PDA

View Full Version : UK administrative map, 1947

Ares96
07-20-2013, 10:17 AM
I'm currently making a series of administrative maps of the UK based on the Commons maps (they're excellent, but only cover individual countries, plus they're PNGs, so not conveniently editable). The one I'm working on at the moment is set around 1947 or thereabouts - almost nothing was changed between 1939 and 1952, so it could be at any point there in between - and when I'm done with it, it'll show all the counties, county boroughs and municipal boroughs (the Scottish ones were called burghs, but it's virtually the same thing). The style I'm going for is a utilitarian one, similar to that of the maps I'm basing the whole thing on.

Latest WiP is this:

Viking
07-21-2013, 08:16 AM
It looks good so far Ares. What software are you using for it?

Ares96
07-21-2013, 12:11 PM
It looks good so far Ares. What software are you using for it?

PDN. By now I've finished up Ireland and added more burghs in Scotland (the Borders are basically done). Last but not least, the London inset has been added;

Chlodowech
07-21-2013, 01:02 PM
Yes, and if you research the administrative centres of some Welsh counties, you might know why those counties don't exist anymore :D

New Radnor, the ancient administrative centre of Radnorshire (now part of Powys):

http://history.powys.org.uk/images/presteigne/6newra3.gif

(The town hasn't really grown since that time)

Ares96
07-21-2013, 01:21 PM
Yes, and if you research the administrative centres of some Welsh counties, you might know why those counties don't exist anymore :D

New Radnor, the ancient administrative centre of Radnorshire (now part of Powys):

http://history.powys.org.uk/images/presteigne/6newra3.gif

(The town hasn't really grown since that time)

Yeah, the Welsh counties were probably decent fiefs for the Marcher Lords, but since then they haven't been much use as subdivisions. These days Glamorgan and Gwent (which is more or less coterminous with Monmouthshire), put together, have a slightly higher population than all the other counties. They could at least have kept them around as lieutenancy areas though. The "new" counties break my cartographer heart with their largeness and non-byzantineness.

Chlodowech
07-21-2013, 02:20 PM
The "new" counties break my cartographer heart with their largeness and non-byzantineness.

Cumbria, what is that? Westmorland forever :D

Greater Manchester? Forget it, that's Lancashire :D

Ares96
07-21-2013, 02:47 PM
Cumbria, what is that? Westmorland forever :D

Greater Manchester? Forget it, that's Lancashire :D

Cromartyshire (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cromartyshire) forever. You don't make contiguous units of administration; it takes all the sport out of actually administrating them.

Ares96
08-08-2013, 07:55 PM
New WIP. I've finished the Scottish coastline (islands are still left to do though) and, more importantly, I've begun work on the key.

ravells
08-09-2013, 03:39 AM
This is superb, Ares. Really crisp and legible.

Freodin
08-09-2013, 06:32 AM
The numbers on the map are a little small - one or two points more for the font would be helpful for poor old eyes like mine.

The rest of the map though.... superb is the correct term!

Ares96
11-24-2013, 07:08 AM
The numbers on the map are a little small - one or two points more for the font would be helpful for poor old eyes like mine.

The rest of the map though.... superb is the correct term!

'Fraid I can't make them much bigger. Crowded metropolitan areas like the Black Country or West Yorkshire make it impossible, lest I'll have to resort to using lines. Since the map isn't in vector, that means I can't make it larger than it is either.

Incidentally, I've almost finished the map by now. All of the islands except the Shetlands and most of the Orkneys have been completed, and the key is done for England and Wales.

Thorf
12-27-2013, 12:15 AM
Very nice. :)

If I could make a few suggestions... First, why not place Orkney and Shetland where they actually lie? Coming from Orkney, I am obviously biased about this, but it always seems a shame to move them out of context.

The positioning of countries within the key is a little confusing. It might make more sense to list Scotland at the top, then Northern Ireland, then England and Wales at the bottom, putting the labels much closer to their numbers.

For similar reasons, the London inset might be better placed in the bottom right, closer to its actual location on the map.

Lastly, you could solve some of the tiny number readability problem by placing the numbers beside the areas they apply to. This would also help prevent them from obscuring the borders on the map.

Keep up the good work!

Ares96
09-09-2014, 04:20 PM
Very nice. :)

If I could make a few suggestions... First, why not place Orkney and Shetland where they actually lie? Coming from Orkney, I am obviously biased about this, but it always seems a shame to move them out of context.

Well, the reason for that is somewhat simple: I wanted to conserve space. However, I later needed some extra space to expand the key, so I decided to put Orkney where it should be (it's right off the coast anyway, so it doesn't really change much) while still leaving Shetland in an inset because of its somewhat remote location.

The positioning of countries within the key is a little confusing. It might make more sense to list Scotland at the top, then Northern Ireland, then England and Wales at the bottom, putting the labels much closer to their numbers.

For similar reasons, the London inset might be better placed in the bottom right, closer to its actual location on the map.

Changing the entire index around would, I think, be too much of a hassle (it was already difficult enough moving them around to get them all to fit in the boxes), but I suppose I might do that in the future. I did change the London inset though, and it does indeed look a bit better there, as well as provide a more even-looking index.

Lastly, you could solve some of the tiny number readability problem by placing the numbers beside the areas they apply to. This would also help prevent them from obscuring the borders on the map.

Keep up the good work!

I decided to do that, and also up the size of the numbers while I was at it.