PDA

View Full Version : WIP scalable Map of Continent - a source for stories and maps

randigpanzrall
07-24-2013, 05:16 PM
Dear Community,

For a long period Iīm working on this continent and I think there is much more time neccessary. But to introduce my project, Iīll show you the ongoing efforts to share the pain, fun and attraction and to get interesting feedback. For so far I was just a follower of the many great projects here, now itīs time to start something for my own

The northern part of this continent is worked out an shown in the following pictures. Its the northern region from tundra to desert regions in the south.

The project is done in Illustrator so far and Iīm interested in your opinions

and now closer:

and focussing on the great Lake region:

Diamond
07-24-2013, 06:05 PM
Wow, that's really great. That to me is the most awesome thing about Illustrator, that you can scale up and down like this. That's the main reason I want to get that program.

Viking
07-24-2013, 06:17 PM
This is amazing work so far. I can't imagine how long this has taken so far given it is vector art!

randigpanzrall
07-24-2013, 06:25 PM
This is amazing work so far. I can't imagine how long this has taken so far given it is vector art!

Well, in fact itīs about a half year of work. I think there will be another half year to get it done, but my intention is to focus on some regions later for some other kind of maps and maybe for some stories ... in the background there are some roots like climate cards, nations an ethnics etc. I will attach this from time to time, supporting the ongoing work

Falconius
07-24-2013, 11:29 PM
That is incredible. What an unbelievable amount of work you've put into this, I look forward to seeing how if progresses. And also can't wait for labels, you have some interesting features there.

Azelor
07-26-2013, 11:04 AM
All just with Illustrator, I'm impressed !

randigpanzrall
08-05-2013, 03:25 PM
Now another example,

itīs an island, nearly as big as Great Britain, with some parallels in history, too. The island has quite a good standard for the time of the world and the inhabitants are from 80% "celtic" equivalents and 20 % of "germanic" equivalents. The large eastern panhandle protected the island against southern aggressors of a nation similar to the roman empire in the past, which couldīt manage to invade the island. but which took some of the islandīs former possessions on the continent. So far for the history.

Next things for the continent will be the climatic surroundings and the basics in clima zones in order to create a realistic continent...

randigpanzrall
08-06-2013, 05:16 PM
To look at the whole planet, I start with the climate. First the initial clima-zones with low grade of climatic detailization an without looking at major winds and sea-currents at the moment. The large eastern continent is not yet a finished version but for the moment itīll do. The planet in fact has a certain imbalance on landmasses, the southern hemisphere wasnīt covered with much land, while the northern has some land.

What do you think? Any apparent mistakes at this moment ? Tipps? Ideas?

Thank you so far

Azelor
08-06-2013, 05:38 PM
It seems alright. Nice projection map btw. If it's just the major climate zone, you don't need to be precise because there is a lot of differences in each zone. The difference between a savana climate and a tropical rainforest for example. They are both under the tropics, generally but are really different.

If you use something more advanced such as the Koppen climate zone classification, then yes you will need to be more precise and there are more things to consider.

Gumboot
08-06-2013, 09:43 PM
As far as climate, the one thing that strikes me is that there's very little land mass, particularly in the south. That has a pretty significant affect on global climate, lowering temperatures. Even on earth the southern hemisphere is notably colder than the north because of this. Bear in mind that many climate maps of the world end at the southern tip of South America, but in the north extend all the way to the North Pole. That's quite a distortion; Cape Horn is at 56 S; a lower latitude than most of Russia, all of Scandanavia, Greenland, Alaska, and half of Canada. As a result it conceals the off-centre position of the climate zones.

Compare, for example, the climate of Porto (Portugal) and Wellington (NZ). Both are coastal cities, and both at about the same latitude, but their climates are hugely different.

randigpanzrall
08-07-2013, 03:12 AM
Hi Gumboot,

youīre absolutely right, the clima settings of my planet will differ from the earthīs. The influences of wind and sea currents are very large and in the south of my planet, the cold currents can flow quite good, even a little bit better than on earth. Wellington for example or New Zealand generally is influenced by cold sea currents while at Porto, there are the warm currents. There are lots of things Iīll have to pass through, until I have a kind of logic clima and in fact, when my planet has a comparable sun to ours and when it has some similar distance to the sun and comparable size, it would be colder than our world maybe, maybe itīs even closer to a glacial period and withot global warming... I will talk to a geograph in some weeks and maybee heīll take a look at my planet. Thank you so far for your excellent remarks.

Eilathen
08-07-2013, 05:18 AM
A very interesting project. I really like the worldmap...cool continental shapes. Looking forward to more.
Have some Rep.!

Azelor
08-07-2013, 12:37 PM
As far as climate, the one thing that strikes me is that there's very little land mass, particularly in the south. That has a pretty significant affect on global climate, lowering temperatures. Even on earth the southern hemisphere is notably colder than the north because of this. Bear in mind that many climate maps of the world end at the southern tip of South America, but in the north extend all the way to the North Pole. That's quite a distortion; Cape Horn is at 56 S; a lower latitude than most of Russia, all of Scandanavia, Greenland, Alaska, and half of Canada. As a result it conceals the off-centre position of the climate zones.

Compare, for example, the climate of Porto (Portugal) and Wellington (NZ). Both are coastal cities, and both at about the same latitude, but their climates are hugely different.

And most maps use the mercator projection meaning that Groenland in as big as Africa while it's something like 3 or 4 times smaller. But here, it should not be a problem.

randigpanzrall
08-08-2013, 06:27 PM
And now for water currents - my first ideas

There are two specialities influencing the currents:

01 The Tudoraī Aomaly, which was a relict of the sunken continent of Tudoraī. Here are some majaor islands together with thousands of little islands and the water depht is from a few cm to several meters

02 The Breach, which was a breakthrough through the middle continent, once shrewd by the gods of light to protect mankind on the continent from the dark hordes and the Renegade-Gods, itīs from 20 to 50 km wide and with deep water.

Iīm not pretty sure whether my ideas were correct so please feel free to comment

Gumboot
08-08-2013, 07:58 PM
And now for water currents - my first ideas

There are two specialities influencing the currents:

01 The Tudoraī Aomaly, which was a relict of the sunken continent of Tudoraī. Here are some majaor islands together with thousands of little islands and the water depht is from a few cm to several meters

02 The Breach, which was a breakthrough through the middle continent, once shrewd by the gods of light to protect mankind on the continent from the dark hordes and the Renegade-Gods, itīs from 20 to 50 km wide and with deep water.

Iīm not pretty sure whether my ideas were correct so please feel free to comment

Looks pretty good to me, I only really have one point;

I think you should consider a three-grade colour system for better illustration of the currents; warm, cold, and neutral. The classification doesn't so much relate to whether the water is warm or not, but how the temperature of the current relates to the temperature of the water around it. So all east-west currents should be neutral, all currents away from the equator should be warm, and all currents towards the equator should be cold. Currently you have warm and cold currents in all three directions.

Like this map:

File:Corrientes-oceanicas.gif - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Corrientes-oceanicas.gif)

So if we take one example current; your southern equatorial current, starting at the eastern side of the map, it should be black as it heads across the big ocean, then when it hits the continent that's kind of like Australia it should go red as it curves away south until it meets your circumpolar current in the south which should again be black, back out across the map to the east and back in on the far side where it turns blue as it curves north up the coast of that long skinny island until it joins the southern equatorial current and returns to black again for its return across the big ocean.

Older current maps for earth use the two colours but for me it misrepresents the currents, for example as your current comes down the east coast of "Australia" it turns from warm to cold, but the current is still going to be warmer than the seas it is coming into so it should really still be a "warm" current.

randigpanzrall
08-09-2013, 09:21 AM
Well Gumboot,

thank you for your comment.

Youīre right, of cause there are warmer cold and colder warm currents, but to choose a three-grade-system wonīt change the things too much I think. There is even one question, why not to mark the equatorial currents as warm currents, when they are in fact warm. I think, both versions will do so far and in order to create the clima zones for my planet, my version will do, I hope. (As far as my current scenario is not wrong itself)

Gumboot
08-09-2013, 10:04 AM
Well Gumboot,

thank you for your comment.

Youīre right, of cause there are warmer cold and colder warm currents, but to choose a three-grade-system wonīt change the things too much I think. There is even one question, why not to mark the equatorial currents as warm currents, when they are in fact warm. I think, both versions will do so far and in order to create the clima zones for my planet, my version will do, I hope. (As far as my current scenario is not wrong itself)

Of course, it doesn't really fundamentally change anything, it's purely a case of how the information is displayed. :)

Korash
08-09-2013, 10:29 AM
I just saw this. Great work. :) Reppable even.

I do have a question though. At first I thought that the red lines were roads, bringing certain points to mind, but looking at the earlier maps posted I am no longer sure that is the case. If they are indeed roads, looking at the "Britain" map, I think that there are too many crisscrossing the mountains, with one ON the ridge line of the mountains.I would think that the roads would follow the river systems much as they could. Given that I believe that there would be 1 road going from NW to SW with others branching off when the rivers get close to the main road. There should be many more roads on the lower elevations that the higher ones. Please ignore the above if they are NOT roads, but some clarification would be appreciated.

randigpanzrall
08-09-2013, 01:41 PM
Hi korash,

The red lines are indeed the provincial borders of this kingdom. They are not fix for the moment but this island is a kingdom which subdivides into several provinces or Shires. The roads and other labbelings were not yet ready..

randigpanzrall
08-12-2013, 06:30 PM

And now on tectonics.

You can see, how the world is divided into tectonic plates and of course they have a strong influence in Volcanoes an Earthquakes. Especially the mid-western Archiples, which are in fact left-overs of an early continent, are heavily influenced on tectonic movements. In the North, where the Gods of Light created "The Breach" by cutting through the middle continent, they forced the northernmost plate to turn about 100 km or so into the north-eastern direction. As you can imagine, this didnīt left the world unharmed and it last about three centuries or more to cure the flora and fauna and to make the world and the continent a place to live again.

Feel free to comment

randigpanzrall
08-15-2013, 04:22 PM
Today Iīm fighting with the pressure and wind on my planet, one thing, that Iīm not too personal with. First little map is the situation in July, when the sun hits its northermost "position" and is to see in zenith at 23,5 degrees north.

So for that we got summer at the northern hemisphere and the air warms up over the middle continent and especially the larger eastern continent. That means, there the warm air goes up over there and so we got zones of low pressure. In this regions the air is cooling down while getting up and some more or less strong rains are reportet. In zones of high pressure the cold winds fall down again and get warmer, so when they hit the ground they are more or less dry.

So, thatīs whow I get it, but Iīm not sure if my map implements it the right way- So, of course critic is highly recommendet, in order to get a functional climatic system.

Thank you very much

Naeddyr
08-16-2013, 03:12 AM
Oh wow.

Ten points and a parrot badge.

randigpanzrall
08-16-2013, 08:35 AM
This means it looks good or it seems to be right ? ;)
The second would be more important, the first more pleasant ...

Naeddyr
08-16-2013, 11:38 AM
It looks good.

And it feels correct.

The best kind of correct.

randigpanzrall
08-26-2013, 05:13 PM
Now letīs have a look at the rain in July:

and this is the wind situation in January, when the summer is in the south:

and the rain situation is the following;

So thatīs my idea of this, but as usual, critics are welcome...

So the next step will be a return to the climatic zones and a better detailization with the background of winds, currents an rain

randigpanzrall
09-06-2013, 10:29 PM
Well,

as promised, my climate map - First attempt. Iīm not too close to that topic so I ask you, if you find something, that looks wrong or impossible. It would be a great help and I know some of you are good climatic cooks. So any comment will help me...

Thank you very much

Ilanthar
09-07-2013, 10:54 AM
That's a very good and detailed concept Randigpanzrall !

Clean maps and perfectly adapted to their purpose. I have to say that I love the world design and shape of continents.
Always surprised when I stumbled on something like this, I'm gonna follow your york with pleasure!

kurtzknight
09-07-2013, 12:31 PM
The other day I found my old Goode's World Atlas and it made me think of doing a project like yours, but i figured I would never have enough time to make all the different maps, but now that I have found your work I think i will give it a shot.

Great work and thanks for the inspiration

vorropohaiah
09-11-2013, 01:09 AM
now this is worldbuilding on a macro-scale that i can get behind! great stuff and you can really see the level of thought that has gone into this world. I cant offer much in terms of crit, but everything seems fine to me, particularly the wind-zones and climate (which are things I've toiled over on my own world for some time. Really great work!

The weather might be a bit extreme around the edges of the map due to the lack of large landmasses (doldrums, monsoons, tropical cyclones etc.)

I have to ask - do you ahve more in terms of world history and culture crafted, or are you working from the outside in - starting with global stuff like climate, tectonics etc. and then moving down? very interesting stuff

Maezar
09-11-2013, 01:53 AM
Are the elevations all dreamed up and drawn by hand or are you using some algorithms for assistance? Would love to know a bit about your very nice technique!

randigpanzrall
09-25-2013, 05:42 PM
To control and immerse the thoughts on climate, I look the world up again on the Lauer and Frankenberg Method. This is a Budget-Method, what means, it differs the clima into the different Thermal and Hydrological Budgets. Or more simply it generates areas with similar degrees of continentalization plus similar hydrological conditions.This devides the world into about 42 Regions which are highly comparable in climate diagrams and of course in the potential vegetation.

Because my next step will be the focussing on my worlds vegetation, this is a very important step in forming the potential vegetation - and later the real vegetation (the vegetation formed and influenced by the time, its inhabitants, catastrophies and of course mystical impacts)

As usual show me, when youīre not agreed.

And to reffer to vorropohaiah: I Think I started at the beginning. But as mentioned above, the second next step is the first step with influences from history, or generally from the inhabitants. For example the island-kingdom from this threads first page: It has a certain potential vegetation with maybe a coverage of 90% of wood. But the humans living there need to live on something and they need some "farmland" and some meadows and so on. Even their kind of living needs some wood for fire, production, ships, buildings and fortifications. Even the last war, when the intruders tried to build a superstucture to protect their captured land an they need masses of food and wood would have a big influence on the real vegetation. The point is, that this will be the moment to dipp deeper into the world

In Fact Iīm not too interested in Climates and this things, but I want a world as much realistic as possible

To respond to Maezar:

All of the elevations are dreamed up. In fact, I first started whith a hand-made copy of the european Alps with some four levels of elevetion, but I modified the hills and mountains so that after some days I deleted the copied lines. One reason was, that they were far away from my desired degree of detailing.

So I started to work my own way. Working in Illustrator is quite funny but got lots of risk: I often got too deep and worked hours and hours for a region with about 50x50 km and when you scale the map back to the whole continent, this work is just a very small region, where none of this immense work is visible. Itīs a learning process but Iīm not sure, when this elevation-map will be finished.. ;)

If you want to I will do a mini tutorial inside this post :)

Meshon
09-25-2013, 11:50 PM
I am really impressed! I really like working in Illustrator but I often take my work over to Photoshop before too long. But this... I would definitely vote for a tutorial on your mountains if you can spare the time. But keep on the map, it is really amazing.

cheers,
Meshon

randigpanzrall
10-10-2013, 02:54 PM
So the first idea of potential vegetation has formed in my mind:

I think, the next steps will be more interesting and easier, Iīll start a political map for the present world system, than focus on important regions and than create a more artistic world map. Canīt wait to get deeper into this world, where the history was already in my mind for months.

randigpanzrall
11-25-2013, 05:19 PM
Today I will add a political map of the continent:

I know, it looks very colorful, but the northern political Units (with the outlined fat border) are the United Kingdoms, which consist of some more or less strong Kingdoms itself. They all confederate under the Holy Crown of the United Kingdoms but they kept a certain status of independance..

The light grey regions are not political organised, what doesnīt mean, they donīt belong to someone - This areas are widely unknown ore just frequently inhabited by nomads, Clans, families and so on.

The dark grey areas are poltical areas with non-human population, like Dwarfs or something (what has to be defined later)