PDA

View Full Version : Award Winning Tutorials

ravells
07-01-2008, 06:18 AM
We like Tutorials at the Cartographers' Guild. The majority of people who visit the Guild come here to improve their mapping skills and for this reason the tutorial section is probably the most popular section on the site.

Members contributing outstanding tutorials receive a small badge as a token of our appreciation together with a prefix [Award Winner] on their tutorial post. In addition to making it easier for people to find outstanding tutorials, the [Award Winner] prefix also makes it easier for us to identify those deserving tutorials which may have been overlooked.

Until now tutorial awards have been decided upon by the Community Leaders, based mainly on the amount of work put into the tutorial and feedback received on the thread. We would like tutorial awards to be more of a group effort.

If you find a tutorial that has been useful to you, please either leave feedback on the thread or better still, rate the thread using the star rating button on the menu bar above the thread. This will make it much easier for us CLs to identify tutorials which deserve an award.

Robbie
07-01-2008, 07:19 AM
I'd REALLY like to see thread ratings take more of a forefront anyways, so feel free to start getting comfy with the thread rating capabilities.

I think this tutorial push will do a LOT for the site by A) Enticing people to create tutorials, and B) drawing attention to the good ones.

jfrazierjr
07-01-2008, 09:14 AM
We like Tutorials at the Cartographers' Guild. The majority of people who visit the Guild come here to improve their mapping skills and for this reason the tutorial section is probably the most visited section on the site.

Members contributing outstanding tutorials receive a small badge as a token of our appreciation together with a prefix [Award Winner] on their tutorial post. In addition to making it easier for people to find outstanding tutorials, the [Award Winner] prefix also makes it easier for us to identify those deserving tutorials which may have been overlooked.

Until now tutorial awards have been decided upon by the Community Leaders, based mainly on the amount of work put into the tutorial and feedback received on the thread. We would like tutorial awards to be more of a group effort.

If you find a tutorial that has been useful to you, please either leave feedback on the thread or better still, rate the thread using the star rating button on the menu bar above the thread. This will make it much easier for us CLs to identify tutorials which deserve an award.

I'd REALLY like to see thread ratings take more of a forefront anyways, so feel free to start getting comfy with the thread rating capabilities.

I think this tutorial push will do a LOT for the site by A) Enticing people to create tutorials, and B) drawing attention to the good ones.

Dumb question (ie, probably one for the FAQ), but where exactly does one see the rating for a particular thread????? Me no see it. Or is it an admin only thing?

Joe

ravells
07-01-2008, 09:36 AM
I believe that only when enough people (I don't know how many) have entered a rating for a thread it will appear next to the title. To rate the thread there is a drop down menu at the top of the thread.

jfrazierjr
07-01-2008, 10:37 AM
I believe that only when enough people (I don't know how many) have entered a rating for a thread it will appear next to the title. To rate the thread there is a drop down menu at the top of the thread.

Hmm... Arcana, whats the settings for showing rankings? I just happened to rank a tutorial before my question and noticed no change, hence the question....

Joe

Robbie
07-01-2008, 10:56 AM
Minimum was 5 ratings...I set it to 1...if it gets to be a bit much, I'll change it to something else...BUT...the minimum rating is designed to keep a thread from being considered a 5 thread when only one person thinks so. Which is a bit of a bias.

RPMiller
07-01-2008, 12:18 PM
I like the 5 ratings requirement as that shows that at least 5 people were willing to rate it thus it deserves a rating.

delgondahntelius
07-01-2008, 12:39 PM
This is a good suggestion for the FAQ .... urging users to set a rating if a tutorial worked for them....

jfrazierjr
07-01-2008, 12:40 PM
I like the 5 ratings requirement as that shows that at least 5 people were willing to rate it thus it deserves a rating.

I agree. I expect that the problem is that very few people really know about the rating system, so just don't do it. I think many people do rep instead, which is fine except its for a person while the rating is for a specific thread, and that separation is a good thing.

Joe

delgondahntelius
07-01-2008, 12:41 PM
hmm... see I set this to a five star rating so it immediately goes to a five star... I guess it averages out the stars when more people put thier own rating in it....

will they show half stars I wonder? .... not that this actually matters I guess :)

jfrazierjr
07-01-2008, 12:58 PM

hmmm, setting it to 5 helps to filter out people who rate their own work 5 stars. Of course, I have no idea of the software can prevent someone from rating the same thread twice in which case 1, 5, 500, it does not matter....

Joe

RPMiller
07-01-2008, 01:07 PM
hmmm, setting it to 5 helps to filter out people who rate their own work 5 stars. Of course, I have no idea of the software can prevent someone from rating the same thread twice in which case 1, 5, 500, it does not matter....

Joe
EDIT: You can only rerate a thread I just found out. You can't give it more than one rating.

jfrazierjr
07-01-2008, 01:42 PM
EDIT: You can only rerate a thread I just found out. You can't give it more than one rating.

Cool.... would make for some rather fun nights for a schizo though. "I give you a 5! No, now you deserve a 0, hah ha! Umm Now you are just plain average with a 3..."

Joe

Robbie
07-01-2008, 02:11 PM
Set it back to 5...because I agree that its good enough to weed out the tard-raters ;)

Also I can disable the ability to change a rating once you've rated...if necessary.

delgondahntelius
07-01-2008, 03:01 PM
Always happy to break the system so we can implement such useful techniques :D ... I like being the guy that breaks or otherwise seriously unhinges some loophole or rule... not to get away with anything but to show that it can be done and it needs to be addressed...

not exactly what I did here I know ... but I just thought I go off onto a tangent for your entertainment and otherwise take up valuable time that you could have spent doing something constructive....

Just think where you'd be right now if you hadn't had to stop and read my reply??? ... seee

makes sense now doesn't it?? :D

ravells
07-02-2008, 07:12 AM
The only problem is that by resetting it to a limit of 5 there are no stars showing at all.It might be worth re-setting the limit to a value where at least some stars appear next to tutorials (say 2 or 3?) so that people can see the stars and are more encouraged to rate. Presumably we can always adjust the limit upwards once more people start to rate the tutorials.

torstan
07-02-2008, 07:23 AM
Well if everyone who has posted in this thread rates the top few tutes on the page then we'll be straight over the 5 rating minimum and they'll start to show up already.

Robbie
07-02-2008, 07:50 AM
Well if everyone who has posted in this thread rates the top few tutes on the page then we'll be straight over the 5 rating minimum and they'll start to show up already.

Agreed! Gets to rating! I'll have a small change to the appearance of rating very soon.

ravells
07-02-2008, 08:44 AM
Good idea, I've already rated - get to it, you lot!

jfrazierjr
07-02-2008, 08:46 AM
Agreed! Gets to rating! I'll have a small change to the appearance of rating very soon.

I bumped a few... Torstan, you now have a 5 star thread!

Robbie
07-02-2008, 09:07 AM
Hey RobA...since you're the new icon master...how about some better thread rating graphics? hehe

Maybe 5 compasses instead of stars???

jfrazierjr
07-02-2008, 09:23 AM
Hey RobA...since you're the new icon master...how about some better thread rating graphics? hehe

I love that idea! But at the scale they would have to be, I am not sure if compasses will be really understood by some end users what they represent. This of course assumes that have not read our super lovely FAQ of which I am a member of the team.... Soo.. never mind what I said as I fully expect everyone to just read the darn FAQ, in which case they will know exactly what the new icons mean.

EDIT: oh, and I bow down before the great icon master...

Joe

RobA
07-02-2008, 11:26 AM

Original gif, antialiased against CG brown instead of the default blue:

Redrawn stars in CGish colours (png):

First go at compasses (png):

and I'll throw a darker tag in for free :) :

-Rob A>

jfrazierjr
10-13-2008, 03:12 PM
Original gif, antialiased against CG brown instead of the default blue:

Redrawn stars in CGish colours (png):

First go at compasses (png):

and I'll throw a darker tag in for free :) :

-Rob A>

hmmm did we ever decide to switch to this idea for the compasses instead of stars(and just not implemented yet) or is it still up in the air if we want to do it?

Robbie
10-13-2008, 04:06 PM
I never saw that post...see, yer already paying off!