PDA

View Full Version : [Region 1][Map 29] Mythkhardia

delgondahntelius
07-01-2008, 09:24 AM
Map to come soon along with the information on this place as well... How soon... is yet too tell

SeerBlue
07-01-2008, 09:59 AM
Great, it is good to see the CWBP is still growing. Love the name, by the way.
SeerBlue

delgondahntelius
07-01-2008, 01:28 PM
Thanks :D I happen to have quite a knack for names if I do say so myself... I originally wanted to spell it Mythkhardia and now that I type it out once more... I think I'll get Torq to change it over for me .... I do like that spelling better... early this morning it just looked like it may have had more questions on pronunciation than I wanted...

I like that better :D

Mythkhardia

jfrazierjr
07-01-2008, 02:44 PM
Thanks :D I happen to have quite a knack for names if I do say so myself... I originally wanted to spell it Mythkhardia and now that I type it out once more... I think I'll get Torq to change it over for me .... I do like that spelling better... early this morning it just looked like it may have had more questions on pronunciation than I wanted...

I like that better :D

Mythkhardia

YES! Silent 'h's ROCK! Go Del!!!!

Joe

delgondahntelius
07-01-2008, 02:46 PM
don't they? ...I'm a big fan of the silent H :D

jezelf
09-27-2008, 12:43 PM
hey there

just making an announcement that I'll be taking this area on. I've asked delgonahntelius and it's OK.

hope to get stuck in soon!

cheers
jez

jezelf
09-27-2008, 02:18 PM
Ok, I have a request.

I'm taking over from delgondahntelius on this area and it would be very handy if I could get my hands on some of this stuff ..

(Redrobes) colour ,height map and line contour
(NeonKnight) those very informative colour contour, climate, land coverage etc

here's some examples (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showpost.php?p=16498&postcount=2) of the above, and I'll probably work at a resolution of 1200x1200px.

additionally, I see there have been other disscussions on the following, but I can't see if anything is final...

major river flows
territorial boarders (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showpost.php?p=16508&postcount=102)
rainfall
occupied areas by various races,cities, towns, villages, forts etc.
any documentation on this area? (e.g specific terrain, like plague lands (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showpost.php?p=16220&postcount=26), swamps, creatures etc) that will probably detail all the of the above.

I also noticed that nothing looks set and I have some freedom - I've got my neighbouring maps as reference and will try and flow from those - but if there's anything I need to know about this area I can happily cater towards it.

Looking at the CWBP site, I can't see Mythkhardia in the list of index (http://cwbp.cartographersguild.com/index.php?title=Current_List) - is it under another name? or are these cities in the world? Also Im guessing the Region for map 29 is the Plauguelands? (http://cwbp.cartographersguild.com/index.php?title=Plaguelands)

thanks for your help!

jez

Redrobes
09-28-2008, 11:06 AM
Sure, ill edit them in here soon. Beat me with a reminder stick if they are'nt here within a few days...

Ok here we are... (if it doesnt crash on me)

Height (inc undersea), Height above sea only, Light (ask me if you want light in other direction), Color (The extents of the tile and where its sea) and example of relief shade just for the hell of it.

Oh yeah, dont think that a) these are absolute must not be touched - edit, change at will, and b) its more important to be continuous with neighbours than it is to stick to these tile samples but it would be good if you stick to the border of the tile shown as it can be put into the overmap easily - but even that is not a rigourous rule to obey. These are provided merely to possibly help if you so feel like it.

Airith
09-28-2008, 03:51 PM
I'm pretty sure you're on my eastern border, I might be a bit groggy it's the morning :)

Anyways I attached a map that a lot of people use as a reference, but of course everything's up to you. I think NeonKnight has the major riverflows in some file somewhere, I guess you should send him a PM.

jezelf
10-09-2008, 05:15 PM
thanks for the images! - I'll be working on this at the weekend, maybe sooner. hope to update soon.

cheers
jez

jezelf
10-09-2008, 08:42 PM
took some time tonight to work on the height map. tried to match up neighbouring rivers.

jezelf
10-16-2008, 09:37 AM
playing around in my lunch hour - making it look a bit 'plaugey' at the same time linking to my neighbour's colours. It's just a quick go at the moment, I'll be trying to match the colours better later.

what do you think? I'll probably experiment with more vile (though balanced) colours to suggest more dieased or plauged terrain.

BTW, is there any preference as to the cites and towns etc or do I just bung stuff in I make up?

Jkaen
10-16-2008, 09:58 AM
I think thats a fair go at making things look plaguey without going into finer detail

jfrazierjr
10-16-2008, 10:42 AM
BTW, is there any preference as to the cites and towns etc or do I just bung stuff in I make up?

Make them up. As long as the border areas match up somewhat with existing neighbors areas, you can do pretty much whatever you want history/name wise. This is of course assuming someone has not previously created a city/town for the region yet in another thread.

StillCypher
10-16-2008, 12:39 PM
I think this is a most excellent start. I'm totally jealous of how realistic you've got this looking. As far as making it look "plaguey" (and pardon me if I'm way out there on this or I've completely overlooked some tidbit of information -- which I'm prone to doing. ), but is the land itself suffering the plague, or the people in it?

jezelf
10-17-2008, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the input folks!

I'm totally jealous of how realistic you've got this looking.

It's achievable to all and most of the credit can go to Wilbur. I put up a basic guide to the process in my entry for last month's challenge - you can see it here http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2942&page=2 except I started with the source material generously provided by Redrobes

is the land itself suffering the plague, or the people in it?

I don't know. I'll have to look at the texts again. I think it's the land - there's sketch for the regions done and this area (actually it's more to the west and this is a small part of it) says 'plague lands' I assumed it was the terrain.

I'm looking forward to a different look to green. I keep thinking of the scene in John Borman's Excalibur - when they are on the grail quest and the land is dying - lots of bare trees, fog, and mud.

I'm also tempted to make the coastline recede, so it's so plagued that even the sea retracts from this area. Dunno yet as that might not make sense geologically - but if it's a fantasy land, then the laws of nature as we know it could be suspended??? - Anyone with more academic knowledge is welcome to comment. I'm tempted to play with it, but I don’t want it to look ridiculous.

I might just have a go and post it up anyway - see what everyone thinks. Sometimes you need to explore ideas to see if they work or not.

thanks again for the feedback

jez

jezelf
10-17-2008, 10:03 AM
still trying things out, but managed to get this far in my lunch hour..

Added a new step to my ever evolving map making method in PS. for those interested -

1: copied the exported height map form Wilbur
2: blurred, smart blur or surface blured for low lands, smoothing them out.
3: erased away with a soft, feathered brush to bring through areas I wanted shaper and played with the opacity of the layer.
4: merged to create a new heightmap (though always retain the orginal from Wilbur)
5: Filter/ Stylize / Emboss filter : Angle to match Wilbur's relief. Height 3. Amount 500%
6: blended the result layer with the grayscale (desturated Wilbur colour map) - it gives a better relief.

the sea area was done seperatley on another layer with Filter/Sketch/Bass Relief . the coastline was stroked with a 2pixel line and blured a bit - I dont like it, but it covers up some bad highlighting from the above steps - so it's a quick fix to hide that, but it wont be in the final image.

I'm currently just experiementing with the coastline - the water is blury, but I'll need to do a bit of research before giving it a harder edge - might make shallow then deep areas - don't know yet. will probably make dry rivers too (where they don't lead from my neighbour's maps)

it's all still very much WIP and could change again.

Torq
10-17-2008, 10:09 AM
Wow Jezelf. Great result and use of Wilbur. The outcome is great looking. I particularly like the brownish shallow water. It looks dirty and plaguish. I did notice that you've still got the blue straight lines that Wilbur makes with rivers in flat areas, that are showing through the water.

Torq

Jkaen
10-17-2008, 10:25 AM
I assume its a temporary stage as well, but the black outline on (most) of the coast is too strong and overpowering

jezelf
10-17-2008, 01:19 PM
hi again

Torq: Cheers. yeah the whole water area is temp those lines wont be there at the end.

Jkaen: yep - as I mention, it's just a quick fix that won't be there in the end. it's not helping, I agree. what was there without the stroke was even more anoyingly distracting.

The above version was more some mucking about in my lunch hour trying ideas to further. Thanks for your input though - its good to know our thoughts on those bit you mention are the same coz it helps me know I'm thinking along the right lines.

cheers

jezelf
10-17-2008, 02:45 PM
some more mucking about - trying out some pollution from the land into the sea and some work on the coast line.

the idea being the land is so plauged it will try and infect other areas by what ever means it can

done by masking off the sea, adding some colours and the smudge tool

jfrazierjr
10-17-2008, 02:49 PM
some more mucking about - trying out some pollution from the land into the sea and some work on the coast line.

the idea being the land is so plauged it will try and infect other areas by what ever means it can

done by masking off the sea, adding some colours and the smudge tool

Smudge tool ROCKS!!! I love smudge tool.

jfrazierjr
10-17-2008, 02:50 PM
Smudge tool ROCKS!!! I love smudge tool.

Oh yea.. Masks ROCK too....

RobA
10-17-2008, 03:21 PM
...and using the smudge tool on a mask REALLY ROCKS...

(sorry, couldn't resist...)

-Rob A>

jfrazierjr
10-17-2008, 03:29 PM
...and using the smudge tool on a mask REALLY ROCKS...

(sorry, couldn't resist...)

-Rob A>

That it does.... now.. we just have to get people to start using masks and the smudge tool...

Did I mention that I am working on a tutorial for using Layer Masks in GIMP (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3143) and Del is following up with one on Layer Masks in PS (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3148)? The two are complimentary in an effort to get people to start really thinking about what layer masks are for(err.. masking things) and when you should use them (most of the time), regardless of which software you use.

Steel General
10-17-2008, 03:34 PM
Good gods! Masks and the smudge tool too??

I can already smell the brain cells starting to fry. :D

Oh yeah, by the way, that map looks great - very polluted.

jfrazierjr
10-17-2008, 03:43 PM
Good gods! Masks and the smudge tool too??

I can already smell the brain cells starting to fry. :D

Oh yeah, by the way, that map looks great - very polluted.

Ergggg... you screwed me up with the new Avatar there....

No.... no brain cells need to die... It really is simple.... just go take a look at the tutorials..... Pretty much(but not all) anything can use on a regular layer, you an use on a layer mask. This includes the smudge tool. This is a great way to get some selective blending without using a layer mask wide Gaussian Blur. For example, you would in Torqs current map, if he used a sand layer with a layer mask, you would not want to use a layermask Gaussian Blur since then the sand would be lightly covering the tops of the walls of the buildings (and thus you loose the hard edge of the building shape. Using the smudge tool allows you to "draw" some of the color out manually where you need to. Of course, you could just paint brush some white (to allow the sand to show through),varying the opacity of the brush(but this is a huge pain without a pressure sensitive tablet), where as the smudge tool can accomplish this fairly easy after a bit of playing with the rate. Of course, you could also use a B/W gradient with a pixel fade also.... Of course.... I jusst like the smudge tool.. so would just use that instead of trying to think of other ways to do it....

Steel General
10-17-2008, 05:42 PM
Yeah I know, I'm going to put an effort into figuring out the whole mask thing, I did it once before when I tried to learn FLASH years ago. I can do it again...I was just being a smarty-pants. :)

jezelf
10-17-2008, 06:44 PM
hi

yeah the smudge tool can be used and abused. Actually looking at that pic I attached eariler I think I went over the top myself as it's a bit too much black, so I'll tone it down a bit.

You can also use the smudge tool to help create your height maps. For example, if you are doing your mountain range you can smudge the bases of them outwards. Further more, if you paint some darker dots there and then smudge you can quickly help add errosion.

Also try using different brushes when you smudge - speckled, flat, feathered etc. which can get different effects.

I sometimes also use the smudge tool on hard pixels when I don't want to blur them. Also adjust the strength to suit your needs if you're finding it the right effect, but too much.

Masks are great and I use them all the time in both the layers and chanels palette - they help gve you more control over various areas of your work. I generally use them to isolate areas to work on, and if used to create a selection I also use that to make a stroke.

If you find you copy layers and delete stuff from them, rather than delete, you can add a quick mask in the layers palette and using black, paint in the mask and it'll be like you're deleting. The good thing is that you're not destroying the copied version in the process and you can bring back areas by painting back over in the black areas in white - if you deleted you can get that back.

jezelf
10-20-2008, 09:59 AM
Tweaked around a bit with this and that. exaggerated some shadows etc. I might flattern some areas out. was thinking of adding some sulphur lakes. the terrain reminds me of a trek I once did in New Zealand - same as this guys shows in his blog - http://www.travelblog.org/Oceania/New-Zealand/North-Island/Tongariro-National-Park/blog-111024.html

The sulphur lakes looked clean, but stunk like stink bombs -well, like sulphur :-) - so I might put an area or a dozen lakes or so in like that. Perhaps around the middle left mountain. I also like the spearhead ridge that's appeared now on the middle right. I'll probably put a fort or something on the top overlooking the river and sea below.

Still troubles with the highlights on the coast line. Overall a bunch of stuff is bugging me, but getting there - see if I can work on it a bit more after work.

jezelf
10-21-2008, 05:40 PM
Some more mucking about at lunch time.

put in some sulphur lakes and gave the land some brusin' at an attempt to indicate poor old mother earth an't too well in these parts - wanted to work on a bit of mood rather than have the need to write 'plagued lands' all over it - so you get an idea venturing here might not be such a good idea.

Smeared the coast line a bit to try and get some beach but not happy with that - I'll need to look at some reference. Blue rivers need some work.

Not sure about this progress. I'll have another dabble tomorrow. Might pull back some of this as I feel Iím overworking a bit. Definitely don't like the smear coast stuff, but I didn't like the hard pixels either.

Torq
10-21-2008, 06:10 PM
Jezelf, I think the coastline looks very good. I love the smudged plague-like effect and the sense that the water is becoming fouled. I dont think you should give up on that idea.

Torq

Steel General
10-21-2008, 06:11 PM
I agree with Torq.

jezelf
10-22-2008, 09:56 AM
some more minor changes.

brought back in some rivers albeit purple in places (to make it look like veins on a bruise) , added a bit more contrast on the central area to give some variation is geology and lightedn the sea at the top to meet my neighbour there better.

Probably almost done for this part and will start adding place names etc next.

StillCypher
10-23-2008, 12:35 PM
Looking very -- I was going to say 'nice,' but plague lands aren't really nice, are they? :D So... It's looking very dire. In a good way. Heh.

jezelf
10-25-2008, 11:33 AM
Thank for the feedback, folks!

Here's the latest - Just put map area, city and town/village names down. I found myself sitting around for at least 30 minutes trying to come up with names and thought about trying out an idea: Put the map area name into an online anagram generator. I used Andy's anagram solver (http://www.ssynth.co.uk/~gay/anagott.html) and then used the results to make names up by mixing up bits here and there. It means the place names have some relation to the region. My other method used before is to think of fictional surnames and features on the land, but it just takes longer to pick them out of thin air. I try not to use real place names.

Also been reading through some of the texts on East Groam - CWBP (http://cwbp.cartographersguild.com/index.php?title=East_Groam) and trying to illustrate some of that there with the abandoned places faded out and in another colour to the more 'healthier' places. Also to include some established places along the "mountain strongholds where they are better suited to defend themselves against the sufferers of the plague" - all the places starting with "A" - Imagined in the local language it would be like 'New-' e.g: York ---> New York & England ---> New England. you get the idea.

next step is to put in names for the sea, rivers and landscape features and then it's done. If anyone already has ideas for these - or if my naming is not set with any convention I may have missed I can easily change them. Feel free to doodle over a previous post of the map to illustrate where you would like changes. Not sure about putting in trails and roads for this one - depends if they are a requirement, seems like there's a mixture on the other finished tiles - I might, dunno - what do you think? In any case I hope to be done before the weekend is over.

Hope you like.
Cheers
Jez

jezelf
10-25-2008, 03:45 PM
FINAL IMAGE

Here it is - hope it's OK. This map has helped move my skills further along a bit, a few other things learnt. Look forward to doing another.

Cheers for giving me a shot.

jez

Steel General
10-25-2008, 04:01 PM
Very nice Jezelf!

Love the watermark-like 'Mythkardia' that curves across the map.

jezelf
10-25-2008, 04:51 PM
cheers.

Yeah I like how the area name came out. On my Buncklebury map it was a filled black with the opacity turned down which felt too dominant this time. I actually tried a displacement map using the grey scale height map first, but it didn't come across very well - I might find a way to use a displacement map on the next one - boundary lines sounds like a good reason :) - if there any to be added to this map I'll try it out.

ta
jez

Torq
10-25-2008, 04:56 PM
Excellent work Jezelf. A great addition to the ever-growing compendium of work that the CWBP is becoming.

Torq

Ascension
10-26-2008, 11:07 AM
All I have to say is awesome. Well thought out and well executed. Excellent job. I bonk thee with my upgraded mace of repping +2.