PDA

View Full Version : Oraven - The Cold Hell - Fantasy map

- Max -
07-31-2013, 10:29 AM
Hi all,

After the Savage Lands (http://www.cartographersguild.com/finished-maps/23922-oraven-savage-lands-fantasy-map.html)and the Red Moors (http://www.cartographersguild.com/finished-maps/24049-oraven-red-moors-fantasy-map.html), here's the third map of Oraven's serie : the Cold Hell. According to some myths of Oraven, the lands of the north were once the domain of the ancient gods, a paradise on earth .... until their sudden and unexplained disappearance. Since those ancient times, the paradise turned into a hell of snow and frost, ruled by cold and icy winds, from the southern toundra regions to the northern glaciers

It's all done in photpshop. Original map's size is 14"x19". WIP thread is here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/regional-world-mapping/24137-wip-oraven-cold-hell.html). Thanks to those who supported and commented it :)

Hope you'll like it, comments are welcome!

Feel free to rate, rep or run away :)

Eilathen
07-31-2013, 11:51 AM
Another awesome addendum to the Oraven World. Well done!

A question: do you have new mountains on this one? Or are those the same as in the Red Moors map?

Have some Rep.! (I hope i can) Edit: Gah! I still can't... :x
And a "like", as always ;)

- Max -
07-31-2013, 01:55 PM
Thank you Eilathen, comment appreciated. I hope the next one will be good aswell ;) Oh and those mountains aren't the same as the ones in the Red Moors map.

Eilathen
07-31-2013, 02:13 PM
Oh and those mountains aren't the same as the ones in the Red Moors map.

Hah! See, i knew my mountain-vision is invincible!! :D

And i'm sure the next one will be superb as well. Any idea what is next, theme-wise?
Oh and btw, i'd like to see a worldmap, even if it's just a rough one to see which region belongs where etc. ;)

arsheesh
08-01-2013, 12:17 AM
Another beauty. Oh, and it looks as though my rep wand has recharged so I can finally zap you!

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

- Max -
08-01-2013, 05:13 AM
Thanks much Arsheesh!
@ Eilathen : Yes I already have the idea of the next one but still have mixed thoughts about it. You' ll have to wait the next WIP to check it by yourself ;) As for the world map, I already have some ideas about the style I want to go (something that is way different from the regional styles) but I'll have to test it out to see how it will go.

Falconius
08-01-2013, 12:15 PM
I love this whole project. Thank goodness you work so fast, because it doesn't take long to see the next installment :)

Lypheus
08-01-2013, 08:09 PM
Very nice, love the way you transition the detail of the map from south -> north to convey a feeling of desolation (at least that's how I take it).

- Max -
08-02-2013, 05:30 AM
Thanks guys :)
@ Falconius : Hope the next one won't bee too long ;)
@ Lypheus : You got it right, that's what I wanted to do on this one :)

grayfox211
08-04-2013, 10:51 PM
wow this is impressive.

- Max -
08-05-2013, 06:32 PM
Thanks Grayfox :)

Aredhel
09-19-2013, 07:03 PM
Probably my favorite of your Oraven serie! Very nice job, I hope to see more of Oraven maps soon!

- Max -
09-21-2013, 11:14 AM
Thank you :) Still have the Severed Shores WIP (http://www.cartographersguild.com/regional-world-mapping/24216-wip-oraven-severed-shores-fantasy-map.html) to finish and worked lately on the world landmass shape.

Salama
09-26-2013, 02:35 AM
This is just beautiful. I really like your style. Your woods are exactly the way I'd want mine to be, but haven't found a way to make them so yet. Awesome work!

Heru-Zame
09-27-2013, 02:10 AM
Very good maps an draws...

- Max -
09-27-2013, 01:21 PM
Thank you guys, glad you like it :)

L1ghtmare
10-30-2013, 10:11 AM
WOW another beauty! I dont know if this has been discussed before, which tree brushes do you use? Did you design them by yourself?

- Max -
10-30-2013, 11:40 AM
Thanks much :) Here's what i previously explained on another thread about the forests

the forest are some patterns of my own on which I apllied a combination of overpainting and filters then I turned them into new patterns. Once some several blocks patterns are cloned on the map I make some slight dark area on a new layer under the forest one. then I apply 2 highlights made with a custom brush (same color but pressure, opacity and size of the brush different on the 2 highlights).

madbird-valiant
11-04-2013, 12:18 AM
I love these Oraven maps, especially this one - the names are brilliant.

Is Oraven the setting for anything? Like are you writing fiction or anything? And also, assuming it isn't an original font, what's the font used on the maps? It's great.

- Max -
11-04-2013, 06:12 PM
Thanks madbird :) the initial plan was to make an atlas with the Oraven maps. I'll finish it when I'll find the time :D As for the font, it's optimus princeps.

Rush Wingate
11-05-2013, 05:09 PM
Love the dreary feel here!

- Max -
11-06-2013, 07:40 AM
Thanks ! Yup I wanted that the map show that cold and dreary ambience of this region :)