PDA

View Full Version : The Kingdom of Ashen

Miranda Hartrampf
07-15-2013, 01:50 AM

Hello everyone!

This is my completed first map project! The Kingdom of Ashen.

I was so excited to finally get something out of my mind and created! I just wanted to thank everyone for their comments on my WIP as well as for the great tutorials that helped me.

As with all the maps i dare to create, they are inspired by or help me to inspire my writing. This was originally for a story of my called Luminaries, however it's kinda grown into a beast of its own. So who knows where i'll take this map next!

Here is the link to the W.I.P (http://www.cartographersguild.com/regional-world-mapping/23967-kingdom-ashen-wip-3.html)

arsheesh
07-15-2013, 05:59 AM
Nice job on this Miranda. One minor critique is that the shallow water glow you have going on seems to cut off abruptly underneath the Adama islands.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Freodin
07-15-2013, 06:15 AM
Hm... strange... the rep went out, but my previous post seems to have got eaten by the internet. ;)

I really like your idea of making the dots for the road of different size. Fits the map to, err, a dot!

Eilathen
07-15-2013, 07:12 AM
Congrats on your first finished project, Miranda :) I don't think the forum will let me rep you again so soon (have to spread it around a little first), but have a "like".

Maybe it's just my screen, but the map is a bit dark. I think it could benefit from an overall brightening of the colors.
As i already said, i like the continent shape.

You said the map is for a story of yours? Care to tell us a bit about it?

Schwarzkreuz
07-15-2013, 08:48 AM
Thats good to finish maps up. What comes next?

- Max -
07-15-2013, 09:48 AM
Pretty good for your first finished map. Though I concur with Eilathen about the overall map being too dark. Also labels would need more work to be clearly readable. For instance why using black font with a white outerglow on a dark map when you could use a light color font instead? ). The labels on the right of the map looks stucked against the border so I'd have expand the map a bit to give it more room and better composition balance.

Miranda Hartrampf
07-15-2013, 03:50 PM
So for now I'm done with this map! I'm creatively burnt out. If i revisit this ill take in all your suggestions! Thank you for the tips!

@Arsheesh - you know i have been putting off fixing that and i thought i would get it before i posted my final and i guess i just forgot! Thanks for reminding me

@Eilathen - essentially I'm trying to combine a fantasy adventure with a dramatic tragedy fulled by the sun and moon dying off.

@Schwarzkreuz - well i started another project The Privince of Urne (http://www.cartographersguild.com/regional-world-mapping/24003-province-urne.html) - which was the original continent name for this story. I guess im just going to play around with map making untill im ready to stop. Maybe when i get better or feel like im better ill do monthly challenges!

@Max - yes it does look dark, ill fix it one day :) and thank you for the labeling tip!

Lyandra
07-16-2013, 11:07 AM
Congratulations on finishing your first map Miranda! I really like it, I think the mountains are my favourite part of it^^, they make the map so much more interesting to look at. I'm looking forward to seeing where your next project takes you. :)