PDA

View Full Version : Tavern/Inn WIP

MeFanch
07-22-2013, 05:22 PM
Hello all, Just trying my hand at a little Tavern/Inn for my gaming group. I'm "hoping" to go for a bit of an antique hand drawn style.
Just starting, so.. yeah. No labeling yet, and as this is my first toss at this; I'm more or less just winging things at the wall to see what sticks.

Any suggestions are obviously greatly appreciated.

Jacktannery
07-22-2013, 05:31 PM
Suggestion: grid should go under walls and furniture. I like your avatar.

MeFanch
07-22-2013, 05:39 PM
Yeah... :( I noticed that right after I post this, the grid was not quite what I was hoping. Changed it to overlay and it looks a bit better. Moving it beneath as you suggested improves it yet again.

Thanks much for the avatar compliment. I enjoy doodling, though like everything I do it's a constant WIP.

Jacktannery
07-22-2013, 05:55 PM
More suggestions: in most cases it is not clear what the objects are supposed to represent; for example the tables (?) in the booths (?) in the lower-right have bold lines top and bottom but not to the left, which might be representative of.. unclear. Another issue is your stairs - I love your minimalistic style and pared back palette but it takes a few moments to work out which way is up, which is not ideal in a playable encounter map.

MeFanch
07-23-2013, 11:09 PM
Updated Floor 1 - Some minor changes, hopefully fixing a little of the issues you mentioned Jack (missing lines on the left of the booth tables). I haven't added any labels yet which should (theoretically) clear up more of the confusion for the tables and booths.

Floor 1: 56324

Floor 2: 56325

MeFanch
07-24-2013, 10:46 AM
I think I'm done.
Anyone have any suggestions, tips, additions?

Jacktannery
07-24-2013, 02:12 PM
Very nice - great job.

Scot Harvest
07-28-2013, 12:23 AM
TIP: if you are going for a "hand drawn" look.... stay away from PERFECT lines.

Inconsistencies are the norm in real hand drawn stuff.

Your tavern looks old style but has the perfection of a draftsman!

That being said NICE JOB! I love the parchment and ink look you have.

jtougas
11-24-2013, 10:49 AM
Having created a few ;) taverns and inns in my life I can say that this looks great. The layout is very nice and the style is fantastic. I would agree with the comment that it looks a little too "perfect" but if that's your style and you (and your players) like it and can use it for what it is intended for then it's a map. Great job. :)

KenG
11-29-2013, 11:50 AM
Looks great I like the paper and ink a lot.
Have you tried just putting the grid under the rooms, and not one the whole page?

Tracker
01-03-2014, 07:44 PM
Hello:
It looks good. The only thing I would add is a privacy or a door to a midden pit.

Tracker