been experimenting with this map. I love the interconnected map idea! And think ill take your suggestion, would you also suggest boundary lines and roads? So many possibilities.

Thank you Schwarzkreuz

Miranda Hartrampf
07-11-2013, 05:29 AM
Okay so here is what i have so far, i have totally ex communicated the heraldry! Now here we have territories, and a rough (red) border, as well as the capital in each territory.

Schwarzkreuz
07-12-2013, 03:21 AM
Its slowly getting shape. I normally use some textures to enrich the colors of the ground

Miranda Hartrampf
07-12-2013, 05:08 AM
So here is what i have now. one update with the borders and another with some tree texture. I'm not sure if the tree texture even stands out, i think it does. I'm liking it alot better then the read territory borders update.

comments are always appreciated!

56001 56002

- Max -
07-12-2013, 05:39 AM
In order to avoid bad curve effect that distord font on curved labels, you may better want to use path tool to curve the labels properly. If you don't already know how to use it, take a look here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/tutorials-how/23481-mini-tutorial-curved-text-photoshop.html).

Miranda Hartrampf
07-12-2013, 09:17 AM
In order to avoid bad curve effect that distord font on curved labels, you may better want to use path tool to curve the labels properly. If you don't already know how to use it, take a look here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/tutorials-how/23481-mini-tutorial-curved-text-photoshop.html).

thank you that does make more sense
!

Miranda Hartrampf
07-12-2013, 09:21 PM
Okay, i have redone the wording, and how its curved, im trying out a new font, i have added territory borders, and textured the snow and forest areas. Any advice of more texturing or labeling is much appreciated!

arsheesh
07-13-2013, 12:54 AM
Looking great Miranda, the curved text looks good, the borders turned out nicely as well. Two suggestions for you though. First, the smaller (city?) labels seem a bit odd to me. My own thinking is that they would look better if the labels themselves were white (or some other light shade), as opposed to black with a large white background glow. Second, you may wish to play around with the borderlines a bit. If you look at Ascension's Atlas tutorial he offers instructions for how to fade the borderlines and make them integrate into the map a bit more. However this is just stylistic advice and others may differ, so take it with a grain of salt.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Miranda Hartrampf
07-13-2013, 01:09 AM
Thank you so much Arsheesh for your input! Ill have to look into that tutorial! I forgot to put an update of my city labels... they where bugging me as well so i changed them. As you can see below!

Miranda Hartrampf
07-13-2013, 08:30 AM
I have added my cities, towns and capitals, now im thinking all i need to do is the roads then some clean up on boundaries and other areas and i just may be good to go, and i also need to clean up the labels a little bit. But any suggestions or ideas are welcome!!! Feel free to comment!

Freodin
07-13-2013, 09:48 AM
There are a few occasions where you borders cross city names. Makes it hard to read the names in these places. Make sure that the labels are above the borders... or change the layer style of the text.

Personally I would like to see a little more contrast between land and sea... perhaps a little glow in a lighter blur at the coast.

Everything else.... great map!#

Lighter blur... oh my Gosh! I mean lighter BLUE of course! ;)

Diamond
07-13-2013, 03:34 PM
Personally I would like to see a little more contrast between land and sea... perhaps a little glow in a lighter blur at the coast.
That would be my only suggestion.

And yep, looks pretty darn good.

Miranda Hartrampf
07-14-2013, 06:32 PM
@ Freoding - Thank you! I think i have gone through and fixed all the city names that cross the borders. I also added some more contrast between the ocean and land.

@ Diamond - thank you so much! I think i fixed it.

Update: So i have fixed a few things, changed a few names, not many, and added a main road. Which im not to sure i like.

Im getting to the point where i think i shall soon start overworking the map. And im finding myself wanting to move on to other projects. Im just not sure if i want to call this done yet.

hmmm

Freodin
07-14-2013, 08:02 PM
The road looks a little wierd because of the horizontal lines you used to make it. Have you tried changing it to a circular brush? Might look better.

Otherwise, I could not think of anything you should change. I like it very much the way it is!